Question concerning RAM for the Techies.

Ludwigmeister

Sorry if I sound lame in this message with the way I word things, but I am really not a computer guy when it comes to hardware and setup. My question is RAM related. I see some RAM online for pretty cheap and I was thinking of getting a few Gigs to add to my system I just bought.

I have an MSI P35 Platinum Motherboard with 2 available 120-pin DDR2 DIMM slots. Right now the other two slots (one from each channel) alreay have 1-1GB OCZ RAM in each. (Giving me two gigs RAM).

My first question is, if I was to get more RAM, does it matter if the RAM is a different producer SO LONG as its DDR2? Like can I get non OCZ to go with my 2 gigs of OCZ, or do I have to get OCZ? I'm pretty sure I have;

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel. Do all these numbers have to match with any other RAM I would install? Like I have no idea with CL5-5-5-12 means, for example. Is that important? The memory I am looking at is;

OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-15 DDR2 240PIN Dual Channel. So CL5-4-4-15 instead of 5-5-12? A problem there?

My second question is does the amount matter? The two RAM modules I have right now are each 1 Gig OCZ. Can I fill the reamining 2 DIMM slots with 2 Gig modules, giving me a total of 6 gigs? (2 x 1 gig ocz + 2 x 2 gig ocz).

Does that work? When installign the RAM is there anythign that has to be done within the system , or is the hardware picked up on automatically and used automatically? (Ive never put a computer together or put anything into a computer.)

AND my last question (I promise), with a Dual Core2 @ 2.67 GHz, does adding tha tmuch RAM really matter? Is RAM limited by the Processor, or is "more the better" in effect? Keep in mind I can Overclock to 3.33 GHz if I need to. (Switchin around the JB1 and JB2 connections... just readin about that.)

I know that was lengthy, thank you for any help.

i have been reading up on memory because i am thinking about building a new computer. i currently use windows XP with 2 Gbs of memory and i believe that is just the right amount for my current computer.

a 64-bit OS can use more memory but unless the software or game are coded for it they don't benefit from the OS or the fact that it has more memory.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2163&page=1

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2477673&Board=8&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

of course it is your decision. i am just saying that i don't think you need more memory because it won't increase your computer's performance.

what videocard are you using? that might be a better investment for increased performance, depending on what card you have now.

Thanks a lot for the reply. It inspired some research on my part and I have found exactly what you are saying, and I am going to check out the links you provided as well. It seems everywhere, Microsoft.com included seem to agree that Vista Home Premium is ok for 4GBs even though you may only get 3 - 3.5 out of it. I don't think I'll be doing any harm. For 40 bucks (after mail in rebait) Im willing to run the risk of "excess" memory.

Thanks again.

The RAM ceiling is there because of the maximum number of addresses that a 32-bit system can physically access (2^32 = 4 gigs).

The RAM that it is installed in your computer might not be the limits of your motherboard's capabilities... this is mostly dependent on the technical skills of the person who put your computer together. You need to consult your motherboard manual to see what type/speed/size of RAM it is capable of supporting. You are doing the right thing by researching first.

Greetings,

The only concern when adding additional RAM is to keep the same "speed" of RAM sticks. By putting a slower set of "sticks" in, it will set the upper limit of all the RAM at the lowest sticks speed to "keep them all running at the same speed"

Your Ram is

Main Memory Supports 4 unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 SDRAM Supports up to 8GB memory size Support Dual Channel DDR2 667/800/1066MHz and up (Intel P35 chipset supports up to DDR2-800 officially. For DDR2 800+, manually BIOS adjustment is needed)

Your running 800Mhz sticks now so keep that speed RAM.

Here's their home page with your Motherboard specs and drivers.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1212

Notes:

- In Dual-Channel mode, make sure that you install memory modules of the same type and density in different channel DIMM slots.

- To enable successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into the DIMM1 first.

Single-Channel: All DIMMs in GREEN

Dual-Channel: Channel A in GREEN; Channel B in ORANGE

Dual-Channel mode Population Rule;

In Dual-Channel mode, the memory modules can transmit and receive data with two

data bus lines simultaneously. Enabling Dual-Channel mode can enhance the system

performance. Please refer to the following illustrations for population rules under Dual-Channel mode. (See attachment)

See the attachment for where to install the various RAM sticks.

All for now ..... 9erRed

56e83c676feee_RAMpositions.jpg.7a44a526d

56e83c676feee_RAMpositions.jpg.7a44a526d