Getting into Steel Beasts: The essentials?

Agiel

The M1A1 HA certainly has the capacity to amaze even after all these years, in particular, the ballistics computer. I've been constantly drilling myself on the tank range to get the coveted 100 out of 100 gunnery score (seems like it can come down to luck, like getting 10 targets in a row under 1500 meters with sabot loaded). There have been times where my tracking was by my untrained eye relatively sloppy, the lase had multiple returns, and I had the slower HEAT round loaded and I thought to myself "There's no way this is going to hit" before announcing "On the way!" Then you hear those glorious words from the TC "Target! Cease fire!"

Right now, my biggest problem is building great situational awareness. I have yet to complete the "Multiple Units" tutorial, which I suppose would be my "graduation" since I inevitably get a 125mm tungsten dart to my Abrams' broadside (it makes me recall a line from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry when he said air-to-air combat isn't chivalrous, knightly fighting so much as it is murder in that most times you get a kill because the other guy never knew you were there). I can definitely see how the Leopard 2 series has the up on the M1A1 in the SA department since you have two sets of eyes scanning for targets (even if one doesn't have a thermal sight) to basically the Abrams' one.

While we're on the essentials, anyone got recommendations for a good headset? Once I am proficient enough as a TC and gunner, I'd love to get involved in multiplayer. I have heard of some guys adapting CVCs. Aside from increasing immersion, is there an advantage to doing this?

Not really unless you want to:

1. Buy one.

2. Muck around with the wirirng.

3. get a sore neck wearing it for X hours.

Up to you though. :)

I use a Trutle Beach wireless one which works fine except is has some power saving feature so if you aren't saying/hearing anything, it switches off.

To get around that, esp. while waiting for the game to start I just use the "test" options in TS every few minutes and that generates enough traffic to keep the headset on.

Agiel, I see what you mean about SA. Right now, I'm probably doing the foolish thing in that I am riding out of the TC's hatch. Good way to get myself killed if I'm not careful. But buttoned up as the TC, I feel very limited.

I only have two minor complaints thus far. The first is kind of a stupid one. The gunner takes a LOT of initiative. That's totally okay right now. I'm still trying to memorize the key commands, so if he wants to blast away at targets of his choosing while I try to remember which button does what, fine by me.

The second is that AI pathfinding leaves a little to be desired. Granted, it's a HECK of a lot better than vehicle pathfinding in ArmA2, but twice now in two separate scenarios I have lost -3 to a bog.

So far, I'm loving every second of it. Can't wait to kill my first non-tutorial target!

Gibson, thanks for the suggestion. After looking at the wiring on the plug end of a CVC, I have no clue how they adapt it easily. They do not look easy to adapt. The same cannot be said for flight helmets, where for $15 you can buy an adapter jack so long as your comms are USAF G/A plug or an older U-174 and not the 3-prong system used by USN/USMC.

I will look into that headset next time I am in Fry's.

I only have two minor complaints thus far. The first is kind of a stupid one. The gunner takes a LOT of initiative. That's totally okay right now. I'm still trying to memorize the key commands, so if he wants to blast away at targets of his choosing while I try to remember which button does what, fine by me.

Well one of those buttons to learn is "H" for hold fire.

That will stop him. :)

Also instead of memorising, may I suggest you print this off:

keyboardChartV.pdf

Located here (your path may well vary):

C:\Games\SB Pro PE 2.654\docs\PDF for print

Tried out the Challenger 2 instant action and oooohhh man... I knew the Challenger was tough, but I wasn't expecting it to last as long as I did in that thing. In my first foray, I survived twice as long as my best with the M1A1 HA and probably took at least 3 times the amount of hits (until the end the only real significant damage was to the thermal optics).

Tried out the Challenger 2 instant action and oooohhh man... I knew the Challenger was tough, but I wasn't expecting it to last as long as I did in that thing. In my first foray, I survived twice as long as my best with the M1A1 HA and probably took at least 3 times the amount of hits (until the end the only real significant damage was to the thermal optics).

The turret armour is Excellent but there is a notable weak spot around the drivers hatch.

Unfortunately couldn't make the weekly TGIF game this weekend due to my roommate who manages our apartment's router being out on work about that time and was too busy to take my texts. Couple things now:

1. Are there any keyboard profiles that are a little bit more ergonomic? My concern is that in altering the default one I may accidentally overwrite an essential command for another vehicle (haven't touched any of the IFVs just yet).

2. Which scenarios are great to start with? Starting out, some of the ones that purportedly last for more than an hour are a bit off-putting, as well as those that give me a battalion level of responsibility (not that I'm afraid of eventually building up my skills to that point). Probably one that's about 30-40 minutes with the other units being fairly autonomous.

And a stray observation: It took me a shamefully long time to figure out why aiming with the M1A1 HA was so squirrelly compared to my experience with the Leo 2 and the Challenger: I kept neglecting to dump my previous leads with the palm switch. Immediately after that clicked in my head, the next try on the gunnery range I scored 100 out of 100 with 7.4 secs average :)