stalintc

We love screenshots

Played today in the AD-HOC game:

OPERATION PEACE FOR GALILEE

by Connaugh

SITUATION:

PLO attacks on Israel have been increasing since the 1981 ceasefire.

MISSION:

Israeli forces are to launch a three-pronged invasion of southern Lebanon in "Operation Peace for Galilee" to destroy the PLO and eject the Syrians.

EXECUTION:

Western Force is to advance up the Coastal Plain and capture Tyre, Sidon, and Beirut.

Central Force is to advance up the Lebanon Mountains, take Beaufort, Nabatya, Marjayoun, Jezzine and cut the Beirut-Damascus Highway at Ein Sofar.

Bekaa Force will advance up the eastern slopes of the Lebanon Mountains, the Bekaa Valley and the western slopes of the Anti-Lebanon Mountains, capturing Hasbarya, Karoun, Rashaya, Sultan Yacoub and destroy any Syrian Armor encountered.

Three batteries of artillery (18 tubes) will be on call.

Israeli Force Composition:

Western: 1 x M60A3 platoon; 1 x Merkava  section; 1 x M113 Mech Infantry section; 1 x Merkava  Amphibious platoon.

Central:   1 x M60A3 platoon; 1 x Merkava section; 1 x M113 Mech Infantry section

Bekaa:     2 x M60A3 platoons; 2 x Merkava sections; 1 x M113 Mech Infantry section

CSS includes Repair, Medical, and Supply with each force.

Merkava tanks include troops.

Syrian Armor is comprised of T-72A and T-62 tanks.

PLO Armor is comprised of T-55A tanks.

Syrian and PLO infantry have anti-tank weapons.

Operation Peace for Galilee

c70IDPv.jpg

Central Force advancing

4SmyZ8A.jpg

Western Force advancing

OhBcOm7.jpg

Central Force destroying PLO tank near Beaufort Castle

m5YCC7q.jpg

Central Force after clearing Beaufort Castle

mACx5An.jpg

Western Force infantry advancing on Tyre

Evg7byB.jpg

Bekaa Force at Hasbarya

gWjzeh7.jpg

Israeli infantry clearing village

YrNnyLp.jpg

PLO killed at Jezzine by Central Force

R6zfv0a.jpg

Amphibious Merkava platoon landed at Sidon

ap7e6Fo.jpg

PLO tank killed at Sidon

ELmDjSu.jpg

Bekka Force ambushed at Sultan Yacoub

geGJiss.jpg

Western Force at Beirut

GX4EuoK.jpg

Beirut captured by Western Force

kpWEP1d.jpg

Mission ended with nine of twelve objectives cleared.

9Mn3Wwf.jpg

Edited by Connaugh

4 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

Wheat field ambush:

eQECrXD.jpg

How do you make grass/wheat "grow" this tall?

I didn't make the map, but when editing map themes in the map editor you can set the ground cover height up to 1 meter.

For the screenshot I also set the ground cover setting to 100 in the terrain detail distance controls so the ground cover was rendered as far away as possible.

Edited by Rotareneg

This is not necessarily a good thing for the frame rate, nor does it hide you from computer-controlled units, at least not yet.

Yeah, I only do that for screenshots I take from AARs.  I use DSR (a nVidia feature that lets you use higher resolutions than your screen natively supports) to run SB at 4k and position the camera with the graphics turned down. When I've got the shot lined up I turn everything up for the actual screenshot. Then I use GIMP to remove the camera facing in the top right corner (the ALT-H function doesn't work when viewing an AAR.) Finally I load the image in Lightroom to adust brightness, saturation, white balance, etc.

Well, it could almost look like that if you were willing to tolerate a low frame rate. This is about pretty screenshots, after all. 

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

This is not necessarily a good thing for the frame rate, nor does it hide you from computer-controlled units, at least not yet.

Which, the ground height cover or the render distance?

For example, will setting a ground height cover to say 0.75m, improve frame rates compared to 1.0m?

And if so is it proportional - reducing by 25% results in a roughly 25% improvement in frame rates?

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Ah so in other words it looks nothing like the in game view? ;)

Well, yes: even at 1920x1080, playing with the terrain detail sliders set to max is a bit taxing on my old computer. As far as the editing I do goes, here's the unedited screenshots to compare to the three I posted earlier. I normally play SB with post-processing turned on, but at times it can over-expose the sky so when taking screenshots sometimes I'll take two, one with and one without post-processing to see which works better.

No post-processing:

etcvBgk.jpg

Post-processing:

b0ipnkn.jpg

No post-processing (the one I used in the previous post):

9EYMpgT.jpg

Post-processing enabled, with over-exposed sky:

2GOApEv.jpg

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

For example, will setting a ground height cover to say 0.75m, improve frame rates compared to 1.0m?

No, not at all.

35 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

No, not at all.

Thanks for clarifying, I knew extending the render distance had an impact but wasn't sure about the ground height.

I guess the added occlusion can have an effect - particularly if the point of view is close to the ground. I've never tested it. But I'd expect it to be much smaller (if measurable at all) than extending the range for ground clutter (and thus inflating the number of billboards proportional to the square of the range increase).

With my GTX 760, the 1 meter and 0.75 meter height areas in the attached test scenario max out my GPU and bog down badly when looking through the ATGM sight with the ground cover distance set to 100%. It's basically a worst case scenario of overdraw where each pixel on the screen is having to be written to thousands of times per frame due to the stacked transparent textures.

ground_clutter_height_performace.7z

Edited by Rotareneg

Some shots from a fictional 1982 matchup near Suwon, S. Korea. From a single-player mission dpabrams is working on. Skins are (mostly) stock; grass and terrain are mods by dpabrams.

SS_01_29_20.jpg

SS_01_31_35.jpg

SS_00_26_12.jpg

SS_02_05_29.jpg

SS_00_35_31.jpg