We love screenshots

stalintc

• Administrators
Thanks for posting this! Err... Is it just me - but I find the new sound effects quite HORRIBLE /ducking under the table for cover/

Especially the T-80, and the M1... - c'mon guys you can do waaay better than that! ;)

Well, you are welcome to try with a mod. Its hard to beat an actual recording of the real thing, though (in the case of the m1).

• Moderators
Thanks for posting this! Err... Is it just me - but I find the new sound effects quite HORRIBLE /ducking under the table for cover/

Especially the T-80, and the M1... - c'mon guys you can do waaay better than that! ;)

I am not sure what to say, or if I should even say anything at all.

The T-80 sounds were taken from a reference video that we have, but I am sure you can come up with something with artificial sweeteners in it if you like. As with everything in the sim, and I can be quoted on this from now until the End of Days, these sounds ARE actual recordings or, in the absence of a high quality recording, they are references of actual recordings. If you think they are being pulled out of a hat somewhere then you are mistaken. This is particularly true for the M1 and Leos, those sounds are as accurate as they can be humanly recorded. The reality is, you can take one step to the side and record the same sound and it will be completely different. You can also record the same sound with a poor quality microphone and it will again be totally different.

Alas, not everyone can use YouTube as a source of "realistic sound"; I say that in jest because the last thing YouTube sounds are is "realistic", given the poor quality of the recordings and the frequency cutoff of the camera microphones. But perception is 99% of reality, or something like that. The reality is, people don't really want reality, they want a "sweetened" version of reality. But what do I know.

A little nugget of wisdom for modders: It is far easier to add a brush stroke to someone else's painting than it is to take a blank canvas and create art. If you keep that in the back of your mind then you might have some humility. ;)

Edited by Volcano
typo

I liked the ever incresing light on the battlefield and also the new M1 model looks nice. A bit more like the ones in CMSF - some stuff hanging in here and there... more like a machine of war, not something clean as seen in museums.

having 1024x1024 textures helps a lot.

Well, my recording software is definately second or third rate. There is no way that I can record and post to youtube anything that does the image or sound presentation justice. The video I posted was a result of my interest in the Holst piece. I thought that it would go really well with some SB gameplay video without the video being too stilted or corny. Causing grief about the build wasn't my intention. Using that build was incidental, and posting it was probably irresponsible on my part.

Nevertheless, in answer to Raino's question, I think that new sounds are a definate improvement, especially the artillery which has actually caused me to jump even after playing this game for about a decade. And I think that the new M1 model is as close to photorealistic as anything I've seen in a videogame.

I'm not sure how you could even hear the sound quality anyway. Mars overlayed ontop doesn't allow any detailed analysis of the sound quality.

I reckon the new sounds are pretty good, although I needed to make some hardware adjustments to get the best from them. (My very old SBLive! needed alternative drivers).

A little nugget of wisdom for modders: It is far easier to add a brush stroke to someone else's painting than it is to take a blank canvas and create art. If you keep that in the back of your mind then you might have some humility. ;)

What I wrote was certainly not meant as offence or anything. Just stating my perception that judgeing by this video the sfx-s for these two are weak. It might be due to youtube quality or to the backround music.

Regarding humilty - I've never said I'm a great sound modder or anything, I've made a few things, and put it up here - some people like others don't, but thats fine.

Also I'm not saying that these aren't real records, they are probably as accurate as possible, BUT since its a computer simulation I think it should be pumped up quite a bit in order to give back the 'feeling' of raw power and mass when these beasts are moving around. Thats just my 2 cents.

Lastly I repeat myself it wasn't meant as an offence just a suggestion to improve something. Bad critiques can sometimes be useful, you shouldn't feel yourself offended right away. I see that good critiques are always welcome here, it should be the same for 'bad' ones as well.

But hell I'm not gonna say anything, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Lastly I repeat myself it wasn't meant as an offence just a suggestion to improve something. Bad critiques can sometimes be useful, you shouldn't feel yourself offended right away. I see that good critiques are always welcome here, it should be the same for 'bad' ones as well.

thats not really the problem. "bad" critique is very welcome. however, all you said is "the new sounds are horrible", and that doesn't help much towards anything else than hurt feelings. stating why you don't like the sounds will help a lot more.

