Pahkajärvi Map

Zipuli

Hello!

Welcome to Finland, and more precisely Pahkajärvi live-fire area, just north of Karelian Brigade, the home of Finnish CV9030 equipped mechanized infantry! Here live fire exercises are carried out using all the Finnish Army weapons from infantry weapons to CV90s and Leopards to heavy artillery and MLRS! Just west of the area is Repovesi national park, with stunningly beautiful nature with hundreds of lakes and... well, a lot of trees.

01_map.bmp

On this map you see the most important firing "ranges": Roso, Loiri, Isku and Pahka, as well as the accomodation area "Leirialue". If you're used to the open Schiessbahn -type firing terrain, you're in for a surprise!

02_Pahkajarvi.bmp

Entering the area from Karelian Brigade. To the left is the vehicle park and to the right the accomodation area.

03_Pahka.bmp

The Pahka firing range is also used for all-terrain driving practice! There are steep knolls and hills that are also great for some motocross action!

04_tval.bmp

Here the ammunition is stored for the exercises. In the right of the flick is lake "Vääräjärvi" where the APCs do their swimming. In the distance is Pahka.

05_roso_1.bmp

North of Pahka is the Rosoharju area and firing range Roso. Here the mechanized infantry usually carries out platoon attack exercises supported by engineers and artillery.

06_roso_2.bmp

View from the end of the Roso attack route. The area is cleared mostly of woods to allow firing with all infantry and armour weapons and training FO teams to call in artillery and mortar strikes - the reason why the hill on the opposite end of the open is so bald. Here Ssnake recorded the CV9030 weapon sounds! ;)

07_vaunupiha.bmp

At the accomodation area is the tank park. From here the vehicles move out to the firing ranges to shoot stuff. This road leads to Loiri where, as the story stands, young men are turned into fighter.

08_roadtoloiri.bmp

On the way to Loiri is a picturesque lake with a double bridge over it. At the closer bridge is also a location for bridge layer to train bridge laying. Boring.

09_loiri.bmp

Loirinkangas from the south. Here the mech inf guys get swetty and muddy. The tankers don't. I dunno why, ask Eisenschwein! When I did my conscript service this place was all forest. Then the tanks came! And shot and collided all the trees down. Well, many of them anyways....

10_isku.bmp

This is Isku-ura -road. It leads to nowhere, that's why recce trains here. They like hopping from wooded cliff to another wooded cliff and shoot in every direction. During winter skis are used, and going full speed downhill with RK going full auto is something every man should try! James Bond did it too...

11_roadtomikkeli.bmp

East of the firing area runs the road to Mikkeli, the highway 15... There are more lakes and trees there.

12_kaavankyla.bmp

Along with some fields too. This is the village of Käävänkylä. The village people are used to noise, I guess. Haha, get it?

Anyways, hope you will visit me soon at Loiri. I spend a lot of time there. B.Y.O.B.

...and tank. You definately will need a tank.

This is Isku-ura -road. It leads to nowhere, that's why recce trains here. They like hopping from wooded cliff to another wooded cliff and shoot in every direction. During winter skis are used, and going full speed downhill with RK going full auto is something every man should try! James Bond did it too...

F**kin' LOL man :biggrin:

Fantastic work, well done and very detailed!

THX for that!

Is this all conifer forest, if not I´ve got a nice new Tree for you ;-)

Yes it's conifer. All the way!

The height file is based on DTED3 height data. I can't take credit for the whole level of detail, a private in my unit crafted most of the map using map, aerial photos, satellite images and his own photos. :) And so it's as close to reality as SB allows! Soon we'll play a mission on this map!

Yes it's conifer. All the way!

The height file is based on DTED3 height data. I can't take credit for the whole level of detail, a private in my unit crafted most of the map using map, aerial photos, satellite images and his own photos. :) And so it's as close to reality as SB allows! Soon we'll play a mission on this map!

Looks great! So you can take credit for delegating the work to the right man :-)

Yeah, getting good height data for a realy cool map is not so easy.

The standart (google maps f.e.) gives you a 90m terrain detail.

The better ones (30m, 5m, 1m and even down to 0,25m) are expensive, classified or both

:-(

Yeah. Good thing our toppgraphy dudes decided to share all height data for free as they use tax payers' money! The whole country has ready 10m detail data available and now they are working on 1m detail using some sort of laser thingy. Though that data won't benefit us the SB players (yet?) as SB detail is 12,5m...

Pahka_winter.bmp

Pahkajärvi in the winter. There is lots of snow, but the exercises keep the tracks open. The area in question is Pahka, and lake Vääräjärvi can be seen in the background. In this theme the lakes are frozen and trafficable even for heavy vehicles, thanks to the thick ice.

• 4 weeks later...