Is it feasible to make original SB free or sold again for promotional purposes?

[]_--__[]KITT

I mean to introduce more people to the concept and feel of contemporary armor warfare and to make them appreciative(liking) the concept and gameplay of armor warfare.

The original SB had great gameplay feel to it.

If it's not compatible with Vista or Windows 7 it should be made to and either sold again or distributed free as a platform to introduce people to Steel Beasts Pro PE.

I'm not aware of course of the business and technical feasibility of this small idea I just thought I'd probably buy it for small amount of money for the feel and nostalgia alone.

Strangely the most lasting impression I had with Esim game is with the original Steel Beasts. Its gameplay was really great. I could feel the severity of armor warfare in it.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

I doubt this will happen.

Ssnake, Alex, Raino, Chris & Lucas have a lot on their plates already.

Plus it is a major departure from their business model, and for very little/no reward.

So, in short, no, it won't happen for a long time.

(We'll more likely get a playble Cheiftain (*Hint* :)) before this.)

I doubt this will happen.

Ssnake, Alex, Raino, Chris & Lucas have a lot on their plates already.

Plus it is a major departure from their business model, and for very little/no reward.

So, in short, no, it won't happen for a long time.

(We'll more likely get a playble Cheiftain (*Hint* :)) before this.)

Playable Chieftain tank is great...hopefully with interior too:biggrin:

The financial returns may seem to be nonexistent but I think it would be a good platform to promote SB Pro PE.

SB had a terrific gameplay with the unforgiving nature of armor warfare well simulated. Never mind the graphics is you played SB you would be hooked to it.

The thing is some people like me only spend money after being given something for free. I spent about 80 bucks within weeks of playing Rise of Flight. I spent about the same amount within weeks playing the free Star Trek Online too. If those game didn't offer anything free I wouldn't spend any money on either of them. By giving a little something there might be a chance Esim will get bigger returns in the end though I must admit giving one or two tanks free in SB Pro PE would probably be more effective. I don't know I just have weakness if a company treats me generously.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Why do this when we now have a two week demo programme in place?

Costs the person $0 (apart from the cost of downloading) and they can enjoy the full package 24/7 for 2 weeks.

Surely long enough to make up their minds if they want to buy it or not?

Yeah only a demo would only enable potential customers a limited time to try out the game and to actually get attached to (liking) the game.

Some people like me avoid demo with limited time span.

If there's something free that can be played indefinitely both offline and online then those people will be introduced to the community and have time to actually get attached to the game and changed their mind eventually. :)

But yeah just an opinion for all its 2 cents worth.

_--__[]KITT;219751']If there's something free that can be played indefinitely both offline and online then those people will be introduced to the community and have time to actually get attached to the game and changed their mind eventually. :)

But even if they did it people wouldn't be playing the game but its precedessor.

So no doubt they'd come here and ask "Why can't I do this?" or "This sucks because ...".

It a bit like asking people to try out broadband by giving them a 14.4 modem connection. :)

Honestly, it was playing the original that convinced me to buy Pro PE.

The two week demo is great and all, but I spent years playing SB Gold, had plenty of time to learn all about how modern tanks work, and knew from playing that that it was something I'd come back to over and over again.

If you're a completely new player, the two week demo might not be enough to even learn how to work the sim, let alone decide if it's something that would get lots of use or if it's something like the new FPS games that are good for about one play through.

Honestly, I think it would be enough for them to release it free.

There may not be any need for them to modify it to work under Windows 7.

I haven't really kept pace with it, but there's some software out there called a "Virtual PC" or "Virtual Machine". Basically, you can use a software program to simulate a second PC running an OS that SB Gold is compatible with, such as Windows 98, as long as your existing computer can handle the demands of it's normal operating system and the virtual PC.

Then again, the eSim crew could always release the source code for SB Gold and let somebody else worry about updating it to run on Windows 7...Hell I'd be more than happy to just play around with the old one for giggles.

Edit:

To expound on what I mean by the resource restrictions, if your PC has 4gb of RAM and a 2gb quad core, your VM will have to simulate a PC with less than 4gb of RAM and a processor less powerful than a 2gb quad core. You have to allow for the needs of the normal OS and background programs, plus the VM software and the virtual PC itself. However, if your goal is to simulate a 20 year old PC that would have had 512mb of RAM and something like a 1.2gb processor running Windows 98 so you can play SB Gold...No problem!

• Members
The two week demo is great and all, but I spent years playing SB Gold

That's one of the problems. If the "demo" is a fully featured game of its own, a substantial number of people will play it instead of the program that it is supposed to promote.

Demo software demands technical support. I rather give that to paying customers, given that even my day only has 24 hours. I only seemingly never sleep.

Finally and above all, the software based 3D engine of SB1 was nearly obsolete when it was originally released in 2000. If a revived SB1 was promoted as the "demo" for SB Pro PE, a substantial fraction of people will get the false impression that the current engine still looks like 1997, so it will actively deter people from buying.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Not gonna happen.

Hey I guess it all depends on how you look at it, but I can see your point of view.

From my point of view, I sort of "hit the ground running" with Pro PE. Once I got over the sticker shock and dealing with the dongle, I felt right at home laying waste to hordes of Russian T-tanks and 8 wheel death traps. To me it's essentially SB Gold with awesome graphics and more stuff.

In fact so far the only things that have really made me stumble are the problems I noted elsewhere with manual fire control modes and the Leopard 2 peri, but maybe you could help me with those when you've got a little time? :razz:

But yes, I can certainly see how others might actually get turned off by playing SB Gold, and I've had more than a few people look at the graphics and say that they had no interest whatsoever based solely on the graphics engine..........But for what its worth they're all COD kiddies who wouldn't be able to get their head around the concept of anything more complex than WASD, spacebar, and left-click.