M1A1 50 Cal

lerxster

• Members
What makes me wonder in real life is the commander able to crack the .50 up and down from and fire it from a a fully unbuttended position?

In the M1A1, which is modelled in Steel Beasts, you can't fire the cal .50 from the unbuttoned position. John Wayne would only have fun with the M1A2. In the M1A1 the heavy machine gun is operated from the buttoned-up position through the commander's weapon station - with hand crank for elevation and powered traverse.

You have to keep on pressing them multiple times - this simulates cranking it manually. If you just hold down the arrow key buttons nothing is going to happen.

That's the one! Thanks Daskal and all. I should really RTFM I suppose... :biggrin:

What makes me wonder in real life is the commander able to crack the .50 up and down from and fire it from a a fully unbuttended posistion?

Yes. It does require you to be part contortionist and have mastered the "pat-your-head-and-rub-your-tummy" manuever!:biggrin:

What makes me wonder in real life is the commander able to crack the .50 up and down from and fire it from a a fully unbuttended posistion?

You can easily traverse it. It operates on an electric handswitch that can be removed and operated from the unbuttoned position. But forget about aiming or elevation.

• Moderators

You may as well dismount it, lay it on top of a duffel bag on top of the turret and fire it that way too. But there is a line between modeling something physically possible and modeling something that is practical.

BTW, that forward sight is designed to be used with your head poking out of the hatch while looking in the forward vision block. You would still be able to operate it fully if you wanted to use that sight but you probably would not hit anything.