Terrain themes NEED review

Ssnake

• Members

Some people may not have noticed this important thread. It is vital that all mission and map designers have a look at their own scenarios and fix the settings in the corresponding terrain theme. Otherwise we will all experience funky scenario behavior with the next version.

I would rather like to avoid it, especially since we can act in advance. Please update your theme files, maps, and scenarios, and send me these updates so that we can include them in the next release. That way we can avoid the panic mode that we experienced last time that we introduced the terrain themes and then discovered the trouble with those pesky boulders.

This time bumpiness may have this effect, and most terrain themes have 100% bumpiness for most terrain types, which is bad, and which needs to be fixed.

Please act while there is still time.

• 11 months later...

Personally, it's not that I don't give a damn, but like Froggy said, it will will be better to see first hand the effects of the bumpiness value so the scenario designer can adjust it according to the effects that he wants to obtain.

Out of curiosity, will the default values for the terrain types be set to a reasonalbe level in the new release? (Smooth surface with a small value (5%), and rocky surface with a higher value (50%)).

• Members
I'm just waiting the new version to test theme edit before to update my maps

Well, even then it would make sense to go over existing themes of your own making and set the "tentative recommendations" that I made. You would only need to make minor modifications then, and you'd have a relatively reasonable working solution right away.

I can only give advice, it's up to you to take it.

• Members
Out of curiosity, will the default values for the terrain types be set to a reasonalbe level in the new release? (Smooth surface with a small value (5%), and rocky surface with a higher value (50%)).

We'll have three default themes (winter, desert, woodland) as a reference and as a starting point. If all else fails you could simply import these. However, that would also mean that you lose all settings about ground clutter, dustiness, custom textures, and more.

I do give a damn, however I am still learning how to properly use the triggers, I have yet to really look at the terrian editor, well ok I looked, but I am thinking I need to first master the trigger system then take a look at modifing the terrian.

I have several test mission that are on plain terrian, and I will keep in mind the bumpyness factor when I start on modifing the terrian.

Bullet