Enthralled by Rise of Flight

[]_--__[]KITT

Yeah it's that WWI warplane sim. I downloaded the demo and eventhough at first try it didn't impress me but after figuring how to play it I'm enthralled by it.

The menu background piano melody, the graphics that add to your immersion....the rainfall drops on your goggles that seem surreal....

It's damn fine game......The demo allows you to play 2 type of planes one French and the other German with almost no restriction so you can play SP(career, missions) and MP for both planes.

If you pay 35 bucks you'll get 8+1 more planes in total I think.

It's a fabulous game and I'm very very tempted to spend. I'll wait until my excitement recedes before deciding whether to spend money for the full version.:)

Fan clip

The simplicity of these early warplanes is captivating. It's almost like they were constructed out of Da Vinci technical drawing. I mean the cockpit panel is wood and pretty much exposed thus you can see a lot of mechanism. It's almost an art than an engineering feat.

You don't feel rushed playing this even the task of simply flying to objective is as thrilling as the action itself somehow. You get a sense of elegance and chivlary in every dogfight and you don't feel upset when another player shoot you down simply because the dogfighting itself is much like an elegant royal dance in the air or an orchestrated ballet.

The sound of your airplane passing by is not intimidating it's that quiet and low and muffled chug chug chug, almost like the plane is trying not to wake up anyone and the forest and saying pardon me excuse me, pardon me passing, as it glides through the air. You don't meet overhwhelming enemy or friendly aircraft so furball is not often and because the aircraft is slow compared to their WWII counterpart you don't feel rushed even when dogfighting.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is the immersion is there that put you back in time back to early 1900s.

And if you don't have good joystick that's non issue as you can set easy piloting with realistic flight physics with or without autorudder. So u only need to fly the plane not fighting it with keyboard. I use this as my joystick is not really that good and the twist rudder is now broken. :)

Another clip

Im thinking even to replace my sig with that from Rise of Flight hehehehe, maybe later.

Indeed, the game's a blast. Even though I avoid online play, as most servers are full realism only and lacking Track IR I have a hard time fighting while managing my radiator and mixture settings, but I have a grand time with the rotary DR-I and Sopwith Camel.

Oh yeah online. I get shot down all the time most of the time not realizing what shot me down hehehe. I don't have track IR too and I avoid buying PC camera for use with free track and without head track flying online is a huge disadvantage. I still go online for the heck of it. At least I can make it hard for them to target me and sometimes I can do that ballet in the air for a few minute before getting shot down hehehe(it all feels like slow motion IL-2 dogfight heheh). They actually give you score for that too even I think. I don't care it's fun(maybe because the winning desease hasn't caught me for this game hehe). But yeah I enjoy the single player most(my setting my terms).:)

Hehehe finally got my first kill against an AI plane, took quite a few minutes. I was flying with the keyboard(I know shame on me). I better set up my joystick. Though flying isn't a hassle with easy piloting it's quite hard to track enemy plane well with keyboard so it took longer to bring them down. And because I couldn't track very well I was hitting the enemy plane in potshots and basically hitting him everywhere. In the end it was spewing a a whitish fuel leak contrail and a black smoke trail and had visible damages on his left wing. When he tried to climb after a shallow dive the damaged wing structure just gave way sending him tumbling down and ripping the other wing too in mid air as a result.

I changed my signature. I don't mean to offend anyone or Esim. The Albatros D Va is the plane I made my first kill. I took the screenshots after I made my kill in that mission(career mode). If the sig is too long I'll be happy to shorten it. it's already made 100 pixel tall. Pure screenhots without digital enhancements.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

I don't mean to spam this thread of mine but I can't help feeling still excited.

Finally bought the game(upgraded the demo) and a couple field modifications.

Have added a bomber to my air to air kill and two planes on the ground destroyed with dropped bombs.

This is the Spad XIII on the way home after destroying 2 planes on the ground at enemy airfield. We took off with 4 planes including me. 2 Planes crashed amid the dogfighting, one killed and another captured and only me and another friendly pilot made it back to land at the base.

SpadXIII.jpg

I'd recommend this game definitely. The demo gives you FULL access(SP and MP) to 2 very fine planes this French Spad XIII and German Albatros D Va WITH full skins choice, field modifications and weapon upgrades(additional weapon) that you can install(optional). It is worth downloading even only for those 2 planes. NO time limit for the demo.

The flight model seems very realistic and the default joystick response curves are extremely sensitive.

One can smooth things out by using the S curve settings and adjusting them to your liking. For ex: on the Spad XIII at almost any power setting but idle the thing tends to climb with hands off the joystick. By using the joystick response curves and shifting the S down you can smooth out the jitters and trim the craft for level flight at almost any power setting.

