Friday night game info for the new players

Mogwa

Why don't you just look at the link I put in Post #91 and look for a town near you - That's why its there.

Thanks. I actually did have a look at that, but it gives a time conflicting with that appearing in the countdown timer on the http://www.steelbeasts.com/Online_Play page. The latter says that the game begins at 11 PM my time, whereas the former says (apparently correctly, as I have learned) 10 PM my time.

It looks like it's moot, because the port-forwarding is not going well.:Crash:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You two on your way?

Sorry, I couldn't get my ports forwarded correctly. I'll have to regroup and try again for next week, although I suspect this is going to require a visit from my ISP techs. I did eavesdrop for a portion of the Blue pregame briefing just to get a sense of the experience. Sounded like a US NTC/Fort Irwin mission.

• 1 year later...

Based on experiences from the last few weeks, here are just a couple thoughts to keep in mind for some of the newer guys.

1. If your really drunk, maybe you shouldn't play that nights scenario. if your out of control, you can expect to be locked out of TS and kicked for the night.

2. Try to be on time. The general rule of thumb is we will go back once, if need be, to pick up people who dropped. Now with the nominal ability to let people join in progress, if things arent too far behind schedule, we will let stragglers and people who dropped join. This may not always be the case, so be on time.

That having been said here is how it works. We cannot/will not go back for you during the planning phase. Period. Once the planning phase is over, we will start the scenario, then immediately pause it and allow stragglers and those who dropped to join. DO NOT interrupt planning with demands for everyone to stop everything to let you join. This will result in your being kicked and locked out of the teamspeak channel and we will not go back for you. If you're told courteously to stand by for a few minutes, I suggest you do just that. You were late, not everyone else. Again, if rule 1 above applies, maybe you should try next week.

3. Know who your talking to. Smarting off to the host or CO, etc,isn't a terrific idea. Also, avoid giving unsolicited advice on how to do things in SB or vehicle key commands, etc, to someone who has been playing since the turn of the century, if you have only been playing a few hours/days/weeks/months. Just sayin ...

4. As always, it is considered bad form to get all your vehicles killed, stuck, or mired and then leaving the session. This also applies when defeat is imminent.

5. Understand how map icons work. If you are the number 5 tank in a platoon, you will not control the map icon until you break away from the platoon. The map icon will center on the number 1 tank. Along similar lines, know how to get your own tank to stop and start movement, from the map view, from the interior view, and from the F8 view.

Edited by Mogwa
flying squirrel attack

Based on experiences from the last few weeks, here are just a couple thoughts to keep in mind for some of the newer guys.

4. As always, it is considered bad form to get all your vehicles killed, stuck, or mired and then leaving the session. This also applies when defeat is imminent.

As someone that Co's often #4 aggravates Me. I have no faith in someone that leaves out of frustration. I will make note of those that do it and give them less stressful tasks.

Apparently there are a few more items we need to (re)cover to help ensure a smooth Fri night for everyone.

1) If you drop, the host knows it. You do not need to goto the hosts teamspeak channel announce you have dropped, and then return every 30 seconds or so to remind the host to let you know when to rejoin. If the host goes back for you, you will get the word. Trust us. The people doing this have been doing it for years. They know what to do.

1a) Also, dont go into another teams channel and start speaking while other people are already speaking. It just causes a huge "hot mic".

And finally, if you just have to alt tab during a game, use windowed mode. It helps prevent getting you dropped. If you are alt tabbing and get dropped, you can expect that the sce wont be paused so that you can rejoin.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

this is my first post on this forum, be gentle as English is my second language. As you publicly declared your tolerance of the "noobs" which is a rarity in today's internet MP gaming :) I am really enticed by trying and playing TGIF with you at Saturdays 4.00 (3.30 really) AM battles (from Europe), especially enticed by watching Rotars youtube videos. I noticed that the video he post's are in beta version, is this a required version to join or others can join with official 3.011 version? And how can I prepare if I want to join you ?

best regards

Ales "Dr.Jones" Mrak

Ales,

Welcome to the forum!

3.019 has been the quasi official version for TGIF and other multi-play events for some few weeks now.

It makes joining networked games easier for those who aren't technically proficient and it has some performance improvements (being 64Bit).

Also running it helps with the testing. :)

The issues you will encounter are:

1. Everybody in a given mission needs to run the same version (you can't mix 3.011 and 3.019).

and probably more importantly from your POV

2. They have pretty much handed out all the 3.019 licenses they had budgeted for.

Details on the second point here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?p=261772#post261772

Sounds like there will be another one coming (3.0whatever) in September though so I guess when it announced don't hang around but grab it. :)

Ssnake's post towards the end of the thread above may give you an opening if he has one or two left tucked up his sleeve.

Thanks for the info, guess I will have to wait and stalk the forums through september :c:. So I guess the next version could be x64 bit then.

best regards

Ales Mrak

Well you could email Ssnake and ask?

Yes I'd say 64Bit will be the standard going forward (but IMHO, I'm not a developer).

• 1 year later...

Most who have played for a while observe this but for the new guys / recent returning people just a reminder.

If you want to occupy a position in someone else's tank (Commander, Gunner, or Driver), you need to ASK the person who owns it FIRST.

They may have set routes, etc. for it and are off managing something else.

Most people wont object when you ask, but its not a free for all where you just take over units assigned to others on your whim.

• 2 years later...

Very accommodating, Mogwa. I've made sense of how to function with TeamSpeak in any case and connected quickly twice the previous evening, for testing. Be that as it may, the entire novices (I'm a semi-amateur) should locate this helpful. They will, anyway need to hustle, contingent upon what time zone they're in, to make today around evening time's amusement.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...