VAC Voice Activated Commands - Working in Steelbeast PRE PE?

Kelvin_Ice

Hello All

I use the voice command program VAC when I run DCS A-10C flight simulator.

VAC is the best third part program for this I have used. It delivers, smooth and smart.

Now I tried to use it in Steelbeast Pro PE for voice command platoon formations and spread, initiate triggers and as if I used a radio for support element eg. Art on area 5 if you please or just down right ASAP!!!!. Anyway the VAC application in Steelbeast would make single simulation more fun. As in, start talking to myself.

Well friends I don't get it to work - I worked my brain to the end of the line.... So here I reach out my hand and ask any and all..... Does Steelbeast block sound input on a computer in any way? Secondly does anyone use any type of voice command program in connection to playing Steelbeast?

If you like to try it - Help me solve this running more "workbenches" then look for VAC on the internet. Will not promote it with a link in this great forum.

Happy holidays Guys and Girls

I'm willing to help you, but only things i found on google with the term "vac" is the "valve anti cheat", "virtual audio cable" and a hungarian soccer club.

So if you want my help, provide the link and i'll have a look.

If you don't want to publlish the link in the forum (for whatever reasons) write me a PM.

Okay, i downloaded and installed the programm from Retros link, set up 2 commands in my native language (german), assigned the keys and viola it worked in steel beasts.

My system:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (german)

Creative HS-1200 wireless headset (USB)

Steel Beasts Pro PE 2.654

So, what exactly is your problem?

• Members

I guess you are using a german OS version?

I think MS voice recognition gets 'interesting' once you try (eg) english spoken commands on a german OS version, or german spoken commands in the english version. Of course, in the 'Ultimate' versions of the OS you can download additional language packs, but mere 'home' or 'pro' users would be left out in the cold - at least as far as I understand the whole thng.

I guess you are using a german OS version?

There's no need to guess. I wrote it above in my specs.

I can try to set up english commands and look how the program react. I'm not sure, but i think i don't have the english language pack installed...

Edit: you are right. The Program did not work proper with commands in other language that the OS is. Some commands worked, but the most didn't.

I use a similar program called Shoot, and it works quite well with SBProPE. I read somewhere of someone getting Windows 7's voice recognition to work, too. In all three cases it's just a matter of sending keystrokes by speaking into a mic rather than physically pressing the keys. SB doesn't block that in any way.

I don't know how DCS utilizes voice activation, but I suspect it's the same way -- translating sounds into keypresses. In that case, if it works for DCS I don't understand why it wouldn't work for SB.

I'm assuming the OP has rechecked his profile mapping. When he says (for example) "Echelon right" does VAC send a "\"? etc. etc. etc. My best guess is that there is a keymapping conflict somewhere -- potentially involving the mic 'send' key or something similar.

I used Game Commander years ago with very much success. You could give multiple similar commands. This flow of talking or yelling at your crew during a knife fight became a combat multiplier more then a game gimmicky interface like I thought it would be. I have not used the newest Game Commander 2 with SB pe. But if it is as good as the 1st Game Commander then that might be what your looking for.

Good point. I used to use Game Commander long ago in offline flight sims. Online, the potential for confliction with TS is obvious. Or does anyone know a way round it? Just curious - I have all 'command keystrokes' mapped to button on my joystick so don't need it.

I suspect you'd need to be very careful as to which commands you mapped to which words.

If you mapped "fire" to "fire" then discussions about occupying a "support by fire position" or "Are you able to fire on X?" might generate a bunch of undue ammunition expenditure.

The answer to this is using PTT and NOT using the same key for Teamspeak and voice commands. Each app "hears" only that which is spoken while its dedicated key is depressed.

Good point. I used to use Game Commander long ago in offline flight sims. Online, the potential for confliction with TS is obvious. Or does anyone know a way round it? Just curious - I have all 'command keystrokes' mapped to button on my joystick so don't need it.

Wouldn't it be the same as a real track commander keeping crew and platoon coms separate? How does that work, anyway?

But no doubt it would take some practice to master, especially in the heat of engagement. I only play offline, but it works great for me in that role. I've played SB almost from the beginning that way, so I'm comfortable with it. Keys that are typically verbal actions/orders are Shoot-sent (Gunner tank! Fire fire say-bow, driver backup); button-pushing stuff is on the HOTAS (polarity/mag changes, popping smoke, ammo selection from the gunner's seat). There is some overlap so it's not perfect. It's a wip.

Wouldn't it be the same as a real track commander keeping crew and platoon coms separate? How does that work, anyway?

Maybe.

In RL your CVC / headset tends to have both a spring loaded and an on/off switch.

Push the lever against the spring and talk on radio. Release when you finish and it pops back ending your transmission.

Need to switch from Sqn net to BG net or other net, reach and flick a switch on the control box that determines which radio you are talking on when you press the spring loaded lever.

Push the switch the other way to talk internally within the vehicle (the radio though will drown this out as required).

So want to give a crew brief press the button and talk.

Traditionally though urgent commands and fire orders/responses are shouted to ensure people hear them.

Sounds like that could be simulated very well, then. PTT mimicks the springloaded switch. A separate (or shifted) button might mimick pushing it the other way for in-vehicle coms.

But I do concede it could easily get overcomplicated, especially with multiple teamspeak channels to manage, each requiring its own hotkey I gather. I bet with some thought and enough functions on the hotas one could make it work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Thank you guys for your time. As you said it works in Steelbeast PRO PE I got myself new energy to solve this - And I did, with a whole lot of uninstall/reinstall. Now its working and it is a treat to call down atry. via triggers, to area. To even split up platoons by voice. (Beats the mouse to menu interface).

And yes I use the voice commands according to "in game" communication. In gunners seat I get HEAT in the tube and a BMP at range 2700 meter moving fast in hilly surrondings so I say to Commander: "Hey Dude change to Sabot or this will take all day" (F7 INSERT INSERT F6 F2 (0.75 seconds)) and such. Works.

I have not been online since 12 December 2006. And now I'm getting eccentric in my "old" days. A lot of talking going on under my single missions. VAC gives you a wide range of freedom and an ability to use whole sentences to provide a menu -submanu -submanu -submenu way of controlling cascading commands (Not so much in steelbeast)

Have a nice New year

Boom!!!