That said: ROF is a great simulation - lacks the soul of the early 90's Microprose sim Knights of the Sky or Sierra's Red Baron but still a really good sim.

Recommended for anyone interested in WWI air combat.

Caveat: The business model is built on DLC. With the initial purchase you get 7 or 8 planes, a couple of gunsights and the simulation. Adding planes, maps, and accesories can get quite expensive but according to the publisher that's how they can afford to keep adding to and updating the thing. FWIW the planes and accesories that come with the base game IMO will do 90% of gamers just fine.

Yeah you just have to control yourself but that also means you get to enjoy periodic updates and fixes for free too.

This game can easily cost you a total 150-200 bucks in my estimate if you buy everything( ALL of the following: planes, cockpit modifications, additional optional weapons and pilot belongings)

SpadXIIIbetter.jpg

But if you are kinda broke atm even the demo is a full game with the two fine planes I mentioned.

As for control you can choose to fly with easy piloting and auto rudder so u don't have to fight the plane with your joystick or keyboard yet still enjoy realistic physics setting(you only need to fly the plane with the virtual pilot doing his best with his hands on the stick to keep it steady). What I'm saying it can be as hard or as easy as you would like it to be. And the gem is if you can play this with a friend either with Team speak voice chat or if you want to try the realistic way with handsignals in game. This kind of game should be enjoyed with friends.

Ah I see. Some people are selling their RoF account(it is allowed)

So if anyone thinking to get huge discount of owning all or almost all DLC that may be the best option. The login email can be changed if support is contacted.

I'm trying to convince a friend to try it at least I would be able to fly a co-op with someone I know(setting up own MP session)

I used to be big in to flight sims back in the 90s, but lost interest in most of them over time.

My favorite WWI sim was Red Baron. I tried one other WWI game online, but my old dialup connection couldn't keep up.

One player had a real slick skin for his Albatross D.V. He had a eagle in flight with the bird's spread wings on the top of the upper wing and bottom of the lower wing surfaces and the eagle's body on the sides of the fuselage. It looked quite impressive. I don't recall the name of the sim though.

I used to be big in to flight sims back in the 90s, but lost interest in most of them over time.

My favorite WWI sim was Red Baron. I tried one other WWI game online, but my old dialup connection couldn't keep up.

One player had a real slick skin for his Albatross D.V. He had a eagle in flight with the bird's spread wings on the top of the upper wing and bottom of the lower wing surfaces and the eagle's body on the sides of the fuselage. It looked quite impressive. I don't recall the name of the sim though.

Hmm I asssume you're no longer on dial up today :). If so the demo gives 2 free planes and that is 2 very good planes along with the gifted payable cockpit modifications and weapon modifications.

I have a weakness that when I enjoy a certain free to play game and think that the scheme is generous then I tend to spend my money. Rise of flight is not an MMO sort to speak but they really gives you free full access to two planes and two very good planes along with all the related DLC for those planes. That's quite generous.:)

I never tried Red Baron but played F-19 Stealth Fighter DOS game and that was my first flight sim hehehehe, a friend lent me that. I quit PC gaming after DOS and only got a computer again when it was the time of Windows 98. My first bought flight sim is the Falcon 4 I still have the box, manual and the CD is still pristine and now installed as BMS 4.32with latest patch.....Rise of Flight is my first and only WWI flight sim or any WWI sim hehehe.

F19stealthfighter_box_front.jpg

f19-cockpit.gif

The model of that F-19 hehehe

f19da_01.jpg

f19da_15.jpg

I must say pretty impressive.

I had "F-19 Stealth Fighter" too. Primitive, but fun for it's day.

Heh back then I was so happy playing it. It was like the coolest thing to play.

I have DSL now.

:) Give this a try? Back to the romance of the early 20th century...:debile2:

albatross_D_Va_rhinebeck_2008.jpg

(Real photo)

Hehehe I'm just kidding I'm not forcing anyone to try this. Just wish more people would give it a try hehehe.

*Putting on my swimming goggles and turning on the desk fan in front of me......*

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

I have ROF, played online too. As usual, modern life (job, family, CHILDREN) have cut this out to a great degree. It's fun, but I find I just dabble in quick offline scenarios with everything I play nowdays - can be paused, doesn't waste a ton of time if/when something crashes, avoids the problem of not being able to save etc etc. I am 'time poor' :(

Yeah family man/woman almost never has time for himself/herself.

But an hour should already be more than enough to play a mission in career or online. If not a quickmission should not take more than 10-15 minutes at most.

Playing game isn't a commitment it's a leisure activity thus we spend what we can and like.

I don't play anything more than an hour these days. Somehow after at most an hour I just get bored. Even an hour is long, at most I play a 15-40 min a game.