OPERATION VARIABLE III

Tacbat

OPV3copy_zps1cee9d14.jpg

For the veterans of the first two Variable campaigns, the wait is over for the next version in this series. It is time once again for another Operation Variable campaign.

This announcement is a heads-up for those who would be interested in filling the CO positions on either the Blue or Red side. The campaign is tentatively slated to begin on 01 Feb 13 at the regular TGIF time. I expect to run a total of 6 missions for this campaign, so it should conclude at the end of March, will the possibility of a few make-up games in Apr if absolutely necessary. If you are interested in being a CO, please send me a PM.

The rules and ORBAT for OPV3 are being drafted as we speak. Generally speaking, both sides will have a base that the other side will try to capture/destroy to win the campaign. Both sides will have a similar ORBAT, so neither will be at a disadvantage. One big change from the previous Variable will be that there will be no map updates for the first few missions of the campaign.

You can find info on previous versions of Op Variable here:

OPV1

OPV2

Battlefield picture by RogueSnake

Please, do not post any questions here about the campaign until I have posted the rules. They will likely answer most questions players will have. If you have a burning desire to ask a question, then send it to me via PM so this thread doesn't get cluttered. Thanks!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Excellent! Operation Variable is always good fun (not to put any pressure on you for #3).

Now excuse me while I go cream my pants. :sonic:

Edit: I just noticed that we didn't put Operation Variable II into the SB Wiki at the time. Shame, shame!

Edited by Volcano
typo

Nope, no pressure here (I'm not CO'ing :)).

Yeah, we were both pretty busy with OPV2 last time...

Here's the first draft of the rules for OPV3. I am still drafting the ORBAT, so some vehicles may or may not be available in the campaign. However, chances are that if it's crewable, it'll be in there.

If anyone has questions after reading through the rules, then go ahead and ask away!

56e83cc80449d_OPVariable3Rules_rar.793d4

OP Variable 3 Rules.rar

• Moderators

Looks good. I read through the rules and I have one question:

Any chance some of the newest playable vehicles can be added to the purchase list, like the T-72M1 @ ~40 or ~50 pts? Also, what about BTR-80 @ ~50 pts and BRDM-2 @ ~20 pts? (these suggested prices are based on the values you have for similar vehicles). Or do you plan to keep it western vehicles only again? I am fine either way, just askin'. :)

I'll be in for most of OV3, but will be away for about 12 days in March. Accordingly, a supporting role for me. Looking forward to the details.

Edit: Just checked the calendar: I'll just be able to make all six missions. Let the planning begin!

Edited by Tango29

"The campaign will be fought on the Paderborn map (by Manteuffel) which is available in the SB.com downloads area."

Got the Paderborn.ter map into SB, but when I try to access it, I'm told that the system "Cannot open Height Map...Paderborn.hgt." Not sure how this is done: any guidance appreciated!

Any chance some of the newest playable vehicles can be added to the purchase list...

Yes, chances are that if it's playable, it'll be included, unless there are are similar vehicles, then you can expect one or two versions/types of them to be available, max. It's too much work to put everything in there.

I'm still putting the ORBAT and points spreadsheet together, so once that's done, I'll update the vehicle lists that are in the draft rules.

Here's the OPV3 Points calculator spread sheet. Let me know if you see any errors with it. If there's a vehicle or two that you absolutely must have, I will entertain suggestions from the CO's ONLY.

CO's, you can expect to receive two Companies worth of equipment, with recce and supporting assets to begin with. On top of that, you have 1500 points which you can use to customize your starting force before the first mission is played. I'll be working on creating the first mission with all the units on them, so expect to see that in a week or so.

56e83cd430d62_OpVariable3Calculatorv3_ra

Op Variable 3 Calculator v3.rar

Just an update for the map for mission 1. The map has shifted 4 km north to balance out the distance from each side's HQ. So the new coordinates are:

North – the 59th northing

East – the 04th easting

South – the 39th northing

West – the 84th easting

I should have the initial scenario built by next weekend, so that will give the CO's 2 weeks to do their planning. Manteuffle is busy updaing the map, so you can expect to see some additional improvements as well.

The veterans of the last TGIF are forever grateful. :)

The vets must be the ones who actually got stuck in. My three tanks moved about 500 meters (post startex deployments), then sat there the whole game. No rounds fires, no fuel burned off, no mud on the road wheels: made for a quick last parade back at the barn! :biggrin:

The veterans of the last TGIF are forever grateful. :)
The vets must be the ones who actually got stuck in. My three tanks moved about 500 meters (post startex deployments), then sat there the whole game. No rounds fires, no fuel burned off, no mud on the road wheels: made for a quick last parade back at the barn! :biggrin:

My definition is a bit broader than that and is basically those who stuck with it (despite the urge to have a "crash" and be forced to give up).

I'm not suprised your tanks were under employed.

My Company deployed to the centre town and dismounted. We then had to "react" to the South.

Well a glacier reacts faster than these guys.

20+ mins trying to remount a Company into trucks and then only one Platoon was fully loaded (i.e. I watch soldiers climb onto the trucks). I dispatch them but everytime I went to F8 to check their progress they'd stop.

Then I had to replot the route from scratch.

Finally I just updated the icon on the map.

I get to the Southern town and unload (en route a truck had hit a tree so I'm now down to two trucks).

I click on the infantry icon to work out where I am and guess what, despite being on the map in the South, in the 3D world the infantry were back at the embarkation point.

So I gave up and observed the fighting on the map. Didn't jump into anyone's vehicle because I had no idea what that might bring on.

A fun 90 Mins + 20% for all. :)