Modded stock voice sounds - ok to upload?

Amaroq

Hi all

I never liked the 'vibe' of the stock radio messages (the rv* ones), especially since reception was way too good, hardly any distortion etc. Maybe others forces have better radios than I ever had but it never felt right to me.

Plain old distortion wasn't doing it, as it just clips and mushes things up, not what I wanted and not close to the actual sound either. After some experimenting I ran them through a multiband distortion (batch processed in Wavosaur), which distorts seperately by frequency bands and thus allows you to tweak overall clarity at higher distortion levels. To my ears at least they are much more realistic now. Gnarlier sounding and odly the guy (too bad it's the same one for all) even seems more 'pumped' than in the originals. It took me right back, at least, and outboard messages are more discernable from the intercom messages this way too.

Anyway, I'd like to upload them for anybody interested but since they're proprietary eSim content I thought I'd ask if there's an official policy against that.

//Edit

They're here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/256/p13_fileid/2333

Let me know what you think. :)

Edited by Amaroq

• Moderators
As long as we're getting realistic with the radio noises...

Here is a realistic 'beep' to replace the static for an incoming transmission

Hah, well no. "Realistic" is relative to what time period you are talking about. The current "static.wav" in the game is a recording of the SINCGARS radio squelch from the radios we used in the 1990s. I guess I am showing my age though, apparently they sound different now...

Hah, well no. "Realistic" is relative to what time period you are talking about. The current "static.wav" in the game is a recording of the SINCGARS radio squelch from the radios we used in the 1990s. I guess I am showing my age though, apparently they sound different now...

The one I posted is from a SINCGARs with a crypto fill. The SINCGARs is the same radio it was in the 90's.

Radio's make a different sound when they have a crypto fill, versus single channel plain text.

• Moderators
The one I posted is from a SINCGARs with a crypto fill. The SINCGARs is the same radio it was in the 90's.

Radio's make a different sound when they have a crypto fill, versus single channel plain text.

Yes, I am quite aware of fills, plain text and cypher text, frequency hopping and so on. I did quite my share of putting fills into SINCGARS with ANCDs from 1996 to 2006.

But the point is, that is not how you put the original post. Maybe the radios in the game don't have fills? Lord knows we *rarely* used fills in the 1990s, this was a relatively new thing back then - so why wouldn't the sound be realistic in that regard? (rhetorical questions) Just sayin' - much more than I originally planned on saying too. Oh well, who cares.

Your mod is welcome BTW, nice job and thanks for posting it.

Looks promising. Is this already available somewhere? I could not find it within the downloads yet.

Sorry yeah, when I came back to them I felt I had maybe gone a little overboard on the distortion. As soon as I've toned them down a bit I'll submit them. I don't have any exposure to radio gear anymore so I'm going from (fading) memory.

What I really miss is the occasional random white noise or the turret chit-chat from those morons that push the wrong button. :D

//Edit

Here's what it's like right now:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69859616/Example_1_1_at_ChkPt.wav

I feel it's maybe 20% too much, no?

Sorry yeah, when I came back to them I felt I had maybe gone a little overboard on the distortion. As soon as I've toned them down a bit I'll submit them. I don't have any exposure to radio gear anymore so I'm going from (fading) memory.

What I really miss is the occasional random white noise or the turret chit-chat from those morons that push the wrong button. :D

//Edit

Here's what it's like right now:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69859616/Example_1_1_at_ChkPt.wav

I feel it's maybe 20% too much, no?

Sounds like something out of CoD MW !!

(Needs a burst of noise/squeak/beep for transmission end.)

• Moderators
Interesting. The one used in steelbeasts now is from a single channel w/o crypto fill, and the one in the mod Amarog is proposing is SC w/ crypto fill? Seems promising.

No, the voices Amarog are proposing are the original voices with more distortion added because he wanted to better differentiate his intercom voices with radio voices. The static/squelch sound that Apocalypse created is the radio squelch with cypher text fill. ;)

• Members

We UU-encoded a nude Jessica Alba picture and used that as the basis for the squelch sound. If you play the proper radio messages in the right order, remove the voice, and then play the squelch sound in reverse order to a modem with suitable BBS software you may be able to decode it.

I have downloaded your sound mods. They are well done. Not sure wich to choose though. But going to use them. Thank you for sharing. :drink:

Thanks man! Same here, hehe. I think I settled for the mid-level distortion.

I think they may need to be made a bit brighter though. The SBpro sound engine seems to make them sound darker in-game...? I'll let them sit for a while though and see how I feel in a bit.

Thx for sharing.... I have tried all three and put them into the below folder, but not hearing a change... must just be user error since everyone else has it working.

C:\Users\Magnum\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\sounds\voices\English (US)

a video at the tank range with the high distortion activated.... maybe I'm just getting old and not hearing the change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyE4xJV6C6I&hd=1

Thx for sharing.... I have tried all three and put them into the below folder, but not hearing a change... must just be user error since everyone else has it working.

C:\Users\Magnum\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\sounds\voices\English (US)

a video at the tank range with the high distortion activated.... maybe I'm just getting old and not hearing the change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyE4xJV6C6I&hd=1

Did you copy the content of one of the folders or just copy the folders?

You need to copy the content of one of the folders.