403 error with TankNet

Ssnake

from the whois lookup, it appears the domain expired and was soon snapped up:

Domain ID: D83375302-LROR

Domain Name: TANK-NET.ORG

Created On: 06-Feb-2002 01:58:22 UTC

Last Updated On: 08-Feb-2013 16:07:26 UTC

Expiration Date: 06-Feb-2014 01:58:22 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar: PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com (R27-LROR)

Registrant ID: PP-SP-001

Registrant Name: Domain Admin

Registrant Organization: PrivacyProtect.org

The actual tanknet name has been down for a while. It expired when Geoff died (he owned the right to the server name or something) and they were unable to gain it back because the server company decided to behave like dickheads and put it up for sale. As far as I know, they never acquired it again, and just used the 208 number.

Colin suggests that he read on facebook its temporarily down, and should be back up soon. Lets hope so. I miss the old place rather more than I thought I would.:(

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=109847.0

The actual tanknet name has been down for a while. It expired when Geoff died (he owned the right to the server name or something) and they were unable to gain it back because the server company decided to behave like dickheads and put it up for sale. As far as I know, they never acquired it again, and just used the 208 number.

Colin suggests that he read on facebook its temporarily down, and should be back up soon. Lets hope so. I miss the old place rather more than I thought I would.:(

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=109847.0

Yeah, I always used the IP address to access the page, never a domain name.

Looks like cyber squatters got the domain name. Theoretically someone could host the same forum and website again on a different domain, but someone probably bought those too in anticipation (ie. tank-net.com, tank.net, tank-net.net). Such is the world we live in...

But that doesn't explain the error when you try to access http://208.84.116.223/

This is an example why it's handy to have an 'out of band' way of communicating, like twitter or facebook, not coupled to your domain name.

Not everyone is on those services but at least you can get the word out.

Cybersquatting relates to potential disputes over business or trademarks, i.e., someone other than eSim registers the domain www.steelbeasts.com in order to profit from the sale of the domain. eSim has a business interest in the domain steelbeasts.com to tie into its intellectual property.

In reality, they could just rename the site to something else, like tankaddicts.com, and continue to have their forum like before, there's no business reason why anyone would want to use tanknet per se. There's no link between the name and a business interest, although the 'squatters' probably would sell the domain for cash, there's not a legal dispute over its use.

• Moderators
There's no link between the name and a business interest, although the 'squatters' probably would sell the domain for cash, there's not a legal dispute over its use.

Right, I have run into this before with some websites I have. There are people out there like vultures, they basically look for a domain that has expired and buy it -- no business interest in it whatsoever, just an interest to sell it back to you for more than they paid for it. Basically like holding something hostage/for ransom.

This may or may not be the case here though.

Right, I have run into this before with some websites I have. There are people out there like vultures, they basically look for a domain that has expired and buy it -- no business interest in it whatsoever, just an interest to sell it back to you for more than they paid for it. Basically like holding something hostage/for ransom.

This may or may not be the case here though.

Sounds like a modern form of good old speculation.