Salute from an old Arctic Brigader, err?

Tord Hoppe

Well, just to say hi in the form of an introduction of myself. I just got the trial info out of the spam mailbox, sigh. I´ll most likely get the cash out, 100$ for a quality sim isn´t really all that much.

Back to myself. I´m 43 yrs. Have a wife and two young boys. I currently live just north of Stockholm, Sweden, and work in telecom since -99. I have a keen interest in various sims and struggle to balance that with raising kids, spending some time with the mrs :smilelove-1: and sleep.

Prior to my civilian career I served in the Swedish defence forces up in Boden. I started out with the usual basic infantry conscript training and ended up in C3. I then continued in the service mostly in that role. I´ve also thrown around one or two 120mm mortar rounds, great fun. :D I did a UN/IFOR tour in Bosnia in 95/96. I´ve never been active in the armored role though we had CV9040s and STRV122 in the brigade when I left the service. Also, the swedish international effort in those days were not of the kind that we see today so I do not have any training in for instance NATO signalling procedures. On the other hand it´s been 13 yrs since I did any signalling at all, so...

On to this sim. I´m just getting started with checking out the documentation and forums, but I think I´ll be concentrating on one vehicle, STRV122 or CV90. Any recommendations there?

Also, after doing some SP scenarios, what´s the recommended route to get into multiplayer?

Cheers, hoping to see you soon (in my sights :ANI_army: )

Welcome!

Glad you recoveredc either Sean's or my email to you. :)

Certainly I'd "master" one vehicle and then adapt to others.

The specific choice is up to you of course.

There's an ongoing multi player activity called TGIF (at least its Friday in the US when its run).

In terms of ones with "European friendly" timeslots, there are two coming up:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=16995

on 24th of November

and

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=17027

on 1st of December

Well, just to say hi in the form of an introduction of myself. I just got the trial info out of the spam mailbox, sigh. I´ll most likely get the cash out, 100$ for a quality sim isn´t really all that much.

Back to myself. I´m 43 yrs. Have a wife and two young boys. I currently live just north of Stockholm, Sweden, and work in telecom since -99. I have a keen interest in various sims and struggle to balance that with raising kids, spending some time with the mrs :smilelove-1: and sleep.

Prior to my civilian career I served in the Swedish defence forces up in Boden. I started out with the usual basic infantry conscript training and ended up in C3. I then continued in the service mostly in that role. I´ve also thrown around one or two 120mm mortar rounds, great fun. :D I did a UN/IFOR tour in Bosnia in 95/96. I´ve never been active in the armored role though we had CV9040s and STRV122 in the brigade when I left the service. Also, the swedish international effort in those days were not of the kind that we see today so I do not have any training in for instance NATO signalling procedures. On the other hand it´s been 13 yrs since I did any signalling at all, so...

On to this sim. I´m just getting started with checking out the documentation and forums, but I think I´ll be concentrating on one vehicle, STRV122 or CV90. Any recommendations there?

Also, after doing some SP scenarios, what´s the recommended route to get into multiplayer?

Cheers, hoping to see you soon (in my sights :ANI_army: )

Dear Tord

UK Armour (the name should perhaps be International Armour, as we have Australians, Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Dutch and Irish members) has regular sessions at 20:00GMT on Sundays and Wednesdays. The 'affiliated' Soviet VU - run by Marko - plays at the same time on Monday evenings.

You are very welcome to drop in and meet us on the SB Teamspeak server at those times. Hope to see you there.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Tjay, do you post server login info somewhere, or would I get that via TS? I haven´t gotten to the MP part yet, do you usually run on a dedicated server? It would be neat to hook up to a MP session before an organized event, just to verify that everything works and get a feel for the environment before getting lit up by some nasties.

No worries - I'll stand down. :)

The usual stumbling block is port forwading and once that's sorted is usually straight forward.

The basics are:

1. Set you machine up with a "static" (unchanging) IP address.

2. Configure your Router to forward the traffic to that IP address.

More details here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=7739

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Tjay, do you post server login info somewhere, or would I get that via TS? I haven´t gotten to the MP part yet, do you usually run on a dedicated server? It would be neat to hook up to a MP session before an organized event, just to verify that everything works and get a feel for the environment before getting lit up by some nasties.

MG has kindly posted the TS server info, (thanks Mark) so just drop in on us at 20:00 any Wednesday, Sunday or Monday evening. (Mondays are strictly speaking Soviet VU night but I'm sure Marko would be pleased to see you). As for the game server IP, this varies depending on who is hosting that night and is put out during the TS 'prebrief' discussion.

Look forward to meeting you. :)