Update news?

oscar19681

While we're on the subject of the update.

1) Will it support and take advantage of multi-core processors like the i5 and i7?

2) Will it support nVidia's graphics threading optimization?

EDIT: Just read the multi-core thread.

Disappointing to say the least. Well into the 21st century and MC not taken advantage of. :confused: :frown: :confused:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
While we're on the subject of the update.

1) Will it support and take advantage of multi-core processors like the i5 and i7?

2) Will it support nVidia's graphics threading optimization?

EDIT: Just read the multi-core thread.

Disappointing to say the least. Well into the 21st century and MC not taken advantage of. :confused: :frown: :confused:

Oh, it DOES take advantage of it, just not as much as one could expect if SB Pro had been developed for parallel processing from the ground up. We're doing open heart surgery here - making the transition towards parallel processing without breaking anything. So the single thread parts will be gradually replaced over time. Besides, if the single thread performance is good, why would you be concerned about how many cores of your CPU are utilized. It could be a hamster in a wheel, as long as the end result is satisfactory. Mind you, I'm not a Luddite. I would have liked fully parallelized code two years ago. But the change is infinitely easier said than done.

That 21st century remark is needless hyperbole. Multi-core CPUs for consumers have become available on a broad front only about three years ago, maybe four, and during SB1 times even our compilers didn't properly support multithreaded code.

Just another small question:

can you give any information about the required codemeter runtime for the next update? I've seen that there is a new major update available from wibu, Version 5.0. I've installed it and it seems a little bit buggy for me (no huge problems, but the interface is hanging sometimes).

• Members

At the moment we're still working with version 4.5, and I could imagine that we'll stick with it for the release (after all, anyone who wanted to make the switch it could still install the newer runtime independently from SB Pro). The main benefit of version 5.0 seems to be that you can configure CodeMeter sticks with firmware version 2.0 and higher to register as human interface devices (HID), rather than the normal mass storage device. This may be attractive for some armies where USB devices are generally frowned upon, or where the Windows generic USB mass storage device driver has been disabled.

There'll be more than enough new stuff in SB Pro PE this June, not sure if we need the extra hassle of a new runtime.

Well if it's not broken i'm not going to try and fix it, will stick with current version until told to otherwise by Ssnake. As everyone is i am looking forward to the update in June, codemeter can take a back seat for now. :drink:

• 3 weeks later...

Not as much a question as a request, but it's a simple one:

Is it possible to change the colours of the messages you get from your units at the bottom of the screen?

As of now, they're all red. I'd like to see contact reports and "taking fire/lost vehicle"-messages in another colour, to highlight them against all the "advancing to checkpoint"-messages. Sure, you get the audio, but additional highlighting wouldn't hurt - especially since the callsign isn't part of the audio message.

As a suggestion, grey for routine messages, white for events-messages (as it is now), and red for contact-reports and taking fire perhaps?

Well its past mid-April here ;) .... I have been pretty much checking on an hourly basis since days for any upcoming picture or bits of news. I hope something is coming along this week. I even had a dream about the new version of SB last week, so no doubt I'm a geek :o

Well its past mid-April here ;) .... I have been pretty much checking on an hourly basis since days for any upcoming picture or bits of news. I hope something is coming along this week. I even had a dream about the new version of SB last week, so no doubt I'm a geek :o

Yes, yes you are.

:biggrin: