Jump to content

We love screenshots


stalintc
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Ssnake said:

and we're already in the mass range that used to be reserved for 1960s MBTs.

I seem to remember a trend around the mid 2000s of designs using the hulls of old mbts to make into ifvs. I remember being a teenager and downloading a mod of a BTR-T for operation flashpoint which I think was a t55 or t72 hull ifv with either a dual barreled or 30mm cannon or a remote turret with a 30mm and 2 atgms. That introduced me to the idea and I seem to remember quite a few proposals around that time to make old mbts into troop carriers.

 

A far cry from the days of the btr60 when having an open top roof was considered acceptable haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That map looks great!

 

Also just a suggestion from me after looking at a bunch of maps when trying to build a scenario, if you can include a decent sized area of rural area with dirt and secondary roads and some scattered buildings please do. These big cities and towns are super cool but to have an urban area that's completely empty feels kind of silly and in a smaller scenario its basically impossible to not feel like a ghost town and it kind of ruins immersion.

 

Just something I noticed that most maps are either incredible dense urban areas with tons of roads that would take hours to setup patrol routes and require tons of units with open areas in between but not big enough to make into a combat area or completely empty places devoid of anything.

 

Of course if you already have a plan you're following and dont want to change it or if the map is for a specific scenario dont worry about me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Poofydoodle said:

These big cities and towns are super cool but to have an urban area that's completely empty feels kind of silly and in a smaller scenario its basically impossible to not feel like a ghost town and it kind of ruins immersion.

 

 

Well in the briefing you could include a description about how the local population has abandoned the city in view of the impending attack by X. This would reduce the "where is everyone?" issue.

 

Then scatter some abandoned / destroyed civilian vehicles and perhaps to round it off some IEDs set to detonate at H=0 with resulting road cratering, damaged / destroyed buildings and bridges, etc.

 

Alternatively you can use spawn and drain to create "pattern of life" with civilians and their vehicles with say the spawn stopping when the attackers approach / enter so that the fleeing civilians disappear once the fighting begins.

 

Edited by Gibsonm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I tried to get around the ghost town effect by going smaller-scale. Basically a worker village in a rural area and there's a hostage situation. It's mostly farmland with a small industrial / residential / commercial core. Checked all the boxes, I figured.

 

It's a re-work of a scenario I made a couple of years ago and has a lot more depth now in many key ways, as well as a new layout. It's less of a realistic scenario and more like something from Ghost Recon, but not too ridiculous. I also went for a bit more of a cinematic approach to the design rather than being strictly tank-friendly so it can get a bit cramped but not ridiculously so. There are hints at intended routes and multiple outcomes to try and keep it balanced depending on the approach. Mostly testing that now.

 

Was just aiming for fun really, and to practice with the editors. Planning on expanding it into more of a MP scenario after I finish this version.

SB (1).jpg

SB (3).jpg

SB (4).jpg

SB (5).jpg

SB (6).jpg

 

And naturally there's a rooftop extraction because it's fun:

 

https://imgur.com/WvrZBd7

 

Edited by SippyCup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, DK-DDAM said:

i don't recall that airburst munitions of the 9035 ever made mist of infantry..

👍

 

30mm+x+173+Ahead+(ABM)+KETF+Subprojectil

The above schema is for 30mm and there is a very big difference between the 30mm and the 35mm
 

-35mm AHEAD has 152 3.3g sub-projectiles aimed towards anti aircraft

-35mm KETF has 407 1.24g sub-projectiles ground and air targets

-30mm KETF has 152 1.24g sub-projectiles ground and air targets

 

I was painting a picture but the number tungsten pellets in a Ketf round (and there are 5 rounds in a normal salvo as far as i remember so that makes it 2035 pellets) works like a grape shot (and that has always been described as making a mist).

The 35 mm KETF is a very odd round developed for the Royal Netherlands Army. The decision to develop a round with more payload (of smaller tungsten pellets) compared to the already existing 35 mm AHEAD round was the Dutch requirement to have a high probability of knocking out every optic of a T-80U MBT with a single salvo. However in Swiss testing, two 35 mm AHEAD rounds (each with 152 pellets) already were capable of knocking out all relevant optics of a Pz-68 (upgrade prototype), including the gunner's sight, the two openings of the optical rangefinder, the laser rangefinder, as well as vision blocks of the commander's cupola and the driver. So one has to wonder, if there really is an advantage over the 30 mm KETF round in this regard...
yW15fRT.png



But i still haven't seen it work like that in SB yet but then again i am not often seen in a CV9035NL/DK 
We have seen some but not all optics been destroyed when KT tested it as far as i remember.


