Challenger 2 any good?

silent-one

Ive ben away a few years and am pleasantly surprised to see the Challenger 2 in the usable list. Is it any good? What does it most closely compare too if anything. On the gun range I seemed to do ok with it but Ive not used it in a full game yet.

Does this mean the UK is using this sim for training now? I thought thats the only way we can get new vehicles?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive ben away a few years and am pleasantly surprised to see the Challenger 2 in the usable list. Is it any good? What does it most closely compare too if anything. On the gun range I seemed to do ok with it but Ive not used it in a full game yet.

Well dare I say its closest to a Challenger 2? :)

It has good protection (apart from a weak point at the driver's station, but stay hull down and you should be OK).

The gun's penetration ability is often discussed, as is its automotive performance.

Does this mean the UK is using this sim for training now? I thought thats the only way we can get new vehicles?

Well I spoke to a UK Officer about it a while ago and they seemed keen to use it as an Officer training / evaluation tool (i.e. map view most of the time) but whilst he was enthusiastic, I don't know if it went anywhere.

I think the uparmored Challenger 2s mobility is actually pretty good given that it weighs about 74 metric tons..

Also according to a Challenger 2 crewman, the modeled gunnery system is not as precise as it actually is in real life. Coupled with a 500 mm of penetration with the Charm 3 round, the fire the tank somewhat undergunned compared to the Leopard 2E and Abrams M1A1 (HA) /A2 SEP.

On a positive note, the tank seems to feature the best side armor scheme of any tank , easily surpassing all Leopard 2 and M1 variants in the game/simulator.

It does seem as if for another tank to have any hope of penetrating the frontal armour it would have to close to a distance where it would be as unhealthy for him as it would be for the Challenger.

Not always. CR2s can't hope to resist something like a Leo 2A5DK firing the latest ammunition even at 2km. This I know because UKA recently ran a scenario with exactly this setup The Leos were killing the CR2s first shot even with the CR2s hull down.

It does seem as if for another tank to have any hope of penetrating the frontal armour it would have to close to a distance where it would be as unhealthy for him as it would be for the Challenger.

Well Ssnake has stated there's going to be some love for the Brit Armour in the next upgrade

Hopefully they will address some of the known issues with the CR2 model.

Because of this: This I know because UKA recently ran a scenario with exactly this setup. And no i dont know about your standards of training but my personal believe is that its ineffective

You don't know about our standard of training (actually you nothing of this subject) yet you believe it it ineffective. You will excuse me if I treat you remarks with the contempt they deserve.

Btw, training standards do not affect the interaction of ammunitiion and armour. If a particular round strikes the turret of a particular tank at a certain angle it will have the same effect whether the crew inside is well-trained or badly trained.

y settings are set to hard. Wow, look at this, the results are incrediable. I believe your team is poorly trained except for 2 of your members. Here is the AAR:

I forgot to ask - who are the two members of UKA who are not poorly trained? Just so that they can glory in your approval and the rest of us can hang our heads in shame.

Mates, let's try not to let our biases and opinions start arguments. We are talking about the top of the line, most advanced military tanks out there, and frankly, they are all great tanks. Sure I have my preferences, in all honesty though, that's all it is. I am just one person out of 7 billion humanoids on this little blue speck, each with their own views and opinions. These war beasts might not be equal in every aspect across the board, but I feel they are quite on par with each other. And frankly, I'm sure if you saw these tanks on the battlefield it would be as allies, think of the fear it would bring to the enemy then! If North Korea or Iran or any other country decides to bring the wrath of the world down upon them, well, sucks to be them...

Like I said, its a subject that promotes "conversation". :o

Indeed. And we could have had a decent conversation about the CR2 v the Leo, but unfortunately Assassin (yes, it is indeed he) chose to make derogatory comments about the training standards of another SB V.U which, IMHO were rude, unnecessary and innacurate. Sad.:(

Mates, let's try not to let our biases and opinions start arguments. We are talking about the top of the line, most advanced military tanks out there, and frankly, they are all great tanks. Sure I have my preferences, in all honesty though, that's all it is. I am just one person out of 7 billion humanoids on this little blue speck, each with their own views and opinions. These war beasts might not be equal in every aspect across the board, but I feel they are quite on par with each other. And frankly, I'm sure if you saw these tanks on the battlefield it would be as allies, think of the fear it would bring to the enemy then! If North Korea or Iran or any other country decides to bring the wrath of the world down upon them, well, sucks to be them...

Agreed.

I have considered the possibility of a western army having to fight a country now considered Friendly.

But as history has shown a friendly status can change very quickly

And a lot of western nations are not as choosy as they used to be with arms sales.

Lets hope it does not come back to bite us in the ass one day.

Since I started this thread Ive got to say how disappointed I am particularly with the troll behavior of dta delta. Having a flame war about my clan/tank is better than you clan/tank is off topic and total BS. The discourse the thread dives into sounds like children fighting over sandcastles.

I ask if the Challenger 2 is any good and what does it compare to and you slag it off. Slag each other off and argue scenarios which have no relevance to the modern battlefield.

Id have expected this behavior in a Call of Duty forum but I really expected more here.