The Battle for Caen {INTEREST THREAD}

Guest Killjoy

Guest Killjoy

Hello SB Community!

I've been playing around with this idea for awhile, so I just thought I'd post it up to see how many people would be interested.

Basically, the idea is to fight the Battle of Caen in SB. We've been racking our heads for AFVs to use, here's what we have so far:

Allies

CV90/40C w/no Ammo(Cromwell command tank)

Leopard 1A5(Sherman) w/ upgraded Ammo(Sherman Firefly)

BMP 1v(M5 Stuart/M3 Lee)

M113 w/50. cal(Halftrack)

2S1("Priest" Self Propelled Artillery)

M60("Achilles" Tank Destroyer)

Panzer Div.

Leopard 1AS1(Panzer IV)

Leopard 2A4(Tiger)

Leopard 2E(King Tiger)

BTR-80(SdKfz 234 Puma)

Tunguska(Flakpanzer)

M109(Hummel)

Edited by Killjoy

Hello SB Community!

I've been playing around with this idea for awhile, so I just thought I'd post it up to see how many people would be interested.

Basically, the idea is to fight the Battle of Caen in SB. We've been racking our heads for AFVs to use, here's what we have so far:

Allies

Leopard 1A5(Sherman)

BMP 1v(M5 Stuart/M3 Lee)

Halftrack(M113 w/50. cal)

2S1("Priest" Self Propelled Artillery)

Panzer Div.

Leopard 1AS1(Panzer IV)

Leopard 2A4(Tiger)

Leopard 2E(King Tiger)

BTR-80(SdKfz 234 Puma)

Tunguska(Flakpanzer)

M109(Hummel)

You can count me in. sounds like fun

I am pretty sure the panzer battalion guys will have some useful thoughts

On how to progress with the project as they already have some WW2 type scenarios .As for The skins quite a few already exist.

Guest Killjoy

I'm currently working on a few skins but, after seeing some of the Skins their members have produced, I was hoping our German Friends could assist us in creating a few.

I recall playing something similar in the Villars Bocage map with the 911 Pz Btl.

It was quite interesting. All vehicles have been "tunned" to the maximum to have the limitations of that era, such no TIS, no EMES, no laser, no stabilization, oldest ammo....

The guys from the 911 can surely give you some nice ideas about how to do it.

Servus Guys,

count me in too.

2 years ago manteuffel and I made a H2H scenario in WWII style.

The name was King of Caen.

But I know Eisenschwein and manteuffel made another historic H2H campagne on the Hameln or Kleeve map years ago. But we never played it, because it was very big. But I know the idea was very interesting and they put a lot of work in it.

If you need skin support you have to asked Falli or Gladiator.

best regards

Duke

I also make a rework on the King of Caen scenario, but it takes time.

Guest Killjoy
Servus Guys,

count me in too.

2 years ago manteuffel and I made a H2H scenario in WWII style.

The name was King of Caen.

But I know Eisenschwein and manteuffel made another historic H2H campagne on the Hameln or Kleeve map years ago. But we never played it, because it was very big. But I know the idea was very interesting and they put a lot of work in it.

If you need skin support you have to asked Falli or Gladiator.

best regards

Duke

I also make a rework on the King of Caen scenario, but it takes time.

Fantastic!

I've been thinking about it abit more and if you have those WW2 style scenarios, maybe we could give the idea a test run on one of them before we get into the main event. I suppose it could be seen as a training or familiarization mission so people can get use to the controls.

I'll be sure to give Falli and Gladiator a PM then! :)

Thanks Duke!

Servus Killjoy,

go ahead with your scenario. I´m still working on my H2H and the other H2H from manteuffel and Eisenschwein was made with the good old Beta version, so it also needs some redesign and I don`t know if they will do it.

All informations about the scenario you can find here

best regards

Duke

Notwithstanding the particular units stationed around Caen, the most common tank issued to German units was the Panzer IV. Whether by mistaken ID or whether it was nerves, the Tiger in particular tended to gain such a reputation that nervous Allied crews would report anything as a possible Tiger- if a Sherman brewed up and no enemy could be identified, or the threat seemed particularly strong, a Tiger must be shooting.

There are also arguably the more dangerous threat with no correlation in Steel Beasts- the towed anti-tank guns, and the self propelled anti tank guns (maybe the M109 and 2S1 could fill in for those).

If you tried to flank the Tiger, there might often be StuGs or towed 75 and 88 mm anti-tank guns deployed off axis with panzer troops to stumble into if they tried to flank or bypass a known or suspected Tiger. These threats were extremely difficult to detect, and often gave the greater credit to the Tigers for the high tallies on poor crews.

Guest Killjoy
There are also arguably the more dangerous threat with no correlation in Steel Beasts- the towed anti-tank guns, and the self propelled anti tank guns (maybe the M109 and 2S1 could fill in for those).

Marder and the Ferdinand.

I never thought of that. Good catch! :)

Am I the only one who thinks that even if the specs of existing SB AFVs were 'modified' to accurately reflect WWII trechnology, the fact that in the 3D world they would look nothing like the vehicles they were supposed to represent would destroy any 'immesion' factor?

Guest Killjoy
Am I the only one who thinks that even if the specs of existing SB AFVs were 'modified' to accurately reflect WWII trechnology, the fact that in the 3D world they would look nothing like the vehicles they were supposed to represent would destroy any 'immesion' factor?

Working on Skins to remedy part of that. ;)

I think your biggest issue (apart from the AT guns already mentioned) will be to break enough stuff to make it "realistic":

No AT assets for Allied Infantry (disable the AT4s).

No Stab

No power traverse for some vehicles

No laser range finder

No ballistic computer

No vehicle mounted smoke (for Allied vehicles anyway)

No NVGs for crews or dismounts

No HEAT

No map updates

Most vehicles will need to be using "emergency" gunnery mode at "best" (which I suspect most are not familiar / comfortable with using).