NBG III "Challenge is our life"

Duke(911)

I`m sitting in my HQ to update the operation plan with my staff, FO, Engineers and CO`s. Suddenly we heard the noise of a helicopter and 5 Mike later the chief of staff of the finnish army walked into our HQ:

LVU (Lagevortrag zur Unterrichtung)  Briefing to inform

1.mission

I have received only following order from my commanding officer: "Hold the airfield and keep HW6 untrafficable for the enemy. Move your BG south of the riverline in full, starting now."

2.Enemy situation

The intel guys have come to following conclusion minutes after the sh**storm at the airfield:

The enemy NE of Rapojärvi was the HW15 enemy force rearguard. It's dead now. The HW15 enemy is out of steam (well, fuel and ammunition supplies mainly), it can hold its own, but is no longer capable of continuing the attack to Mikkeli.

The enemy force between HW15 and river was part of the HW6 Bde's flank guard (part of it had moved on further east along with the attack, with only some units left behind to counter the NBG threat). The unit was an ad-hoc force of an ATGM platoon and an engineer platoon. Both units are now KO, but the eng platoon did manage to blow the bridges.

The enemy at Ranta-Utti was a CSS company (part of Bde asset). Destruction of this unit means the HW6 Bde CSS assets are down to minimum.

The Enemy at airfield was part of the CSS coy and an SPA Bn with some reinforcements to help in self defence (SPAA and ATGM vehicles). The NBG attack hit the area during some last repairs for T-80s and SPA Bn rearming. The units tried to escape the mayhem but were cut down. This reduces the HW6 Bde artillery assets to 1/2 of the original strenght.

The enemy at the Utti Jaeger Regiment barracks area was a rear command post of the HW6 Bde. Being mostly KO now (some escaped) it is no longer "online".

The enemy T-80 coy (+) that counterattacked the airfield, (at quite a good moment too!) was the local reserve QRF. It also got killed during the fighting.

Before we start our Attack to UTTI AIRFIELD our UAV scout a T-80 plt and a BMP-2 plt 1000 NORTH of CEMETARY. Maybe this was the QRF, maybe not.

We also had some trouble with HIND Attack helicopters during our attack.

The enemy is mainly forces of the 1st echelon brigade that took Kouvola, so it's not in full strenght and we estimate strenght of max 2 battalions with support. The HW6 Bde east of us is mostly commited in combat with defending units, but they may be able to reinforce the attack on the airfield with some units, strenght less than Bn.

The enemy counter attack is imminent, to open the MSR Highway 6 and to destroy NBG.

We destroyed during the last two battles 37 tanks (MBT, SPA, AA etc.), 51 IFV`s, 2 HIND`s and 17 trucks.

3.Situation and intend of surperiors and neighbors

After NBG cleared Valkeala, a Finnish light infantry BG and an ATGM company pushed through and deployed SW of Valkeala, to block the enemy counterattacks. We know they are still there, Highway 6 is still cut off. The other parts of our Division are east of us and defend against the enemy main body.

4.Friendly situation own intent

S1:

During the last battle NBG lost 87 troopers and 8 vehicles. In the first battle we lost 64 troopers and 3 vehicles.

So in summary we lost 151 troopers and 11 vehicles.

The main challenge of our BG is to bring all parts of the BG together.

Now we have two groups, first the units here in UTTI and the second group is in the area of TOIKKALA.

Units available in UTTI:

HQ coy:

CO (CV9030)

FO (FOV90)

FI coy:

CO (CV9030)

A plt: 3x CV9030

C plt: 4x CV9030

D plt: 4x Leopard 2A4

SE coy:

A plt: 1 Strv 122

B plt: 2 Strv 122

C plt: 2x CV9040

NO coy:

CO (CV9030)

A plt: 2x CV9030

D plt: 2x Leopard 2A4

DK coy:

CO (M113)

A plt: 2x M113eng (1x MICLIC), (1/A KO)

B plt: 2x Biber (committed at the bridge site)

C plt: Wisent+2x med

D plt: Wisent+2x med

E plt: 1 HEMTT

In the area of TOIKKALA we have these units on march to UTTI:

HQ:

Recce platoon (A): 2x Piranha

ATGM platoon (B): 3x Piranha, 3x Javelin launcher

FI coy:

B plt: 2x CV9030

SE coy:

XO (CV9040)

A plt 1 Strv

D plt: 2x CV9040

NO coy:

B plt: 3x CV9030

C plt: 3x CV9030

DK coy:

E plt: 2 HEMTT.

S2:

At this moment we have no enemy contact.

We work together with the local underground to get new informations about red activities.

We also use our AVZ (reconnaissance and liaison platoon) for recon patrols around the airfield.

S3:

the main task in the moment are:

defend the airport and cut MSR HW 6,

to update the operation plan (and barrier plan, fire plan, etc)

to plan the repairing and resupplying of the units in UTTI,

to organizing the march from TOIKKALA to UTTI,

to work on plans for withdrawing and to plan counterattacks

all tasks are in progress

S4:

The challenge for S4 is to repair the vehicles in UTTI.