Well, my recording software is definately second or third rate. There is no way that I can record and post to youtube anything that does the image or sound presentation justice. The video I posted was a result of my interest in the Holst piece. I thought that it would go really well with some SB gameplay video without the video being too stilted or corny. Causing grief about the build wasn't my intention. Using that build was incidental, and posting it was probably irresponsible on my part.

Nevertheless, in answer to Raino's question, I think that new sounds are a definate improvement, especially the artillery which has actually caused me to jump even after playing this game for about a decade. And I think that the new M1 model is as close to photorealistic as anything I've seen in a videogame.

Fraps

• Moderators
What I wrote was certainly not meant as offence or anything. Just stating my perception that judgeing by this video the sfx-s for these two are weak. It might be due to youtube quality or to the backround music.

OK, I see. Well, if I had to guess, the music was mixed quite loudly because that is what GO wanted; the song was taking front stage to the rest of the audio which is perfectly fine. Otherwise, you would have the game turned up much louder than it is in the video. Although it might have sounded that way, I did not intend anything harsh with the previous post really, other than the fact that I could not understand why the condemnation was leveled so quickly from a You Tube video.

Oh well, no harm done. I know that there is a possibility that not everyone will like the new changes that I have made, but I am the one that has to make the difficult decisions on what to change for a long term objective with the bigger picture of the overall quality of the listening experience in mind. Anyway, just be sure to remember that you will have to turn up the sound louder than it was before (Team Speak will have to be turned down to compensate) and that you will have to cut the volume in existing sound mods by 50%. When all that is done, there shouldn't be any complaint that it is too weak, unless the modded sounds are drowning the other sounds out because their volume is too high -- which would not be my problem. ;)

Back to the video (like the sounds & M1 btw):

* Does in/decreasing light on the battlefield change the ability for units without TIS to look further/less further or NOT ?

* And what about units with TIS ?

(And would be great to turn on headlights of a car/tank etc ...)

THX,

Koen

having 1024x1024 textures helps a lot.

Yes, but the model underneath still "feels" meaner and more like a warmachine... Must be the ammoboxes, spare roadwheels etc. and of course the bended antennas. It all just feels right. Now some backbags on the turret sides and M4's dangling here and there... And more importantly a new Leo 2A4 model ;)

Yes, but the model underneath still "feels" meaner and more like a warmachine... Must be the ammoboxes, spare roadwheels etc. and of course the bended antennas. It all just feels right. Now some backbags on the turret sides and M4's dangling here and there... And more importantly a new Leo 2A4 model ;)

you mean this one?

darears.jpg

:)

Deja that Leo is absolutely gorgeous, the M1 looks great, but the Leo, wow :biggrin:

As to the sounds on the video, sounds good to me, can't wait to get them in the sim. the way I see it, this is a sim, and if that's what they sound like in real life, that's how they should sound in the sim.

That's not having a pop at any one ther have been some great sound mods so far, it's just the way I want it to be on my PC, it's all personal preference :)

Recent Armored Recon Mission gone bad. (Thanks for the mission Zipuli.)

45 minutes of driving around and spotting,

2-15.jpg

Nice use of Camo,

1-14.jpg

Then WHAM, a miricle shot from the AI T-80. We should have been well hiddin from him but noooo. One shot destroyed 50% of the Recon Assets.

It is nice to know the AI can get lucky to.

AI Shot. 1000 meters through sparse woods. 1 stationary target, and "Ash" the KE magnet moving at march speed. Hats off to the AI for this one.

3-11.jpg

• Members
* Does in/decreasing light on the battlefield change the ability for units without TIS to look further/less further or NOT ?

Yes, but there remains work to be done. For example, once that you fire, they will spot your muzzle blast (which is realistic), and then they'll know your exact position (which is probably not). So, for low visibility ambush situations the current solution is good, for protracted battles it is not.

* And what about units with TIS ?

Obviously they can see better, but still they are limited to the very narrow cone of the thermal imager's field of view.

(And would be great to turn on headlights of a car/tank etc ...)

As Steel Beasts Pro is a combat simulation there is no real need to model this since in combat you'd rarely switch on your lights, if ever.