Interesting article about wargaming

PincerDK

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/16/interview-james-sterrett-professional-wargamer/#more-132106

Interesting article about the US CGSC and Wargaming. Also mentions SBPE.

Yay, We are famous :)

I know, I worked there at CGSC for four years before moving to MCTP, James and myself both got hired there because we played TacOps and knew some players that worked at DLDC, now I work at MCTP instead of war games we train and test with the real stuff using WarSim.

Guest theGUNSLINGER

im downloading a demo of Combat mission Afghan never heard of it before this article, sounds interesting

Edited by theGUNSLINGER

Y'all may want to read some reviews of CM before buying it.

There's lots of 'em around - read em - because they are spot on.

CM has issues - has since it's inception. Atrocious path finding, dumber than dirt AI - and wierdnesses in the damage and hit model/routines.

I've got both CM1 and CM2. Both have the above issues and it seems nothing has changed since CM:Shock Force. Most reviewers and forum commenters believe the problems are even worse and from what I can tell even the latest 1.32 patch hasn't fixed the problems.

If you can suspend your disbelief the CM games are good for a quick stress reliever beer and pretzels 3D pretty good graphics game.

If you're looking for a serious simulation IMO looking elsewhere wouldn't be a bad choice.

That said: CM is on sale this weekend.

Well at the risk of hijacking. ...

CM Afghan is now some 2 yrs old.

It was a joint venture between Battlefront and some Russian outfit.

The full game was subsequently patched to 1.01 and 1.02 but I think the demo remains at 1.0.

I don't believe there are any plans to further update it as they have moved on to another iteration of the underlying game engine.

Edited by Gibsonm

Well these are the 1.02 "fixes":

NEW v1.02 GAME FEATURES

o All BMP, BMD, and BTR series vehicles have infantry firing ports (previously only the BMP-1D did).

o Team weapons that are not deployed, and cannot be fired in that state, show a "Not Deployed" message over the weapon silhouette in the user interface.

o Sounds for armor penetrations and ricochets by large projectiles are louder.

o Weapons fired at pickup trucks (aka "technicals") aim better.

o Building collapse sounds are quieter at a distance.

o RPG-16 has increased muzzle velocity and max range (500m).

o Updated RPG-16 rocket model.

o 82mm 2B9 Vasilyek mortar's rate of fire is lowered.

o "Black" Soviet small arms changed to older wooden style.

o Fixed a "seeing through walls" bug that occurred in large buildings that had internal doors to smaller, attached buildings.

o Corrected an intermittent problem in networked quick battles that caused both sides to set up in the same area.

o Corrected an internet-play bug that could cause the guest player's units not to respond to orders.

o Corrected a problem that caused some artillery and air support sounds to play at the wrong time in turn-based mode.

o Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the owners of non-deployed man-portable AT-7 ATGMs to stand up prematurely, yet disallow them from firing "from the shoulder".

o Muzzle flash from BMD-2 coaxial MG is placed correctly.

o Corrected silhouette of MiG-23 air support.

o Corrected a hatch problem on the Shilka AAA vehicle.

o Corrected stray polygons on soldier models

o Separated older 7.62mm and newer 5.45mm to be more uniform within a single unit

o Updated the TO&E for Soviet Airborne Recon Company

o Various TO&E improvements as suggested by players, in particular BMPs and BTRs being available for Airborne forces.

• Members

Even if it is the same engine underneath, they certainly improved the visuals with shadowmapping and other nice features.

My biggest gripe always was that they sacrificed the turn based mode for real-time while at the same time scaling back the tactical level from battalion task force to company team level... and the fact that the map sizes were unsuitably small for the range of modern weapon systems unless you use it for urban combat. There however I miss some of the complexity that I'd like to see in a wargame made for the contemporary operational environment.

I was a big fan of the original Combat Mission and it seems like I just had different ideas about its strong points than the guys from Battlefront.

I was a big fan of the original Combat Mission and it seems like I just had different ideas about its strong points than the guys from Battlefront.

Strong points - It plays well for the Squad and Fireteam levels. Anything above that..even platoon level operations are cumbersome.

Whomever can make a decent combined arms Platoon and Company level game will be the real winner.

I think Wargame: European Escalation comes very close, but their SP AI fails miserably.

The thing that I enjoyed were the asymmetrical battles. AFV vs AFV is better done with SB. But infantry focused fights were always entertaining in it. Have a couple of Syrian companies attack into an urban area kind of stuff was where is was most interesting and not particularly easy. Especially if you add in the "don't destroy this" objectives.