MD 😎

Edited by Major duck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

what the ketf round does is making a spiral coming out of the rounds.. as the round spins when opening up.

in regards to the salvos, there is not 5 rounds in a normal salvo.  it all depends on the firing mode. so in point mode you have 2 rounds salvo. going out. if you do a line firing you only have 1 round spread around 25 ts for a wide fan, in regards to swiss testings... think your mistaken since swiss army is running cv9030s and not 35s only 3 countries in the world currently runs 9035s. denmark holland and estonia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DK-DDAM said:

what the ketf round does is making a spiral coming out of the rounds.. as the round spins when opening up.

in regards to the salvos, there is not 5 rounds in a normal salvo.  it all depends on the firing mode. so in point mode you have 2 rounds salvo. going out. if you do a line firing you only have 1 round spread around 25 ts for a wide fan, in regards to swiss testings... think your mistaken since swiss army is running cv9030s and not 35s only 3 countries in the world currently runs 9035s. denmark holland and estonia.

I know it makes a spiral coming out but i was at work so i couldn't find the right file but so does the 30mm it just have a lot less pellets but they weigh the same
it says two 35 mm AHEAD rounds (each with 152 pellets) those that they tested was the Ahead types with the 3,3 g pellets from ahead anti aircraft ammo prolly from an sky guard or super fledermaus gun (Which is heavyer then the dutch ketf ammo but have less about 1/3 of the number of pellets i know only DK/NL and EE have them and possible the Czech Army in the MK IV

image.thumb.png.84061778718737a69007551043343b35.png 

Each of those pellets weighs about the same as 12,7mm round have slightly higher speed and about the same mass i know you have seen the real thing but being hit by something like 2035 pellets that have more or less the same characteristics as an 12,7 mm HMG that is what i describe as a mist. 

7923paulissen.pdf

Edited by Major duck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, Major duck said:

 

35 mm KETF ... the Dutch requirement to have a high probability of knocking out every optic of a T-80U MBT with a single salvo. 
... i still haven't seen it work like that in SB yet

Yes, it's a limitation of the current engine as far as tank components are concerned (yet another reason to work on 5.0).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DK-DDAM said:

what the ketf round does is making a spiral coming out of the rounds.. as the round spins when opening up.

in regards to the salvos, there is not 5 rounds in a normal salvo.  it all depends on the firing mode. so in point mode you have 2 rounds salvo. going out. if you do a line firing you only have 1 round spread around 25 ts for a wide fan, in regards to swiss testings... think your mistaken since swiss army is running cv9030s and not 35s only 3 countries in the world currently runs 9035s. denmark holland and estonia.

Well, we basicly use the same ammo, but only in the MANTIS systems of the air-force

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

 

Well in the briefing you could include a description about how the local population has abandoned the city in view of the impending attack by X. This would reduce the "where is everyone?" issue.

 

Then scatter some abandoned / destroyed civilian vehicles and perhaps to round it off some IEDs set to detonate at H=0 with resulting road cratering, damaged / destroyed buildings and bridges, etc.

 

Alternatively you can use spawn and drain to create "pattern of life" with civilians and their vehicles with say the spawn stopping when the attackers approach / enter so that the fleeing civilians disappear once the fighting begins.

 

Oh for sure! It just can be an awful lot of work to set all that up, but to be fair a lot of sims have issues with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Poofydoodle said:

Oh for sure! It just can be an awful lot of work to set all that up, but to be fair a lot of sims have issues with this.

 

Since my scenario is fairly limited in size, it was pretty easy. The hostages are civilians so they are acknowledged and interacted with, and there are a couple who may flee locations forcing you to be careful. I tried to keep good balances between immersion and clarity, and realism and entertainment. I just had a look and apparently a group played the old version almost 5 years ago. Nice to know:

 

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,4454.15.html

 

The new version is a more forgiving in the points and mission end departments, offering multiple outcomes rather than just a straight "fail" up front. It is more difficult though.

 

*EDIT*

 

Just realized I've been a member for over 6 years and had only made 5 comments until last month. I can't tell if I'm low-maintenance or just a terrible community member.

