WWII tank sim.

hoggydog

On a Futurama binge I see. :)

3 Futurama related posts in 48hrs counts as a binge, this is a Bender...

Oh wait...

:)

#

One was going to write a post lording the intellectual contend and high

level of intellect shown by the contributors to this thread

Then hedge posted. LoL

"Gentlemen! Our work here is done!"

(spot this reference)

:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but should one SEPARATE them in game design?

If you do, that's an eminently political decision, so NOT mention what's going on behind the front, to NOT mention that every village that you conquer for the Germans will soon be raided by the SS to deport the Jews and other suspect Untermenschen. Every victory that you as a player achieves would in real life have meant a monstrous disaster for the population, and another victory for evil.

I hate doing the chest pounding that's often to be found among the German leftist that because we were the worst genocidal psychopaths of history, we also learned the lessons best (which then entitles us to tell others how they should feel about any other conflict, past and present). But there is a grain of truth in it that such a separation of military action and the very purpose for which it took place would be an active act of distorting the truth.

It might have held some water in a period where the apologists of the Wehrmacht upheld the distinction between "clean Wehrmacht" and "dirty SS" and that the people in Germany didn't know what was really going on. I think that the historians are well beyond that point. While people didn't know the details, saying that they had no clue whatsoever can only be explained with false testimony.

I would not want to promote the illusion that the Wehrmacht wasn't involved in Genocide and war crimes. And that is why it is so difficult - maybe impossible even, at least for me - to make a good game of all this. Games should be fun. That part of history is no fun at all unless you reduce the parties to mere cartoons, like the Nazis in the Indiana Jones movies. (As a side note, after finishing Schindler's List, Spielberg stated that he could never have cartoon Nazis in his movies again).

The political context devalues all the military achievements, the heroism that occurred, on both the German and Soviet side. Partisan warfare in the Balkans was atrocious. The least unpalatable, but arguably also the least important military operations were in North Africa, and even here the veterans of Tobruk may have a quite different view how honorable this war was fought.

The fact that we're already debating the political history of WW2 based on the mere statement of mine why there is no Panther in SB Pro should be indicator enough to let everybody see what might happen if there really was a WW2 version of Steel Beasts. So, let me just say in conclusion that I see plenty of space in the Post-WW2 era that hasn't be covered by computer and board games nearly as well as has been WW2, and as long as we can do something to improve today's training of our soldiers for tomorrow's conflicts (assuming that "we" are the good guys), I'd rather direct eSim's efforts into these fields than to work on the past.

We are first and foremost tank enthusiasts. We love tanks for what they represent to us. (engineering, psychological representation of power, military tool, etc.)

Being in a world of globalization, we have to keep in mind that we are talking to different people with different culture and different background. (including the trauma caused by the different world wars)

On the other hand we got to not forget what happenned in the past (for those who lost their lives) to prevent things to reproduce once again.

If we come to reenact things in a global manner, we would have to stop at some point not to offend nor open an old wound for the different people in the audience.

In any case we shouldn't trifle with the past, because so many people died and so many people suffered.

It's our mission to preserve peace and it's our duty to honor our deads.

If SteelBeasts 2.0/3.0 comes into WW2, we will have open up our mind to learn the story from every "side", for the sake of our passion.