What's the shell impact noise on armor ?

SelvaBR

Well with the help of the Binford 6000 Thread De-hijacker (as used by Tim, the Toolman, Taylor) let's try:

The internal sounds created by a non penetrating hit are currently fairly generic.

This may or may not be worked on for future versions.

I suspect if it is worked on there will be supplementary requests to reflect:

- The concussive effects of such an impact of the player.

- The graphic representation of such a hit (poorly stowed gear flying around the turret, sparks, systems failing [currently modelled, hence the listing in red that usually follows a hit, but not depicted in the 3D world], etc.).

- Crewman screaming / uttering expletives.

- The aroma of involuntary bowel movements.

- The use of smoke shipped in from the Vatican ...

:)

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
When I get hit by a main round ..., do I think, 'Holy Shhh Batman, ..., or do I think, 'Hmm, I'm not so sure that sound effect is truly realistic...'?

Many effects in computer games or movies are designed to work on the subconscious, especially music and sound. They simply help with immersion. So, even if you do not actively think about these things, they still have an effect on you. To that extent it never hurts to try and improve things. If we could make it more realistic, there'd be no harm in it, and it might even help as far as training effect is concerned.

I mean, we took the effort to add the correct TOW missile fly-by sound where a simple "woosh" sound was an already acceptable solution in past versions of SB Pro. The benefit for training is that once that you know how it sounds, you can identify it should it happen in real life as well, and it might distract you less in that instance (or it might draw more attention, depending on the situation).

"pope smoke"?

Does that achieve the dual purpose of praying AND obscuring you to the enemy? :)

Must be rare if its only created when they are voting for a new Pope.

But at least it comes in two colours (white and black).

ROLFMAO

Genial :drink:

The benefit for training is that once that you know how it sounds, you can identify it should it happen in real life as well...

Hoping for that not to happen personally. ;) But if the sound in Pro and Pro PE are the same, the correct sound is obviously preferable.

Many effects in computer games or movies are designed to work on the subconscious, especially music and sound. They simply help with immersion. So, even if you do not actively think about these things, they still have an effect on you. To that extent it never hurts to try and improve things. If we could make it more realistic, there'd be no harm in it, and it might even help as far as training effect is concerned.

I mean, we took the effort to add the correct TOW missile fly-by sound where a simple "woosh" sound was an already acceptable solution in past versions of SB Pro. The benefit for training is that once that you know how it sounds, you can identify it should it happen in real life as well, and it might distract you less in that instance (or it might draw more attention, depending on the situation).

Exactly, i made a sound mod changing the impact sound because i didn't known when i was being hit. Anyway, that doesn't mean i want an arcadish noise.

Having been with the sim since the original SB, the sounds have definitely evolved over the years. I recall at one point the impact of a sabot round was something like a dish smashing or a window cracking. I assume this was meant to simulate the sound of the ceramic cracking in composite armor. This was done away with in subsequent upgrades. Also, I remember from the original SB that if you were at the gunner's station, upon receiving a hit you were momentarily prevented from viewing through the GPS, which I assume was meant to simulate having your bell rung through the shock wave. :drink:. What always interested me though is how the woosh of a near miss was recorded. To me that sounds pretty realistic and not an approximation.

penetration sound? well, once the tank is penetrated, spall usually goes flying everywhere. i remember seeing a video of a 30mm round penetrating a T-55, and it recorded the sound.

it sounded like a bunch of tiny metal balls bouncing rapidly around inside a bucket.

but the amount of spall varies with the thickness of the armour. so the thin side hull armour wouldn't cause as much spalling as the thick front turret armour of a cast turret, and the spall chunks wouldn't be as large.

as for composite and steel armor.. the majority of a modern tank is still primarily steel.

composites are only put into cavities in the steel shell on the front and sides on most tanks, although some tanks like the merkava have composites in the rear as well.

penetration sound? well, once the tank is penetrated, spall usually goes flying everywhere. i remember seeing a video of a 30mm round penetrating a T-55, and it recorded the sound.

it sounded like a bunch of tiny metal balls bouncing rapidly around inside a bucket.

but the amount of spall varies with the thickness of the armour. so the thin side hull armour wouldn't cause as much spalling as the thick front turret armour of a cast turret, and the spall chunks wouldn't be as large.

as for composite and steel armor.. the majority of a modern tank is still primarily steel.

composites are only put into cavities in the steel shell on the front and sides on most tanks, although some tanks like the merkava have composites in the rear as well.

So it would still, theorically, sound more metalic?.

Well it might help if you confirm what exactly you want.

Firstly we had "impact" (as per the topic).

Then it was non penetrating impact (but heard from the inside):

It doesn't need to be piercing sound, it could be just the "Ding" hit, i mean, when the projectile hit the armor but do not penetrate it.