From the 14 IFV`s in UTTI are 2 damaged and from 9 MBT`s are 6 damaged.

Repair units are on the march from TOIKKALA to UTTI.

Ammunition is not a problem, we have only one HEMTT in UTTI but our units have still 50% of Ammo.

The repair area is here …

The area for resupplying is here …

S5:

We try to find volunteers to emplace obstacles.

It works good, a lot of local people help us to create Abatis and other obstacles.

S6:

We don`t use brevity list`s. The different dialects of the troopers confuse the enemy.

Cdr NBG:

My intention is:

1. To establish a hasty defense in the SOUTH WEST of UTTI AIRFIELD, along MSR Highway 6, with Fin coy (reinforced with SWE units) and in the EAST with NOR coy. Point of main effort is the SOUTHWEST.
  2. To overwatch the area in the EAST, SOUTH and WEST of UTTI with light vehicles and observer teams.
  3. To bring the NBG together as fast as possible, to repair NBG (sequence: SWE coy, Fin coy, Dan coy) and to resupply NBG (sequence: Fin coy, NOR coy, SWE coy, Dan coy).
  4. To be combat ready for another attack.

5.Command problems, other considerations

Our only command challenge is the language barrier.

6.Requests and Proposals

Requests:

1. I need more AA capability on the AIRFIELD against enemy HIND`s.
  2. If possible, I need a UAV (The best AA in the world has downed our UAV).
  3. A section of TIGER helicopter in VALKEALA to support us if necessary.
  4. I need the capability to interference enemy radio.

Proposal:

1. We need more time here, maybe our airforce can block the enemy in KOUVALA.
  2. If the enemy attack starts from the EAST, to start a counterattack with our units in the EAST.
  3. To start an feint (Scheinangriff) with Jaeg Bn 101 to KOUVALA.

7.Summary

At this moment I can cut off MSR HW 6.

If we can repair and reorganize our NBG than we can hold the area.

If the enemy attacks with the main body in the next hour, than we can cut off the MSR HW 6, but not hold the whole area UTTI AIRFIELD.

We need some time, but we will hard work for it, so we will win our challenge, SIR.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I don't know about a date (late January '13 is the last I heard) but the time (based on the last two) has been 0600 here in Sydney on a Sunday, so thats what 0800 in NZ. :)

Details of last time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20121229T19

Ideally though people gather on TS 45min or so before kick off.

Hmm to Direct Fire or Not?? That is the Question.

I have a feeling this could be a:

"Stand And Die/Fight* Like Guardsmen!!"

* Delete as applicable

Well as you don't have any artillery on the map (i.e. everything you are using is being "called in" from some distance), I suspect the only "Direct Fire" option you have is your FO vehicle's MG or your sidearm. :)

Well as you don't have any artillery on the map (i.e. everything you are using is being "called in" from some distance), I suspect the only "Direct Fire" option you have is your FO vehicle's MG or your sidearm. :)

Well during our scrounging after the Airfield was captured, I "Liberated" a very clean AKM with a full webbing set and a box labelled:

"Рука гранаты MK13"

It contains several small green egg shaped things with a ring pull thingy,

I've asked the lads what they do and how you use them....

Apparently, you pull this ring bit off, then throw the egg bit very hard in the direction of undesirables.

They were a bit vague on what happens next. :confused:

I have to say I'm itching to try them out. :)

Apparently, you pull this ring bit off, then throw the egg bit very hard in the direction of undesirables.

Yes drop the ring bit, throw the egg.

Very important you don't get this mixed up. :)

The other fun thing to remember is that most of these have a blast radius bigger than how far you can throw it, so always a good idea to "lie down rapidly" after throwing it.

Hey Hedge,

in the next mission, we have our Arty On the map.

So if red will break through, we can use our Arty in direct fire.:biggrin:

MkG

Duke

Ohhh, not sure about that, Artillery types tend to get a bit nervous when they can see what they are firing at.

(At least they should be able to hit the thing though....)

And does this mean I have to share my small green eggs? :(

Mental Note: SP Artillery Guns are NOT Tanks.

Still, it'll be interesting to see what they can "Brass up" :)

Guest Killjoy

Alpha FIN is ready and willing to give Ivan the old boot up the britches!

I'm glad there's a few RK95s in here.. Funny feeling I'll be out the TC's hatch at some stage! :)

Just got the word that my computer is upgraded and ready for pickup. I'd like to retry "FI Coy D plt: 4x Leopard 2A4," as Pl Comd if that slot is still open. I'll await the first staffing list to see if this is acceptable, or if I should bid elsewhere.

I'm in.

February 9th gives me plenty of time to get on for some TGIF games, sort out connection and the like if that needs doing, meet some of the guys.

I haven't got the confidence in game to command a subunit yet, not familiar enough with the interface and all when it comes to commanding, but set away as someone's gunner on the first major op I shouldn't do too poorly. Most familiar with Leopard 2A4 at the moment. For everybody who's wanted to shout at me over the last few months now's your chance to be my TC.

Failing that I can famil myself with the CV9030/9040 pretty damn quick. Let me know where you'd rather have me, as I'm the new face in this crew.