OPERATION VARIABLE III

Tacbat

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the AAR for Mission 2 available, or will it become available in the next few days? Very sorry to have missed it: never thought that I'd have the trouble connecting that I had. :redface:

Hope to hold up my end much better next Friday.

If I heard correctly, you were trying to play through a hotel's wi-fi connection. I'm afraid that's just not going to work for Steel Beasts as you have no way to forward the ports correctly when you're staying at a hotel. Your connection strength was also very poor. With the 25% packet loss you had--25% of the data sent to and from your system is being lost in the ether--games are entirely unplayable anyway. You would certainly have dropped from the game almost immediately after it began had you managed to get connected.

Of course we look forward to having you back on blue team with us this Friday. We were understaffed for mission 2 and it hurt a lot.

Sorry have to report I'm a scratching for this week too. :( Just found out I'm off on a boat ... a grey one.

Well-l-l...tanks have hulls, boats have hulls. Tanks have turrets, some boats have turrets. Some tanks had propellers, boats have propellers. Are you sure that you're not turning "nautical" on us...?? :Sailor:

If I heard correctly, you were trying to play through a hotel's wi-fi connection. I'm afraid that's just not going to work for Steel Beasts as you have no way to forward the ports correctly when you're staying at a hotel. Your connection strength was also very poor. With the 25% packet loss you had--25% of the data sent to and from your system is being lost in the ether--games are entirely unplayable anyway. You would certainly have dropped from the game almost immediately after it began had you managed to get connected.

Of course we look forward to having you back on blue team with us this Friday. We were understaffed for mission 2 and it hurt a lot.

Yes, I lugged computer, joystick, mouse-pad, powered hub, code-meter and all the wiring kit seven hours down the road. Everything was working well until it came time to make the server connection!

That's me: "Worked hard, tried hard, failed miserably!" Make up for it on Friday, though! :sonic:

Yes, I lugged computer, joystick, mouse-pad, powered hub, code-meter and all the wiring kit seven hours down the road. Everything was working well until it came time to make the server connection!

That's me: "Worked hard, tried hard, failed miserably!" Make up for it on Friday, though! :sonic:

No one is blaming you for making the effort! I'm glad you tried, but there just wasn't anything you could do about it. We'll look forward to seeing you *in game* on the 15th.

On an unrelated note, and bear in mind this is a minor complaint, I think the special UAV objective was somewhat duplicitous mission design. I feel that as a player I deserve "honest" intelligence so that I can form a reasonable expectation of enemy behavior. I understand that intelligence can be erroneous, but two downed UAVs with separate tracking beacons being reported as a single downed UAV doesn't seem reasonable to me in this context.

We were told that a UAV went down and that both teams would be competing for it. When I saw that it crashed in red territory I tried to make a reasonable judgement of how red team might respond to that. Red didn't respond in the way that I imagined, not because they were clever (those Leopards were sneaky, but that's unrelated) or because my judgement was bad, but because that wasn't the "droid" they were looking for. I was doubly confused when I located and destroyed red's tracker M113 near the highway, well outside of the alleged objective area. I was far too task-saturated at that point to realize that the UAV objective was actually in a different place for red team.

Finally, although it didn't happen, I could have imagined further problems had one team accidentally located the enemy's downed UAV, and been confused by its location outside of the objective area and its non-responsiveness to their M113 tracker.

I think the special UAV objective was somewhat duplicitous mission design. I feel that as a player I deserve "honest" intelligence so that I can form a reasonable expectation of enemy behavior.

The intel you received was not misleading whatsoever. Your side had a UAV in the area marked on your map. If you assumed that the other side was also looking for a UAV in the same area, then that's solely on you. I have no control over what you think the other side is going to do.

The intel you received was not misleading whatsoever. Your side had a UAV in the area marked on your map. If you assumed that the other side was also looking for a UAV in the same area, then that's solely on you. I have no control over what you think the other side is going to do.

Yes, it was misleading. I never thought for a moment that you meant to mislead me. I think you made a small mistake, but there's nothing wrong with that. I just want you to be aware of how I felt looking at this in hindsight. It's a minor complaint because the mission was completely fair and I had fun; it's not something I want to make a great fuss over, but I stand by my opinion.

Also, I never said you had control over what I though red was going to do, but I believe the mission and briefing need to be designed in such a way that both sides can try to reason out what their enemies might do. (Bad intel is definitely a compelling element in good mission design, but that isn't what's going on here.)

Your words earlier in this thread with emphasis added: "In an effort to determine what the situation is on the ground, international forces have launched UAV platforms to survey the battlefield. Reports are that one of these UAV's has crashed somewhere close to the frontline. If recovered by either side, it may be possible to repair it, and use it to their advantage."

So: one UAV which either side may recover. That implies a lot of exclusivity. Now to be fair, that is here on the forum and not in the brief. I did take another look at the mission briefing too and it never states that red is also searching for a UAV, let alone in the same area. But I believed official-looking statements from you on the forums were more than just fluff text.

I think the underlying issue here is that there are expectations we all bring with us to the game and they are not always the same from person to person, or from player to mission designer. When said expectations are not the same, and someone breaks what someone else thought was one of those unwritten rules, then things like this happen. It's not a big deal (in spite of how much I've written here), and now I understand better what you consider to be fair game when you design missions.

Bah, just aim for the muzzle flashes. ;)

Gee, why didn't I think of that? Mind you, if you can see the muzzle flash, you might be seeing the round shortly! :biggrin

I jury-rigged a T-72 night exercise just to see what you see through the sights. The ambient light as seen in the F8 screen gives a marginally adequate situational awareness, but the F3 infrared sight is not much good beyond, say, 500 yards (at least, not for me). I can only hope that there will be a full moon Friday night. :sonic:

Your words earlier in this thread with emphasis added: "In an effort to determine what the situation is on the ground, international forces have launched UAV platforms to survey the battlefield. Reports are that one of these UAV's has crashed somewhere close to the frontline. If recovered by either side, it may be possible to repair it, and use it to their advantage."

So: one UAV which either side may recover. That implies a lot of exclusivity. Now to be fair, that is here on the forum and not in the brief. I did take another look at the mission briefing too and it never states that red is also searching for a UAV, let alone in the same area. But I believed official-looking statements from you on the forums were more than just fluff text.

Yeah, I see your point. From now on Ill ensure that any commentary on the mission is only contained within the mission briefing. ;)