Exiting SB-stuff (again) over at Kriegsimulation

Koen

• 2 weeks later...

That's a very tough mission and one I'm sad to say I've never successfully completed despite a number of attempts over the past two years. I think it requires thorough planning and, to date, I haven't devoted the time to pre-mission planning required to pull it off. I might have to give it another go again soon...

I think I've managed to beat it about twice, and then after only many tries.

It's so much ground to cover that you have to make a read very early on as to what the enemy COA is. You cannot absorb losses, and as a single player, it's a lot of work to manage the entire recon/screening effort to get use out of your M3s for some attrition. All the while, managing the company team getting to the place where you have identified as the enemy attack.

The CSS units really don't have time to get into the fight. Reparing or rearming is just not gonna happen.

Managing the arty fight is a job of its own, especially with such a fast-moving enemy bearing down. It has the potential to change the odds, but needs someone to really watch it, especially since it's (realisitically) limited to the FIST-V.

This makes a fine co-op for 2-4, btw. With the number of tasks to go around, multiple brains make the mission more fun, and more likely for a Blue success.

• 2 weeks later...
That's a very tough mission and one I'm sad to say I've never successfully completed despite a number of attempts over the past two years. I think it requires thorough planning and, to date, I haven't devoted the time to pre-mission planning required to pull it off. I might have to give it another go again soon...

What`s the mission and where can i get it? Many thanks.

Looking forward to part 4. I have to give this scenario another spin to improve my planning skills.

One thing I've found (and this scenario/article demonstrate) is that if you are playing solo, time spent in planning and flexible route management/COA development is the only way to avoid overload once the scenario starts.

Juducious use of triggers and hold points followed by "proceed" commands make management of more than about 2 platoons, MUCH easier.

Even with just a company team, one person is often not enough to mind the AI to maximize its abilities. Especially if you like to spend any time in individual vehicles. Success lies in your ability to work with your whole force, not piecemeal. Some tasks, like recon, require special attention, IMO, and force a reliance on those pre-made routes and triggers, so you can focus on making every move count.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah so they needn't bother with the new graphics engine is 3.0 then? ;)

I've always thought the vehicle textures were well done, it's one of the things that first caught my eye several years ago.

The improved graphics of 3.0 will of course be welcome, especially to the environment. The replacement of infantry sprites with 3D models was quite the improvement as-was. I don't know what the average computer setup is like in in the SB Pro PE community, but I can certainly take some more visual glory and splendor in without having to sacrifice scenario scale and I imagine most are in the same boat. SB Pro PE is pretty efficiently coded for its core tasks, it seems... but that statement probably just elicited crazed laughter from one of the software ninjas of eSim.

• 4 weeks later...

Aha! This is where all those hits to my blog were coming from!

Thanks Koen for the referral!

Part 5 has been up for a while, actually. It's the damn Blogger layout that didn't let you see it. Sorry about that.

Part 5 and Final: Barely Winning at Attrition, Badly Losing at Maneuver

Thanks for reading, guys.

Cheers,

Edited by El_Chacho
ESOL