Is a change to the "Impotent" option's behavior possible?

Maj.Hans

I managed to talk one of my friends into at least trying SB for a little bit to see if he liked it at all. Before I started him playing, I tried to set up a few sort of easy scenarios to let him learn the ropes while getting an idea of what the game is like.

So I made a scenario with a few T-55s guarding a town, set them to impotent, and talked him through all the buttons while he shot them up.

Something that I noticed though was that even when the tanks set to impotent scored direct hits, quite literally nothing happened. In fact the shells seemed to just disappear upon impact. I'm pretty sure he was too busy figuring out all the fire control stuff, but it was pretty obvious to me.

What I'd like to know is if we could get another version of the "Impotent" option added so that when an enemy vehicle scores a hit, the player still hears the the "Crash!" when the sabot or missile hits him? The way it is right now I feel like if enemy units are set to impotent to reduce the difficulty in a scenario, they don't give the new player any feedback to let them know that they're too exposed.

...they don't give the new player any feedback to let them know that they're too exposed.

Well, if they are shooting at him, then he's too exposed. :)

Another idea would be to give the red side the worst available ammunition for the specific vehicles. That way you'll hear the impacts, but the damage won't be as severe.

I thought they do make a crash when they hit your vehicle, they just don't do any damage, hence "impotent". If you were not hearing any hits than I suspect the pitiful T-55s were missing your vehicle. Set them to T-72 and see how it sounds.

HTH,

Mog

The other option I've done for this is damage the main gun and the crew commander's weapon (this was in scenarios where the Blue vehicle can be an APC so a working 12.7 / 0.50" would still be pretty deadly).

That way the coax is intact and the "ting, ting, ting" lets you know that not only were you too exposed but the enemy was able to effectively engage you. :)

All very good ideas. I just figured that hearing the rounds hit would provoke more of a reaction when we're trying to train new players.

I know when I'm in a scenario and I hear that, it usually means it's time to pop smoke, slam the hatch, and reverse!