Syrian tank raids

daskal

A good read re: armor in built up areas : http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/download/csipubs/gott_tanks.pdf

Read the Grozny and Falujah chapters for some comparison. I agree w/ Ssnake in that the Syrians are pushing in all-armor and lack the house-to-house clear-and-hold taken in Falujah. Whether that is doctrine, or forced on them by resource availability, or the will to risk the troops, who knows.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that if you are going to use tanks and/or AIFVs in an urban environment which precludes any of the crew exposing themselves in order to use external weapons such as the commander's .50 cal MG, the ideal upgrade would be a remote weapon system that can be aimed and fired from the buttoned up position. I would have thought that this type of modification would be quite simple to install, but I have never seen one, so is there something I am missing here?

Seems to me that if you are going to use tanks and/or AIFVs in an urban environment which precludes any of the crew exposing themselves in order to use external weapons such as the commander's .50 cal MG, the ideal upgrade would be a remote weapon system that can be aimed and fired from the buttoned up position. I would have thought that this type of modification would be quite simple to install, but I have never seen one, so is there something I am missing here?

[sarcasm] Have you SEEN the inside of a T-72??![/sarcasm]

Seriously, Tjay there is no way in hell you would be able to mount an Enforcer or Lemur on a T-72, Okay the Gun mount itself would fit OK, but the HMI is another matter, the Screen is a large thick PC Monitor in size, but the Control handles are the Bulkiest component, internally. (Basically Modified CV9030 Controls.)

You could possibly mount on on the TC's side but you would take away most of his toys:

TC Peri

Radio

Breathing space

etc. etc. etc.

:)

Seriously, Tjay there is no way in hell you would be able to mount an Enforcer or Lemur on a T-72, Okay the Gun mount itself would fit OK, but the HMI is another matter, the Screen is a large thick PC Monitor in size, but the Control handles are the Bulkiest component, internally. (Basically Modified CV9030 Controls.)

Well, it has been tried:

PT-91M_%28_MyLifeStory%29.jpg

PT-91M, which is based on a T-72

Edited by rump

Well, it has been tried:

PT-91M_%28_MyLifeStory%29.jpg

PT-91M, which is based on a T-72

That's exactly what I was thinking of. :) Undoubtedly the better option is to use a vehicle specifically designed for urban warfare, but this mod looks like it could be a great interim measure.

Have you applied for some for the regiment, Glorious Leader?

Due to budget cuts we will have to use the BTR-80 BRDM. Till the update.LoL

Its such a Rare vehicle i did-ant add it to my numerous entry's to the Update wish list.

Not sure but i think the Russians only built a few.I have no idea how effective it would be

But it looks the part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QB5imc6wIss

Edited by Marko

EHH??!!

The commander can select ammunition on a T-72??!! HERESY!

And Advanced Diagnostics?

"System works :) "

"System doesn't work :( "

On an M1A1(HA) its a bit easier.

But the Loader needs more maintenance.

"Ow. I bumped my head."

"I'm Hungry."

"I need a wee."

:biggrin:

Well, you can't fight without Tea now, can you?

Its just not Cricket.

(Dammit I should have gotten a picture of that. :()

(Or Coffee for you continental types)

That would be an abomination.

Much more like it. I would be most interested to know if any Western arms manufacturers are currently developing purpose-designed heavy vehicles for urban and counter-insurgency warfare.

Sure, the MRAP program, the M1 Tusk, the Leopard 2 PSO.

Guest Killjoy
Sure, the MRAP program, the M1 Tusk, the Leopard 2 PSO.

..Challenger 2 TES

On the Challenger:

" Boiling Vessel down, Sir!!!"

*Turret wide panic*

"Abandon tank!!

I know I would be panicking! :eek2: