Scenario Design Contest

Sean

• Administrators

Software developer eSim Games, LLC and the official fan site of its premier product, Steelbeasts.com, will be awarding several prizes for the best single player/co-op missions. Submissions will be accepted up until June 1, 2008. Submissions will then be evaluated by judges for the next month. The winners will be announced on July 1, 2008. Judges will be available online on teamspeak on Wednesday nights at 9pm – 10pm CST (GMT-6) to answer questions on scenario design.

The following categories will be rated from 1 to 10 for each scenario.

1) Scoring

2) Briefing

3) Play Balance

4) Fun Factor

5) Replayability

6) Originality

Once the scenarios have been evaluated, each judges scores will be averaged to create a overall score for each scenario, and a score for each category. Prizes will then be awarded for the top 3 overall scenarios, and the top point earner in each of the six categories. All submissions may be included in future releases of Steel Beasts.

Submissions must meet these minimum requirements in order to be evaluated:

1) The submission must be new – you cannot submit an existing scenario.

2) The submission must be your original work. Participants cannot modify other people’s work and submit it as their own.

3) A working score.

4) A briefing that covers the basics (in English). (Machine translation is ok)

5) Routes and waypoints for the red side.

6) One submission will be accepted per person.

7) Judges and eSim Games staff cannot participate in the contest. (BETA testers CAN participate.)

8) The name of the scenario designer must appear at the bottom of the briefing.

9) Teams may submit a scenario but only one prize will be awarded. Members of a team may not submit additional scenarios seperately.

Any problems with collaborations or teams? For instance, if two people worked together could they submit a scenario as a team?

Does the requirement for original work extend to the maps used as well. For instance, would it be considered my original work if I submitted a scenario using Eisenschwein's Truppenuebungsplatz Bergen map?

• Members
Any problems with collaborations or teams? For instance, if two people worked together could they submit a scenario as a team?

I don't see a reason why not.

The problem could be to divide up the loot.

Does the requirement for original work extend to the maps

No. You are encouraged to use existing maps. It's not a map building contest.

• Members
What kind of prizes are to be expected?

We have high quality tank miniatures, mouse pads, and there were plans for more. The final list hasn't been decided yet, but we wanted to get the ball rolling since scenario building costs time and we wanted to finish this before the summer.

So could a single scenario win several prizes?

Yes. Handing out the same trophy multiple times to one winner seems to be kind of nonsensical to me though, so we would have to reassess that approach should such a situation occur. In this case I would rather opt for a special prize for winning multiple categories, and hand down the normal prize to the second winner.

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, the answer to this may be obvious, but I'll ask anyway. Any preference on which version since scenarios made with the beta can't be played with the latest release version?

Rats, I just made one with the Beta, does that mean it has a limited life or can it be converted?

• 3 weeks later...