Now it seems you want the sound of a pentrating impact. :)

• Moderators
What always interested me though is how the woosh of a near miss was recorded. To me that sounds pretty realistic and not an approximation.

There is a story behind that.

*cranking up the Thread Jacker 2000.....*

On the gunner range, I had the misfortune of being outside of the hatch when a tank behind mine fired a sabot round that flew across our right front fender, probably 50 meters away or less (it happened in Bergen when our platoon was attempting to do a "German Tank Table XII" where the platoon reverses together on line and engages targets) --and no, no one was hit by the sabot petals thank goodness. The wing tank was further back behind us because we drove backwards off into a ditch (US Army doesn't have rear view mirrors on its tanks and does not fight in reverse so we had... technical difficulties executing our company commander's desires). It was disastrous and someone nearly died in the ordeal. Needless to say there was a ceasefire on the range after that and we didn't attempt it again which is good, because I was white as a ghost after seeing and hearing the round pass by so closely.

Anyways... the sound of the sabot round flying over stuck in my brain and I will never forget it. Sounds were recorded and edited until they sounded exactly as I remembered it, yes.

////////////////

As for the sounds themselves, what can I say, there are 423 sound effects in Steel Beasts (and counting), so naturally there are areas that need improvement. No one knows this more than me, but time is always the issue because usually effort has to be devoted to one specific aspect given the quantity. I do what I can to add more and enhance them over time though, and the impact sounds are on my own personal list of things to improve (they've been there for a while now though). You never know what you are going to get in this regard in each SB update, but you can probably always bet on something changing (for better or for worse). ;)

The IntHit audio file would be what you hear, inside the vehicle, from an exterior bounce, right?.

It doesn't matter the penetration noise since you would be screaming or not paying attention to it.

So yes, i want to known the bounce, ding, " It didn't go trough ", noise from the crew perspective INSIDE the vehicle. Anyway, SB has only one sound for hitting shells, so you would hear, from 3rd person perspective (F8), the same sound as the crew would hear inside.

• Moderators

Eh, I have no idea which sound you are describing. But really, just look in the FX list. Anything with the key words "round", "hit", "splash" and possibly "explode" are what you are looking for. Actually I *think* you are referring to "explode1" here, however, and possibly ironically, out of all the sound in that group "explode1" is the most authentic having been recorded on a gunnery range of KE hitting a hard target (an actual tank target).

But really, if you want to mod something, you just have to experiment with trial and error. I recall my modding days where I would make a sound of a bell and I would put it into other games with different names until I heard it play for the cue that I was looking for, which helped me locate what I wanted to mod. Maybe that technique will work for you too. ;)

• Moderators
Thanks for the story about the near miss Volcano. I'm sure you'll never forget that sound. BTW I'm not complaining about the work you've done on the sounds over the years. You've done a fantastic job. Thanks.

Ah yes, sorry. The second paragraph was just additional comments to the thread and was not directed towards you. I suppose I should of made a new post for that. :o

The IntHit audio file would be what you hear, inside the vehicle, from an exterior bounce, right?.

It doesn't matter the penetration noise since you would be screaming or not paying attention to it.

So yes, i want to known the bounce, ding, " It didn't go trough ", noise from the crew perspective INSIDE the vehicle. Anyway, SB has only one sound for hitting shells, so you would hear, from 3rd person perspective (F8), the same sound as the crew would hear inside.

As I said before, "bounce" WILL NOT HAPPEN with APDS/APFSDS...only at very big angles that are highly unlikely to be achieved.

All other round WILL penetrate INTO THE ARMOUR...and if they have sufficient energy through the armour into the vehicle interior.

I personally don't see the benefit of making a soundfile for something that happens once in 1000 shots.

Besides it would be a pain in the ass to get the 1st sound recording anyway(see: very unlikely to happen)

As i suspected.

Anyway, for example, a T-72M will never penetrates a Leopard 2A5 armor front-armor, it will not bounce but will creates a small hole in the hullarmor, correct, is that what are you saying?.

Anyway, this impact makes a noise hehe.

As i suspected.

Anyway, for example, a T-72M will never penetrates a Leopard 2A5 armor front-armor, it will not bounce but will creates a small hole in the hullarmor, correct, is that what are you saying?.

Anyway, this impact makes a noise hehe.

Yes...just that there would be no differnce in sound (interior penetrated or not) exept for the "end part"...which would be hard to record as the microphone is unlikely to survive.

:-D

And then "someone" is going to want a non penetration HESH sound and a non penetrating HEAT sound to go with the non penetrating APFSDS sound.

And of course the simulation will be "fatally flawed" without it. :)

And Imagine how many tries you'd have to take to record a penetrating HESH sound against an MBT ;-)

And then "someone" is going to want a non penetration HESH sound and a non penetrating HEAT sound to go with the non penetrating APFSDS sound.

And of course the simulation will be "fatally flawed" without it. :)

LOL!

Can't lie i would love that xD.