Today's Newsletter

Gibsonm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does a new rendering engine mean a complete overhaul of all graphics including the 3D models?

My guess is that we will see a new look to the terrain and particles etc but a lot of familiar 3D objects & textures. That's usually the way with most projects - new vehicles can always come later.

• Members

It may be a matter of perception, but you "little non-mil contractors" actually get a lot of love if you compare the amount of development time devoted to PE related work in relation to the profit that PE sales generate ... it's about as much as we can get away with, given that the "big mil" contractors are fully aware of how much money they pay us and how much of our time they get in return.

For example, none of our army customers requested a new 3D render engine - I'm sure that in the end they will learn to appreciate it, but they won't pay for it. What's more, given the choice to have us work on "more of the same" type of development jobs, they would probably reject to have us work on a new render engine. Same thing with user interface work and refinement. It's nearly impossible to convince the budget managers that work on refining the user interface is actually a good investment when it helps to streamline the workflow and improve the productivity of the armies' mission designers. So it's something that we do for the PE community.

I'm not saying that you should be thankful for what you get. I'm just trying to point out that there are aspects of our work that aren't easily recognizable yet they are necessary, and they get done primarily for you, even though that means that certain pet peeves of the community get addressed only later (e.g. that playable T-72). You see all the campaigning in the forum but not so much the everyday project management decisions, let alone WHY certain decisions are being made. That must result in a cognitive dissonance for both you and us, the team, because we have different perspectives on the same thing, and because of that some things remain obscured.

It may be a matter of perception, but you "little non-mil contractors" actually get a lot of love if you compare the amount of development time devoted to PE related work in relation to the profit that PE sales generate ... it's about as much as we can get away with, given that the "big mil" contractors are fully aware of how much money they pay us and how much of our time they get in return.

I'm sure most PE players appreciate this.

For example, none of our army customers requested a new 3D render engine - I'm sure that in the end they will learn to appreciate it, but

I'm not saying that you should be thankful for what you get.

Personally, I'm always worried that some ambitious accountant will convince eSim that the work it puts into PE would result much greater returns if invested elsewhere, and persuade 'the management' to drop it. But I really, really hope that doesn't happen. Please keep up the good work. Our appreciation may not show on the bottom line, but hopefully it gives you a nice warm feeling inside. :)

And what should I have done to get that second quote to appear in a grey box please?

To get the "quote" you need to start with:

["QUOTE=DarkLabor;222357"]

and end with:

["/QUOTE"]

If you don't want to attribute the quote then:

["QUOTE"]

and end with:

["/QUOTE"]

NOTE: " added to display the code. You need to remove them in order to produce:

If you don't want to attribute the quote then:

Thanks Mark. :smile2:

• Members

I really can't say why or why not a certain person is on the mailing list or not. Since subscribing and unsubscribing is easy, I won't bother to look it up either. I don't think I have fully mastered that mailer program. I'm happy that I can embed images and links and format it in HTML, and that by and large I get the thing to do what I want. But whether that program just has an enigmatic user interface or if it is plain buggy or I'm just too stupid and not using it often enough, I don't know.