Russian Mig 29 shoots down Georgian UAV

Ghost

I don't think the Georgians are playing fair, like their most infamous countryman, Iosif Vissarionavich Dhugashvilli, better known as Stalin. If you look very carefully at the clip, you can see 2 things wrong with it:

• MiG-29s don't have wingtip pylons. Sure, they have 2 or 4 pylons close to the wingtip, but none on the wingtips. Yet the missile is launched from the wingtip.
  • You can clearly see the MiG-29 as it approaches, and its pylons appear to be empty.

Also, the fighter looks underexposed compared to the rest of the clip, so I'm thinking that Georgia faked the clip and the radar records for the purpose of saving its disintegrating territorial integrity.

I don't think the Georgians are playing fair, like their most infamous countryman, Iosif Vissarionavich Dhugashvilli, better known as Stalin. If you look very carefully at the clip, you can see 2 things wrong with it:
  1. MiG-29s don't have wingtip pylons. Sure, they have 2 or 4 pylons close to the wingtip, but none on the wingtips. Yet the missile is launched from the wingtip.
  2. You can clearly see the MiG-29 as it approaches, and its pylons appear to be empty.

Also, the fighter looks underexposed compared to the rest of the clip, so I'm thinking that Georgia faked the clip and the radar records for the purpose of saving its disintegrating territorial integrity.

1. How the hell can you tell the missile is launched from the wingtip, because it sure as hell ain't from looking at that video unless you had a pair of eyes transplanted from a Bald Eagle. All you can see is a smoke trail which is about the same width as the entire wing of the aircraft.

mig-29.jpg

2. Once again, explain to me how you can tell that from watching a low resolution clip about the size of a chipped tooth?

I don't think the Georgians are playing fair, like their most infamous countryman, Iosif Vissarionavich Dhugashvilli, better known as Stalin.
It's nice too see you discovered the fabulous tool called Wikipedia so you can enlighten us with your knowledge, All though i fail to see where he fits in in this particular case.

Anyway, even if the missile came from a wintip rail that would only make it a misidentification of an Su27.... So who cares.

EDIT:

Heres a link to a clip with somewhat higher resolution and you can run it in fullscreen, the image is still not good enough to distinguish any more detailed features on the aircraft http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7359514.stm

Posted by Ghost

Anyway, even if the missile came from a wintip rail that would only make it a misidentification of an Su27....

There are 3 reasons why the plane cannot be a Su-27:

• No extended tail nacalle between the engines
  • The tail fins are tilted slightly away from each other, inconsistent with Su-27 but one of the identifying marks of a MiG-29
  • Also, the tail fins are too far apart for a Su-27, but just right for a MiG-29

As for the Stalin reference, I thought his double-crossing reputation was a good background to my opinion of this controversy.

Posted by Ghost

2. Once again, explain to me how you can tell that from watching a low resolution clip about the size of a chipped tooth?

My eyes are quite good at picking up detail. And by the way, thanks for the link to the higher resolution and full screen available clip.:) It made this post possible.

F-15??

It looks to me like it was launched from an outboard underwing pylon.

You can't see an ATA missile at that range anyway, the only thing that gives it away is the smoke, the dot at the head of the trail and the "Master Caution" at the end...

Theres always one thats a conspiracy nut....

Given its position on the wing, it must have been a relatively small AA-11 missile, and I don't think a AA-11 missile with a range of 30 km is going to create a mighty plume of fire and smoke like we see in the clip. And I don't think the outboard missile pylons are that far outboard (For reference, look at this). Just use the link Ghost posted, go to full screen, and pause just as the missile begins firing. You'll see what I mean.

Here are some unedited (cropped the black box around them for size) screen caps made from that footage, just to proof how absurd your comments are... there just isn't enough information in a digital image of this low quality to actually be able to state what you are stating, although image 8 is pretty interesting, as it appears to show the missile being fired not from the wing tip but from one of the outer pylons.

Sorry for the size of the images

Mig1.jpg

Mig2.jpg

Mig3.jpg

Mig4.jpg

I've now come to that conclusion as well. I'm an aviation enthusiast, so I knew the profile of a MiG-29, and was able to check the profile of a Su-27 almost as an afterthought. Got a link to a shot of an AA-11 "Archer" missile launch we can cross-reference, as the final nail in the coffin of my not-quite-bright conspiracy theory?

Actually, that does look like an under wing hard point. You can actually see the end of the wing with that blown up like that. The distance between the mid line of the fuselage and the wing tip when comparing photos 7 and 8 also seems to indicate it too (the distance is 5.5 tenths of an inch in both photos, this making it so the missile is launched from under the wing, rather than the tip). Though everything still looks like gnats testicles...

After studying the footage and conducting some research on the subject of the Russian and Georgian air forces and the weapons they employ, I can state with 100% certainty, that the missile was fired from an aircraft. :Pilot:

I concur.:c::wink: