M88 incident report

ChanceBS

I dont see this as a bug, but wanted to share it.

While towing a Leo2A5DK that lost its tracks, the M88 was routed to the rear. It towed the Leo into the forest and the below pics show how a M88 can kill a tank. The M88 went around a tree but the Leo was towed into it resulting in the tree winning the engagement. Pretty strong tow cables. OOps.

The destroyed Leo continued to be towed to the rear. (As destroyed), the M88 unhitched and left the area hoping the CO didnt here about it.

So new tactic.

Sneak up on a T-80, hitch it up, tow it into a tree. Good luck with that.

1-8.jpg

2-8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have made mission where there is a repair area set up to repair tracks. Once the de tracked tank arrives the repair area can get the track replaced quicker.

Question: If a Maint crew was set up to change tracks out with equipment to do the job, How quickly can this realistically be done?

Question: How fast can a m88 tow a tank without it up ending? And wouldn't the tow cables break if the towed tank did get fetched up on a tree, rock, or whatever

Greetings all,

Ref the "set area" to change tracks.

If the tracks were just hauled off and replaced with new and the "track replacement team" and their "multipule Trucks loaded with complete FULL tracks" could keep up with the advance, (only able to hold one set [both sides] of tracks per truck) and there was flat level ground to do this "roll on" of the new tracks. The team could set up the roll on tracks as the disabled vehicle was on the way to there location.

Now that's not taking into account if there has been any damage to the road wheels or shocks during the transport to the new tracks. And just what caused the track or tracks to become damaged in the first place.

If you rolled off a set of tracks and rolled on the new ones without any problems, break the connecting pins and pull out the top side of the tracks then drage the vehicle off those tracks and roll onto the new set, each side should take about 30mins or less. (all the parts and manpower availiable.)

If your just stopping to replace a broken pin or connector and you have another vehicle to drag the track back to your vehicle (you brake the track it stays where it was last laied down! you keep rolling!) that will take sometimes longer, 40mins to an hour or longer. (again everyone helping and all your track kit parts availiable)

Ok back to the question, it would not be combat feasiable or cost efficient to "deploy" a track replacement echelon to do just that task.

Track maintience is normally the vehicle crews responsibility, that's why they carry short sections of replacement track on and around the tank. Each vehicle has all the tools (in their track kit) to replace sections of their own track. If your left alone to "put it back on" and you were able to stop close to the damaged track then you'd hook the tow cable on the track the use the sproket to "pull" it back into place, again taking about 30 to 40mins or longer as "someone has to watch for the Enemy" and can't help with the work.

Last question; normally the "cables" are only used to move the disabled vehicle to a hard surface at which time the M88 should exchange the cables for a "Towing Y Bar" which places the towed vehicle at about 6 feet from the M88. If you can get a tree between you and the towed vehicle your a better driver than me! (the towing cable are normally only used to "extract" the vehicle then the "hard" hitch is attached.)

Use what you need ..... hope some of that helps ..... 9erRed

• 2 years later...

Im bumping this Old thread again becuase I had the same issue tonight in a MP (and its happen before in MP)

The M1 I was towing got destroyed and my M88 badly damaged. just by towing.

the thing seems to be lagg related, get some lag, the tanks are to close and suddenly they are ontop of eachother and bang they are destroye/badle damaged.

Any fix on this soon?

/KT

I played a few missions tonight in which a M88 was used to tow a tank.

I noticed that sometimes the tank would be forced into the ground, in turn raising the rear deck of the tank high in the air and then quickly released. Could the drag levels of the terrain possibly have an effect ? I have seen tanks get snagged on trees and then slinged at high speeds, destroying tanks.

Retro and Ssnake: that Isn't a solution.

Ofcourse we already rewoke the life/damage of the M88 and M1 to the condition they where before the incidient.

Problem is that sometimes I need to tow stuff out of harms way AND get them back in fighting condition in same scenario. If I can tow 2 M1s out of a minefield, repair them and have them back in 30mikes that can do the whole world for the scenarios (and the campaigns) outcome while we are still playing.

Me and zip did a MP session just testing towing and there was no problem whatsoever (but then it was just us to, so no lagg) so it must be lagg-related.

But It also has to get fixed somehow, or the M88 is just bloody useless in MP.

ah... now I follow you! I thought I was supposed to ignore the damage. Sorry about that.

What you are saying is that when something is towed damage due to collision will be turned of. so they can still me KO by SABOT, Mines etc but collision damage will be turned of.

now that would work for me.

Its just me being a bit more retarded then usual, sorry about that! :cul:

• 1 year later...

Ok lets bump an old thread.

The problem is back, played a scenario with 911 a few hours ago and at at least 2 different times a CR2 hit the air flying like hell.

In another scenario a few weeks ago I caused more damage on the CR2 that I towed due to lag.

This has only been happening with the CR2, I have towed other vehicles without any additional damages.