SteelBeasts PRO PE - first impressions

desertowl

As an owner of this SIM for about a week, I find it important to summarize the first impressions I have from this SIM.

all of what is said here is my opinion only, and meant only to be taken as constructive criticism for the developers and to initiate a debate with the community of this SIM.

I view this SIM from the eyes of a field officer (CPT. Res.), though not a tanker, but one who had worked with and saw enough of them in action. I also have quite an extensive experience with ATGM's. in addition to that I worked as a controller at the IDF's NTC (while being a student at the university), so I'm familiar with combat simulations, C&C systems and tactics.

I'll start off by saying that the SIM has a very professional feel to it, and that the briefing and AAR looks familiar to anyone who ever worked with C&C systems before.

The preparations stage encourages the student to explore the map, analyze the field from defender's and attacker's eyes, and contributes to development of topographic understanding and tactical considerations affected by the terrain.

As points of improvement (mainly for the AAR) I would suggest picture in picture mode (viewing the map and the 3d world at the same screen) , deeper analysis of gunnery events (a feature that is included in the PRO version, and I think that it can be educational in the PE version as well) and sighting events made by the enemy of your units (enemy optics view of your tanks whenever they engaged you) a feature, that IMO, will improve correct battle position understanding.

The simulation itself, in the 3d world, does a great job concerning tanks and IFV's , but I find the infantry, ATGM's and MOUT simulation insufficient.

Considering the fact that most conflicts in the world today involve these elements, at exponentially rising proportions and that SteelBeasts is a "simulation of contemporary armored and mechanized combat" , IMO these are the areas that requires the developers attention (some of those aspects can be fixed with minor adjustments, others will take up more resources).

I intend to write a few infantry ATGM oriented missions (when I'll manage to master the mission editor) to get more in depth insights of the possibilities of this SIM in that area.

Another highlight of the simulation is the effect of cultural and natural objects on the field of battle.

In Israel, for example, heavily forested areas are uncommon, so it was enjoyable exploring such a terrain and the considerations I had to take as a result.

While playing this SIM few tactical questions came to my mind and it is interesting to see if they are reflected in reality as well - for example, as a LEO2A5 TC, in ATGM infested environment, I will prefer working in the "eye view" position and not at the TIM, but being unable to override will cause me a lot of troubles.

another question is (irrelevant of this post) why did the developers of the LEO didn't make the TIM dual mode (Thermal/CCD)? does the most advanced LEO's have them?

I didn't get to play online yet (Friday's assembly in USA time is simply unfair! :) ), which is a very important aspect of the SIM, so i don't have much to say here.

all in all , I find it a great SIM , very immersible and fun to play with and a great community to support and enhance the experience.

Thanks for reading this far, and I would be happy to hear what you think of what I wrote and hear your opinions as well.

Moshe.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. :)

another question is (irrelevant of this post) why did the developers of the LEO didn't make the TIM dual mode (Thermal/CCD)? does the most advanced LEO's have them?

Use the eye sight to the left of the TIM (F3), it's the optical channel. You can also get a b/w video image of the gunner's day sight if you push the "Video" button and then select the daysight (Num+).

I didn't get to play online yet (Friday's assembly in USA time is simply unfair! :) ), which is a very important aspect of the SIM, so i don't have much to say here.

If you don't mind GMT or CET times for the games try to join in there.

Possible partners may be:

"SB Generals"..."Vikings" ...or of course "PzBtl 911" 8-)

Lost of experinced gamers as well as active and reserve military. The "generals" have mostly english speakers. I guess most member of the vikings can speak english too, and even we at 911 have a good hand of english speakers.

Hope to see you online some time

Greetings

Michael (Cpt. /german army res)