Edited by SippyCup
Midlife crisis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, SippyCup said:

 

Since my scenario is fairly limited in size, it was pretty easy. The hostages are civilians so they are acknowledged and interacted with, and there are a couple who may flee locations forcing you to be careful. I tried to keep good balances between immersion and clarity, and realism and entertainment. I just had a look and apparently a group played the old version almost 5 years ago. Nice to know:

 

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,4454.15.html

 

The new version is a more forgiving in the points and mission end departments, offering multiple outcomes rather than just a straight "fail" up front. It is more difficult though.

 

*EDIT*

 

Just realized I've been a member for over 6 years and had only made 5 comments until last month. I can't tell if I'm low-maintenance or just a terrible community member.

 

Chees.. I was there on that mission.  It was quite fun one too.  And I think I even recorded it...  I think I have it somewhere...  <.<  not sure if it is worth sharing though.   Anyways...  it was really nice mission.  About last missions I played before my long break. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

 

Chees.. I was there on that mission.  It was quite fun one too.  And I think I even recorded it...  I think I have it somewhere...  <.<  not sure if it is worth sharing though.   Anyways...  it was really nice mission.  About last missions I played before my long break. 

 

Man, that's awesome. If it's not too much of an inconvenience to upload it I'd enjoy seeing it as I've only ever tested it alone. No pressure though, I was happy just to see screenshots.

 

It's been fun working on it again. Started over with the map (used a very early revision as a base point) and completely reworked the events to add more variation. It's also less held together by logic duct-tape now that I understand the system better and have the time to refine it.

 

Screenshots to keep on-topic:

 

445.thumb.jpg.f4bd915e25c7457b03735e2d8a87924e.jpg

 

345.thumb.jpg.209dd418c3cf8a30b38139ae67712c0e.jpg

 

Edited by SippyCup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 10:42 PM, iamfritz said:

I have been playing this for almost a year now... and I have NEVER seen this guy, my TC, head out of the hatch, lookin' around. But his eyes look like mine so he's either me or...

 

1281416727_2021-12-11(4).thumb.png.fac4209b492c6c80d9b8817c81985269.png

 

720723002_2021-12-11(3).thumb.png.9799cd1607d23ed213e1e2ea5714436a.png

Well now I'm seeing it all the time!

Maybe I just wasn't noticing it before...

2022-01-06 (31).png

2022-01-06 (33).png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, iamfritz said:

Well now I'm seeing it all the time!

Maybe I just wasn't noticing it before...

2022-01-06 (31).png

2022-01-06 (33).png

Not sure why... but those are actually quite nice screenshots?  Perhaps because those are less..  made up and hence look more real? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So just for kicks and giggles  I pushed the visibility under options way out to 15000 meters. The results were amazing!

 

At first there were some anomalies, but once all the textures got loaded I had two of the most believable tank battles I've ever had with this sim!

 

The desert battle was my battalion vs a Russian T-90 Brigade. Wow. The immersion seeing out that far just made the action all that more believable. Spotting enemy scouts 9 km out and being able to reposition to counter their flank probe ... I could never do that before.

 

I'm going back and fixing the visibility in all my missions. Except the poor weather ones, of course.

 

Steel Beasts Pro Team you did it again!

 

1961118108_2022-01-10(14).thumb.png.be6064336165ed7d3cf9ccc7a3da6540.png955768260_2022-01-10(17).thumb.png.ba1eabd9991a9101a0d3c7a3855061af.png752453751_2022-01-10(20).thumb.png.36b6b1e8b4c498e410b09bcb5b49461b.png

  

2022-01-10 (18).png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Beyond 14km, some anomalies will occur, and of course the more complicated the terrain and the more units within sight of each other, the heavier the burden on the computer (with a potential loss in framerate).

So, we're not recommending this as a default setting. But, it can work in favorable conditions. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Beyond 14km, some anomalies will occur, and of course the more complicated the terrain and the more units within sight of each other, the heavier the burden on the computer (with a potential loss in framerate).

So, we're not recommending this as a default setting. But, it can work in favorable conditions. :)

You are right sir! Ha-ha! Yes, the forested areas would just render nothing but the floor polygons for a flash once every 10-15 seconds.  And I didn't really test it that much, but the desert battle was untouched at... 15 or 17 km.

I actually got the idea from the manual (I finally got around to RTFM) and I am glad, once again, that I defied the establishment.

 

But seriously, I feel like I'm playing SBProPE ver 2.9 or somethin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...