Syrian tank raids

daskal

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was abandoned, wouldn't they have used it for themselves?

Cos they're fricking idiots who are more interested in spouting "Snackbars" rather than thinking logically?

"Fasil, I'm gonna go check out that tank. This shit goes sideways, light it up. Alla's Snackbar."

I would go into how the working class Arabic male thinks , but that's probably bit of a minefield. You should come along to a UK Armour meeting, where we have discussed this freely in the past. :)

A short barreled main gun would mean that you would need to change the ballistic calculation for the rounds, KE would be useless and for HE and HEAT it would have the ballistic characteristics similar to that of a mortar one would think.

Just what's needed, eh?

Cos they're fricking idiots who are more interested in spouting "Snackbars" rather than thinking logically?

That's nonsense. The rebels have been using captured tanks and AFVs already- you think just that they're really that mindless?

If the tank were abandoned, why sneak around it like that? Why destroy it when they can get more use out of it?

The evidence doesn't look to me like it's abandoned, the first boom is the tank firing, you can see the tank rock and the gun physically move- no way the grenades are that powerful to do that, in fact, the second time the grenade doesn't make a discernible sound like the first at all and doesn't move the tank, it's the sympathetic ammo detonation you see. Finally, I believe you can actually hear the engine idling.

The tank is un maned, no engine smk, hatches open. If it were manned the hatches (AS we can see from many vids) would be closed and the turret would be moving covering the arcs..

The first grenade moved the breach to the open position, (blows it back, or destroys it), the second sets off the on board ammo..

He is sneaking as you say IN FRONT of the sights of the crew And with out a personal wpn (strange for a war zone don't ya think?). So sneaking he is not. Sneaking would be coming from the rear where the crew has no wpns pointing. And sneaking does not mean to take the same route again for the second time.

As for the gun firing, it would kick up dust and shit flying around a lot more that we see here, and the shock wave would be greater for both the grenade placer and the guy filming. Ever stand next to (main gun) tank firing?

This is a propaganda film to gain more $ from SA to keep the fight going, nothing more.

Make no mistake- it is a propaganda video, that's not in dispute.

There's no proof that it's abandoned though, there is just circumstantial evidence.

At around 1:06, it looks to me like there might be a body flying out of the turret.

That first explosion going off is the main gun- that's not just the grenade going off. The second time is the grenade going down the barrel and through the open breech, setting off the stored charges. From either of these, you're not entitled to the 'fact' whether the tank is abandoned or not. BTW, Has anybody here ever dropped a grenade down a gun barrel before?

either of these, you're not entitled to the 'fact' whether the tank is abandoned or not. BTW, Has anybody here ever dropped a grenade down a gun barrel before?

No sorry in my school we only learned how to deal with a mounted police charge.LoL

The only thing anyone knows is that the tank was destroyed by dropping a grenade, bomb or or incendiary device dropped down the barrel. That's it. No fact as to whether the tank is abandoned or not is known from this video. However, looking at it around 1:06, that really looks to me like a human torso flying out.

There's no proof that it's abandoned though, there is just circumstantial evidence.

At around 1:06, it looks to me like there might be a body flying out of the turret.

That first explosion going off is the main gun- that's not just the grenade going off. The second time is the grenade going down the barrel and through the open breech, setting off the stored charges. From either of these, you're not entitled to the 'fact' whether the tank is abandoned or not. BTW, Has anybody here ever dropped a grenade down a gun barrel before?

yes a few times on different tanks on the range.:eek2:

That's nonsense. The rebels have been using captured tanks and AFVs already- you think just that they're really that mindless?

If the tank were abandoned, why sneak around it like that? Why destroy it when they can get more use out of it?

The evidence doesn't look to me like it's abandoned, the first boom is the tank firing, you can see the tank rock and the gun physically move- no way the grenades are that powerful to do that, in fact, the second time the grenade doesn't make a discernible sound like the first at all and doesn't move the tank, it's the sympathetic ammo detonation you see. Finally, I believe you can actually hear the engine idling.

I can't believe that any tank crew would let someone simply walk up to their vehicle and pop a grenade down the barrel. Nor that they would allow a group of enemy to ponce about in a totally exposed position less than 100m away without at least turning the turret and giving them a quick burst of coax. Could it be that on the first attempt the grenade got stuck not very far down the barrel, so the blast came out of the muzzle, while the second grenade made it alll the way down to the open (?) breech? Guess we will never know for sure.

I can't believe that any tank crew would let someone simply walk up to their vehicle and pop a grenade down the barrel. Nor that they would allow a group of enemy to ponce about in a totally exposed position less than 100m away without at least turning the turret and giving them a quick burst of coax. Could it be that on the first attempt the grenade got stuck not very far down the barrel, so the blast came out of the muzzle, while the second grenade made it alll the way down to the open (?) breech? Guess we will never know for sure.

No one is saying they are letting them do it, obviously the crew isn't aware of it.

What is that at 1:06? Does that look like a body flying flying out of the tank? If not, what do you think it could be?

The fact is they would not, after all they are fighting for their lives:redface:

Even if the small grenade in a large 125mm barrel did get stuck, it still has the power to send parts of its self to the ends, causing damage. Being close to your average grenade in a blast , is like being kicked in the chest, its strong, in a enclosed area (barrel) is more so.

nah,the first blast is from the g-bomb,it doesnt look like the T72 fired,the 2nd g-bomb did indeed find its mark.hand grenades are pretty powerful,if youve never been around one youd be suprised.ive never been on the recvng end,but ive tossed a few at the range and the suprised me how much punch they have.

didnt look like a body,it just kinda floated like cloth or something on top of the turret or from inside.YMMV.

nah,the first blast is from the g-bomb,it doesnt look like the T72 fired,the 2nd g-bomb did indeed find its mark.hand grenades are pretty powerful,if youve never been around one youd be suprised.ive never been on the recvng end,but ive tossed a few at the range and the suprised me how much punch they have.

didnt look like a body,it just kinda floated like cloth or something on top of the turret or from inside.YMMV.

Even the second grenade or whatever it is didn't rock the tank like the first one did even when setting off the propellant charges. Looks to me like the tank is firing. Make what you will of whatever that is launching up. By the way, you can also hear the engine idling.

No, no I don´t believe it!

See what facts we have:

- 125mm 2A46 Gun Tube with a leght of 6 Meter (6.383 mm )

- Gun Tube is elivated ~ + 3°

- A Handgrenade with a high of ~ 110 mm (Handgrenades are not made to roll somewere..)

- The Man that throw stands 1 Meter deep (He throw it overhead)

Put the Grenade in the first Third of the Tube will effect the Gun Tube, but nothing more, so he have throw it in a minimum of ~3 Meters.

So, how should this work?

Next Question is: Why is he choosing the "Dangerous Site" of the Tank ? Both Hatches are open, it´s very easy to throw a Grenade in the Commanders Hatch. Just one Step on the Roadweels and you are in best Position for a Donking !