Danish tanks to Afghanistan?

112TYR

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 4 tanks?

Yeah only 4 tanks. Denmark only have 56 leo2's, where before we had 231 leo1's. we could afford a squadron in bosnia and kosovo.

So its a platoon + 1 reserve, and 1 bergerpanzer. I think

But I'm sure that the 4 leo2's will provide sufficient support for our own troops when the danish contigent get their own AOR.

It's better than nothing! :)

Yeah only 4 tanks. Denmark only have 56 leo2's, where before we had 231 leo1's. we could afford a squadron in bosnia and kosovo.

But I'm sure that the 4 leo2's will provide sufficient support for our own troops when the danish contigent get their own AOR.

Agreed, much betther then nothing, but i was hoping for a Coy +reserves and then you would roll over the talibans :)

I can just say "Give them hell" with the Leo2A5DK ! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of Scandinavian armour in Afghanistan - The CV90 saw it's first action ever this weekend in N-E Afghanistan (Norwegian QRF). For the moment i have no more information then that "It was successful".

Unfortunately, also this weekend, a Norwegian soldier was killed, and another one was severely wounded, when their Landcruiser hit an IED/Mine.

Reference the IED, any idea how large it was and if there are any photos of the damage?

If it's the IED against the norwegian car you're referring to, this photo shows the aftermath:

krisbil858_1194808388.jpg

Reports in the press first indicated that it was "detonated by a pressure plate"(sounds like a mine to me), and later suggested that it was an AT-mine.

The other guy survived thanks to a german surgeon....

• 2 months later...

It's good to see European nations making commitments like this,it may be only 4 tanks,but it is what it says that counts.

I was going to get political then,but I slapped my wrist and deleted!.I would be interested to see how the Leo performs under active service,ie how will it perform against RPG's,they have knocked out M1's so now it could be the leo's turn.

Reports in the press first indicated that it was "detonated by a pressure plate"(sounds like a mine to me),

Pressure plate IED is constructed by two metal frames, working as a circuit breaker, there has been some findings of these both in the south and the north.

Pressure plate IED is constructed by two metal frames, working as a circuit breaker, there has been some findings of these both in the south and the north.

I'm aware of that. I haven't heard anything specific, but most reports here in Norway is still referring to this as an AT-mine. I have so far heard nothing about this being an PPIED/RC-PPIED

I talked to a SO in the norweigan QRF at Marmal last week, he said something about the incident but i dont remember what they thought it was. I know the germans had encounter some mines and IED improved mines. It seems like the BM-1 trend is swifting towards mines.

• 6 months later...

According to news on http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt+og+Presse/ISAF/Dansk+soldat+dr%C3%A6bt+og+tre+med+mindre+skader+i+Afghanistan.htm

A danish leo2A5 early this morning was hit by a IED or mine, when they driving out to support some ANA and ISAF advisors, they came under fire and made maneuvers to get into positions, when one of the leopards was hit. according to the news 1 dead and the rest of the crew wounded.

It sounds like a very coordinated attack on the leos.

But sad news indeed.

Update:

Apparently two leos was hit by AT-mine or IEDs. One leo suffered hard while the other had minor damages.

Edited by W@NKER