We love screenshots

stalintc

Well, i think it all comes down to the kill count. Some people will say they do not know how to use the T-62 or T-72, but when it all comes down to it, they just want to have a double digit kill count at the end of the scenario (as if it is relevant against those threats...).

But there is nothing like that feeling that you get from killing an M1 with a T-62 :)

The omission of "unknown" (=missing data) like a 3D interior of the Challenger is however something entirely different from filling in the blank spots with fantasy and speculation. That is something that we usually try to avoid.

Understood. I'm all in favour of avoiding fantasy and speculation except in certain very specific situations that are nothing to do with SB or even computer gaming. :) If it's a choice between nothing and an approximation, I think the majority would opt for the approximation and be grateful for it. Unfortunately, those who then start moaning that a certain feature of a certain model doesn't chime with their perception of it generally have the loudest voices.

Also, would I be right in thinking that as a defense contractor, eSim simply can't use 'data' that has escaped into the public domain when it is still (rightly or wrongly) classified by the government in question?

I probably would not even bother with scenarios like that.

I read a lot of the AAR reviews posted, and the scenarios that I see pretty much ignore a much broader range of possibilities, for example, players with T-62s and T-55s versus M60 or Leopard I tanks, or even scenarios where one force of T-62s aren't facing enemy tanks at all. Whenever I watch them, the outcome seem predictable, one side beats up on another with the best tanks. Maybe this is partly due to the fact that there are more playable modern vehicles simulated, or maybe because players want to be assured to get that kill as the big payoff.

Most of the scenarios I set up for myself these days use the older equipment, and it tends to play out much differently when kills tend to take place under 2 km. Because the tanks of older generations are much more vulnerable even to simple HEAT warheads and infantry, it's a different ballgame insofar as staying alive is concerned and the skill required.

Maybe one day we will have the means to hunt T-62s with M60s.

I withdraw my original remark. In the right terrain, hunting a SEP with a T62 could be a lot of fun. And as Tank Hunter has pointed out, immensely satifying if you are successful. Probably beyond the skill set of the majority tho.

I agree that missions that pit the latest US armour against obsolete European and WP kit are pointless - and a high kill ratio counts for nothing. DoW uses the SEP quite a lot as the majority of our members are American. But most often against the T80 and T90, and the latest versions of the Leopard.

I think a lot of the scenarios I see are rather piecemeal in their employment of the vehicles. Like BMP-3 platoon attacks, then is wiped out. Then BLUE encounters dug in T-90 platoon, that is wiped out. Then BLUE marches to waypoint, finds an infantry squad, then wiped out. Result: Total BLUE victory, game over. They almost seem to be set up so that contact happens in a distinct linear progression in order to submit a victorious AAR that way. With little variation, that is what many of them look like. To be fair, I don't have the time to watch the hour long videos, so those may reveal something different.

Using default APFSDS ammunition, the M60 is very difficult to beat with a T-62 at any range- HEAT ammunition is about your only chance. An M60 often gets to fire first, it gets to fire more often between reload cycles. Sneaking up on one still gets you killed more often than not. It's a very good challenge without relying on 'luck,' there is still more skill involved in ranging and hitting with HEAT.

Interestingly, there were cases in OIF of Type 69 tanks giving headaches to US Army and Marine units when they got behind US lines, however, you generally don't expect them to really get that near an armored unit in the first place. They were usually detected first or shortly after they made any kinds of threatening moves- the kinds of armies which deploy T-62 tanks as a frontline MBT probably have severe gaps in their awareness of the overall picture, since that would probably be a reflection of its overall capabilities in terms of their ability to gather and use information as well. Consequently, they were often picked up and destroyed from the air before they even got within range of Coalition tanks.