Salisbury Plain 1.1

Stuart666

Ive just posted the lastest version of the SPTA up in the download area, which (I hope!) has significant improvements over the previous version. Ive put in more of the permament tactical routes (and I could do with advice which ones ought to be permament and which gravel). Ive also filled in the terrain around Amesbury, and at least made a start putting in Battlebury barracks at Warminster (Harman lines is also nearly done). Be sure to download the 1.1 version, for some reason I wasnt able to take down the old version. Hate mail to the same address please.:)

Nice one Stu, of course I cant look at it until I get back to work on the 4th where I left my copy of SB :(

If you need any photos of the areas I could probably get some for you being an inhabitant of the area (well North a touch).

Meanwhile happy New Year

I feel your pain mate, rest assured its not going anywhere.:) I cant recall, was it you who asked if Devizes was ever going to be on there? Because although I said at the time It would never fit, looking carefully at the height map Im pretty sure I can see the imprint of the place on it. Course it would probably take a couple of years to get that far, but Im open to bribery. :)

Froggy, the height map data is Shuttle radar mission data. Im told its only 90metre post data, but looking at it, it certainly appears to be more accurate than that. The grid is US military, and unfortunately I DONT have maps of that. So what I am doing is using British ordnance survey maps (and some British Military maps I got from a helpful TA chap) and Im manually painting it over the imported data thats already in there. For example, looking at the data already on there, you can clearly see the runways of an airfield marked out in dirt. You can also clearly see roads and railway lines, and also markings of towns. Its all hard to spot, but after a while it gets a bit easier, though I would be first to admit it would be very helpful to have a us map of the area, or even better have the grid in ordnance survey! As it is, Im a bit surprised its proved as accurate as it has. In some cases ive driven by the place and actually recognised it. Certainly its accurate enough to find ones way around the place using real maps, which I guess would be good enough for training.

So no, its not a CATT map. Its a bit of a hybrid (including info gleaned from Google earth and Getmapping) I would understand CATT would be the simulator used by the British army at Warminster?

Thank you also Jester. Ill try and get some photos of comparison up on SIMHQ forum soon. Suffice to say the similarity in some locations has me a bit surprised.

Very nice map!!

Any chance in your next update you can add town names and major route numbers?

Its certainly part of the plan. Im uncertain to be honest whats the best way to do it. If I do a JPG dump of the map, as I add stuff in Ill continually have to redo it. However, if I make a scenario, not only can I add town names but I can also put in some of the Military exclusion areas (eg, Tanks are unsurprisingly not allowed to park around Stonehenge). What do you think?

Many thanks Koen.

This brings up a new tactical issue.

If a large herd of sheep are blocking the advance of your tank company, must you stop for them or run them over?

If you stop for them, will the enemy rain hail fire down on your position, or will they also respect the sheeps right of way?

:confused:

This brings up a new tactical issue.

If a large herd of sheep are blocking the advance of your tank company, must you stop for them or run them over?

If you stop for them, will the enemy rain hail fire down on your position, or will they also respect the sheeps right of way?

:confused:

Or indeed how could you ensure that one of them isnt an F/O in sheeps clothing? :)

Its too bad nobody has yet used the stonehenge area of the map yet for making scenarios. I was looking forward to seeing how neolithic historic artifacts could impact on tactical decisions. :)

Ill have a go at Esim about that. We also require a model for empty crisp packets and sheep. :)

My god they've got empty sheep there now !!!!!!!!

seriously , thanks for posting the comparision pictures, I've only been able to compare to the O/S map so far, and I've been very impressed by that, but your pictures bring it to life that bit more,

Thanks guys. Here is a couple more a mile or so to the east of imber. couple more of copehill down tomorrow. There are also a couple of areas near warminster that if I ever get finished, look to be quite surprisingly accurate. I really must ask to see if we can get double track railway lines put in though.

Imber itself clearly still needs work. The trees are a bit too thick and the buildings itself are a bit too big. Ill try and post some photos of the place up and you can make up your own minds. Its fairly accurately laid out (thank God for getmapping), but hopefully if we ever get a ditching tool, it will make it easier to modify flaws in the height map to make it all more accurate. At the moment however, im getting severe restrictions on my time, and its not certain how much long im going to find time to add to it.

Imber2.jpg.94fbf210d8601869b557401f0d12a

imber3.jpg.00d4c39a6bddcce80011608e6c839

Imber2.jpg.94fbf210d8601869b557401f0d12a

imber3.jpg.00d4c39a6bddcce80011608e6c839

• 5 months later...

Probably the best guy to ask about it is Sean. If he cant do it himself, he can probably point you in the direction of somebody who can. My advice, pick a small map to begin with or you will lose heart. Also make it a place you have good maps of, and preferably good google earth imagery.

Here is one for now. No comparison at the moment (unless I hire a Lynx) but I can put a comparison up tomorrow of Copehill down.

56e83c60e18cc_SBProPEcm2007-06-1618-40-0

56e83c60e18cc_SBProPEcm2007-06-1618-40-0