I want this SIM

chuckman

Hi all, Steel Beast look like it has a good community and i want in.Should i purchase SB Pro PE or wait until SB2 comes out?When will that be?What do you think SB2 will cost?I have no problem with the price of SB Pro PE ,this sim looks great.I just want to play online. Will SB2 and SB Pro PE be able to play together online? Will SB2 look better or the same has SB Pro PE?.............Right now im practising with the first SB and flying Lock-on another good sim.I know SB has a high learning curve and im looking forward to the challenge.Just a few questions before i buy dont want to buy and old sim when a new one is on the way.............Thanks ............Im in Texas and like to play late at night use to play ww2 online alot.

Hi Chuckman, I would recommend going for PRO PE since you most likely won't see SB2 for a couple of years,

SB2 will be a commercial product aimed for the simulator "massmarket" and will lack some of the feauters of SB PRO PE, when it comes to graphics i can only guess, but i would find it very likely that the devs improve the eyecandy, like shadows, dynamic lightning, animated suspension etc...

About SB2 and SB Pro PE being compatible for online play, I don't think it will happen, it would be cool but i think the problems and cost in developing such a platform would be to great for a small developer like Esim.

So go ahead and order SB PRO PE, you won't regrett it :-)

hmmm WWII Online player, we may have ran into eachother on the battlefield, I played WWII Online for almost 5 years, dedicated axis player, played with a squad called KGW (Kampfgruppe Wiking) but i just got tired of the game getting more and more rediculous by every patch, getting further and further away from what it was intended to be, CRS completely ingoring the community, nerfing equipment on both sides for game balance etc etc...

• Members

I don't expect SB2 to emerge before late 2009 or even 2010, and I expected it to be two years down the road two years ago. As has been discussed in this board for several times, we simply lack the manpower to work simultaneously on both SB Pro and SB2, and the market isn't big enough to allow us to hire more staff for a parallel development either. So, we're stuck with SB Pro PE for the moment as far as a "marginally consumer oriented simulation game" is concerned.

There is no other vehicle-centric simulation of contemporary armor and combined arms available for a comparable price and with the same or higher fidelity. I think I can safely say that. I still think that there are better games out there, but as far as simulations in the field of contemporary armor go ... well - is there any, at all? ArmA and CMSF maybe, but both have a quite different focus.

If you are interested in the simulation of modern armored warfare then I think Pro PE is your only choice. This sim is a bit rough around the edges, but a very solid product.

If you are interested in this kind of stuff, its well worth the money. SB2 is most likely never going to happen IMO. Since that is supposed to be a game for a wider community but I'm afraid that by the time it could be started being developed expectations would be already so high that this SIM just couldn't cope with.(both graphic + gameplay wise)

The simulation in this one is so good that it will make you quickly forget about the poor level of graphics. So all-in-all I suggest you order it today ;) you won' regret it believe me!

I agree with daskal allthought the grafics arent as poor as daskal says (i dont think he meant it that way) What he means with poor grafics is for example lack of shadows and 3-d modeled suspensions for the wheels and other stuff that would be expected in todays game grafics. Other then that i agree that this is the only (And a good one) option

Poor graphics:

The viewing ranges are impressive, and the modelling of the terrain is superior to many other sims/games.

Compared to modern fx-heavy graphic engines, SBP's graphics are inferior. Taken for themselves and comparing them to the purpose they should serve, they are actually very good and superior to many other titles on my mind.

So it depends on the standard to which you compare. ;) However, functionality is where SBP is shining. And it shines bright! Some sparks here and some shadows there should not hold you back.

Just know what you are getting. If what you get is what you want, you will wonder why you haven't got it earlier. Don't approach this from a usual gamer's perspective taking UBIsoft and Atari titles as the standard to which to compare. A complete, round, candy- and fx-heavy package is what you get NOT.

But being myself more gamer than simmer comparing sim with reality, I can assure you that even if taking it as a game you will have plenty of fun and immersion with it nevertheless! ;)

For years.

I agree with daskal allthought the grafics arent as poor as daskal says (i dont think he meant it that way)

No in fact I really meant it that way - and its really not meant to be a complaint of some sort. I love this sim just the way it is. But let just face it the graphics are really poor. Not to mention the sprite infantry - even Doom's 2D sprite monsters looked more convincing back in 1993.

BUT!

One must not forget that this software is oriented on military users in the first place, and they would probably be satisfied with even worse graphics - so lets just be glad about what we have right now. and don't forget this software isn't about graphics in the first place - its about simulation - and in this respect you won't be disappointed!

Imo SB Pro still looks great. Considering that it's still the only worthy title in the contemporary tank sim genre.

It's not that difficult to create a beautiful game take SH3 for example it's been around for quite some time and imo SHIV is not as beautiful as its predecessor.

If Medieval 2 didn't come out I would still think Rome Total War as an astonishingly beautiful game :). In that respect imo SB is one of those game which can only be beaten in graphics and scope by its own developer eSim. It would be uneconomical for other developers to try to build something as close as SB Pro PE, one of the reason among others is the niche market for tank sim community.

• Members

We could make it look better if we abandoned much of the other development. Ultimately we would however enter a rat race with other developers that have more resources in a pretty lopsided competition. Our design philosophy in all the years has been that the graphics must not look so horrible that they are driving away people, and that the rendering must fulfil our functional requirements. The main attraction however comes from good gameplay and a reasonable degree of fidelity of simulation results.