T-72's and nightvision

Maj.Hans

Okay...I understand that the T-72's IR system was (is) basically total crap.

However, the other thing I noticed is that it's actually possible to see targets further and easier through the primary sight at night than it is through the IR sights!

Is this correct?! Were the Russian IR systems THAT crappy or is the SB model for IR currently messed up a little bit?

Second, is there any chance we could see the option to tweak the IR sight? For example, to set it's performance levels similar to the NVGs or to act as a thermal sight? I know it's a simulator, but it still might be interesting to see how that would effect the T-72's capability.

Oh and lastly...Does it actually elevate with the main gun when reloading?

I think the main problem with the IR-system of the 72 is that we are currently not able to switch on the IR-ilumination-light. The IR-system isnt a passive sensor like the thermals, it needs an active IR-source to work properly.

BTW what sais the "LIST" to adding this feature?

I think the main problem with the IR-system of the 72 is that we are currently not able to switch on the IR-ilumination-light. The IR-system isnt a passive sensor like the thermals, it needs an active IR-source to work properly.

But of course to someone with TI, an active IR searchlight is a massive sign with “Shoot here!” written all over it. :)

So I guess be careful what you wish for.

• Moderators

I think the problem in this specific case is the minimum light level setting. If you want to have a scenario featuring the T-72 IR sight then make sure the minimum light level is very low. With graphical enhancements (eventually) then the current ambient light issue here will be less of a problem, and yes, with the eventual ability to turn on the IR light then the range will increase (at the expense of vulnerability).

Yeah, the use of IR-lights is like a big "here i am sign". But the whole system used without active illumination is like trying to see throught closed eyelids.

BTW which western vehicle has a IR sensor on board these days? the TIS should not be able to see the light itself so what is left is the NV googles of the crew? Are these commonly used?

It is a pretty horrible system.

I understand that there were actually several generations of IR equipment, with each successive generation being better able to function without the use of an illuminator.

I just think it would be interesting to be able to play around with the function of the night sight, for example you might set up a scenario, discover that the T-72s loose every time, and then ask the question "But what if they could just see their targets?". Or even to set the IR sight to work as a normal day-sight to get a feel for how the reticle works with various ammunition might be helpful.

Israeli accounts from the 1973 Yom Kippur/October War typically gave the advantage to Arab T-55s and T-62s equipped with IR illuminators- from a historical perspective, when your opponent had them and you didn't have anything comparable, it's much better than nothing. In some cases in near total darkness other than illumination sources from burning vehicles, Arab tanks could get inside Israeli defenses and fighting would occur at very short ranges.

You really had to appreciate the skill and courage some individual tank crews displayed when they were completely outmatched in most qualitative and quantitative terms in order to fight through a disadvantage like that.

You really had to appreciate the skill and courage some individual tank crews displayed when they were completely outmatched in most qualitative and quantitative terms in order to fight through a disadvantage like that.

Agreed. The Israeli tankers of The Six Day War and Yom Kippur were tanker's tankers. The sweep through the Sinai in '67 and defence of the Golan in '73 are classics of armoured warfare in my opinion.

Of course, the Centurion helped ;)

BTW which western vehicle has a IR sensor on board these days? the TIS should not be able to see the light itself so what is left is the NV googles of the crew? Are these commonly used?

Only the early generations of Leo1/M60/AMX30/Chieftain (probably Centurions too) used active IR. It quickly fell out of favor and was replaced by image intensifiers.

The TIS should not be able to see the light itself ...

Why not?

These tend to get hot pretty quickly (indeed that was the test to see if they were in fact working if you fired it up during daylight, since they didn't emit visible light).

Certainly I could see Leo I's using "active IR" like "dogs balls" through our surveillance TI.