Speaking of main gun ammo, how about a historical guide?

Maj.Hans

As I'm sure many of you already know, it's relatively easy to find information about the vehicles themselves. It's even relatively easy to find information about the guns, and the modern ammunition in service like the M829 series of ammunition.

However, sometimes the earlier cold war era stuff can be kinda elusive.

For example, with 105mm ammunition, there's an "M735/M" listed along with the other sabot rounds. I'm familiar with the M735 and the M735A1, but I have no idea what the significance of the "/M" is. Similarly, the Centauro and some of the other vehicles with 105s have an "ME-456A1" HEAT round listed, and if you punch that into google, the only reference you find is in the SB wiki.

I seem to recall that SB Gold shipped with a document that explained the history of the Russian tank ammunition, what the different models were, and when it would be appropriate to select particular models for certain scenarios. I'd love to see a similar write up for all the new stuff we've got. Even if some of the ammo is actually just a licensed produced copy or something, it would be helpful to know that "X is the American copy of the British Y" for example.

Then again, maybe I'm weird because I love all this kind of trivia.

Well there already is a "choosing ammunition" document in the "docs" folder of your installation.

Have you actually had a look at that yet?

While an excellent document, it seems to be the same one shipped with SB Gold, and covers only 125mm and 120mm NATO.

I'd like to see a similar document, but also with some little history about the rounds, at least what we think/know.

• Members
While an excellent document, it seems to be the same one shipped with SB Gold, and covers only 125mm and 120mm NATO.

That's correct.

That being said, the ammo selection dialog should show a date of introduction (if I could find one) and some basic performance stats.

If the DoI is missing, well, that's because I haven't managed to dig out anything either. My best source is the Jane's Ammunition Handbook of 2009. Unfortunately, while they seem to track many stats for each round, the introduction date is usually not among it. The next best way is Google, or asking TankNet for opinions. But I don't want to appear fleecing that community for info all of the time. That being said, maybe you can go and ask there, and let me know what your thread is, and I'll try to update missing info in the SB code base.

Theres lots of info out there on the net, but I was hoping you could just tell us what you know about the rounds, as I'm sure you've done the research already.

The lack of info seems to be mostly with more obscure rounds. Like the "M735/M" that I mentioned as an example. I'm familiar with the vanilla M735, and the M735A1, but I've never heard of an M735/M and the designation system seems kinda weird to me too.

I suspect he means drawing on their goodwill to provide information for "free" (esp. as the representative of a commercial firm).

One or two favours is probably fine, a multi page list of information requests is probably pushing the friendship, esp. as its for limited return (in terms of the number of people asking for this information).

Edited by Gibsonm

I'd have to sort through my papers to see where this M735/M came from. I see that it's not listed in the Jane's Handbook, so it must be from a different source. Just HOW important is this to you?

No need to go on a quest or anything!

This is sort of one of those "If you happen to know right now off the top of your head, please tell me, if you don't, then thanks for your time" type things.

I just find it interesting to read stuff like this:

http://fofanov.armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/ARM/apfsds/ammo.html

And wish we had something like that that covered the rounds from all of the nationalities.

(You can probably forget about the stats table though, I'm sure the velocity and penetration numbers in SB are plenty close enough already)

I suspect he means drawing on their goodwill to provide information for "free" (esp. as the representative of a commercial firm).

One or two favours is probably fine, a multi page list of information requests is probably pushing the friendship, esp. as its for limited return (in terms of the number of people asking for this information).

The difference between fraud and annoying people with information requests could entail criminal intent and/or perhaps some kind of civil liability.

Now while I understand the courtesy and the need to keep up good relations, I've never known people at Tanknet to be too humble, either. It's a very ego driven forum for a game of one upmanship between the rivet counters. I doubt there's too much in the expectation of compensation other than perhaps at most credits given in the manual. In those cases where there is adult behavior at Tanknet, I don't think they are that naive to believe that they are being conned or something for free information. They will either take the time to be bothered to give it or they won't, but I'd be pretty sure the expectations are rather set up front. Pages of requests are probably more a matter of etiquette, I agree there.

• Members

According to my dictionary, "to fleece s.o." has more than just the meaning of criminal activity. I acknowledge however that Webster's doesn't list those other meanings, so it may be a case of being lost in translation.

Please don't report me to the language police.

So I'll preface what I'm going to say next, lest anyone think my first best passion in life is not studying and conquering women but being pedantic with ordinary meaning of words with y'all.

You wouldn't call the grammar police, though- that covers the rules and structure of language, not necessarily its meaning (pragmatics, semiotics, semantics, etc.). Remember, women interest me more, but it's true what I said.