We love screenshots

stalintc

Its not everyday you get to hull down ambush a Scorpion in a BRDM-2. Happened while testing my new mission im working on, the T-55 across the river was feeding me occasional location updates so I hid me and the 2 BTR-60s on the riverbank and found a nice little spot and when he crested the hill and unloaded on him with 14.5. API.

Later on I managed to dodge a dragon shot in a BTR-60 having it fly within 2 or 3 feet of the front of the vehicle it felt like but the AAR only showed it about halfway to me and then an explosion in the bushes behind me so not very interesting.

SS_20_24_57.jpg

SS_20_25_08.jpg

SS_20_26_03.jpg

SS_20_26_08.jpg

SS_20_26_37.jpg

51 minutes ago, iamfritz said:

And how do I make it happen more?

I've been able to get commander-out-of-the-hatch shots only when using the AAR. The position/state of the commander (and gunner, too, if he has a hatch) is recorded in the AAR, so you can force it (QQ) in a vehicle you crew, then get the pic in the AAR world view after ending the mission. But I don't recall ever seeing an AI crew model in the exposed position -- even when no enemy is present on the map.

I'd like to get shots like that at runtime, which it looks like you have. 

Assuming it only happens in user-crewed vehicles, I wonder if maybe it could be done while running two instances of SB (with two screens). Crew the commander's position of the vehicle in one instance; get the screenie or record the vid on the other screen in the 3D world view? 

Is it possible you were doing something like that when you got the above shots?

Might be worth some experimentation.

25 minutes ago, Splash said:

I've been able to get commander-out-of-the-hatch shots only when using the AAR. The position/state of the commander (and gunner, too, if he has a hatch) is recorded in the AAR, so you can force it (QQ) in a vehicle you crew, then get the pic in the AAR world view after ending the mission. But I don't recall ever seeing an AI crew model in the exposed position -- even when no enemy is present on the map.

image.thumb.jpeg.88978651bf2c94af269a86ccb2138c71.jpeg

SS_17_27_16.jpg

i've seen it happen in soviet bloc equipment where the TC may ride up out of the hatch for the entire duration of the scenario, assuming the vehicle doesn't come under fire or approach a tree canopy, forcing the TC back down; i think this tends to occur when the vehicle is not under direct player control and the TC has finished engaging with the heavy machine gun, and for some reason doesn't enter into reload cycle- thereby riding out of the hatch, and in this state the vehicle can be moved around as much as you like and he stays up

This happened toward the end of a mission. No AAR made yet. The enemy was actually kinda retreating and I was lining up my elements for a wall attack against the city. I was only playing from my tank's TC position throughout- using IVIS map for all my commands, never leaving except for an F8 view if there was something cool, which I'm usually too busy to notice. He was searching back and forth with his face.  I don't think the other TCs did it, tho, just me.

• Members
1 hour ago, Poofydoodle said:

Heres some guys who had a very bad day while playtesting a new mission im working on.

Better a 20mm HE to the head than bleeding to death from 35 fragments all over the body (while being burned alive in a car wreck), had you missed him.

54 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Better a 20mm HE to the head than bleeding to death from 35 fragments all over the body (while being burned alive in a car wreck), had you missed him.

When you put it that way it almost sounds like a vacation haha.

And yeah nerding out in this games aar has probably made me fear spalling and fragments inside an armored vehicle more than almost anything on the battlefield.

Yes especially on soft vehicles. An armed truck seems pretty cool until you see the path 200 pieces of shrapnel took though the crew cabinet and windshield.

Or earlier in tbat same mission jumping a btr50 from the side and taking out half the discounts with 20mm pads. Or hitting a weak spot where the lower front meets the bottom and having 4 or 5 pieces of shrapnel come up through the floor maiming the driver and commander.

You start to see why apcs have gotten so much stronger as capable man portable at  weapons become more common.

• Members

...and why IFVs like the CV90/35 are nowhere the same as a BMP-1; it's made to accommodate taller soldiers, today's EU workplace safety regulations are radically different from 1960s Soviet Union standards, and you want thicker armor. So the internal volume is substantially larger, the armor is thicker, the gun heavier, and we're already in the mass range that used to be reserved for 1960s MBTs.

Well, that gun approaches 1960s 90mm AP shot performance as well, in all fairness. Crazy, if you think about it.

Yep and the tungsten balls in the airburst ammo are so heavy that they make mist of  of inf and make dents in the barrel of a Leopard 2A6 so it can't fire plus removing all external stuff like antennas Periscopes glass sights but that we haven't yet mastered in the damage model last i checked so that is only irl, and the rounds for that are more expensive then a 120mm round.
But to be fair its been a while and is prolly exceedingly hard to do and last you said you where still implementing stuff on the damage model so it might be there just me not knowing. 👍

MD

Edited by Major duck

16 hours ago, Ssnake said:

and we're already in the mass range that used to be reserved for 1960s MBTs.

I seem to remember a trend around the mid 2000s of designs using the hulls of old mbts to make into ifvs. I remember being a teenager and downloading a mod of a BTR-T for operation flashpoint which I think was a t55 or t72 hull ifv with either a dual barreled or 30mm cannon or a remote turret with a 30mm and 2 atgms. That introduced me to the idea and I seem to remember quite a few proposals around that time to make old mbts into troop carriers.

A far cry from the days of the btr60 when having an open top roof was considered acceptable haha.