eSim Games Special Offer

Ssnake

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't people call it a house or a flat? :confused:

For the same reason why we don't call anything with tracks and armor, a tank.

Anyhow...

I suspect the price will be closer to $45-50.

The fact that eSim is labeling this as v3 reveals the significance of this upgrade because no version of SB has ever progressed beyond the base number of its initial release (SB1 never got past v1 and SBPE has always been v2). I think the price will be set accordingly.

If you bought at $100, you end up paying $150 which is the original purchase price plus a normal upgrade. Not unreasonable.

If you buy at $75, you end up paying 125$ which is essentially a 50% discount for the upgrade.

If included, the license and effort of implementing a new graphics engine alone would justify this price. Even though I don't expect it to bring the visuals up to par with the latest and greatest, I do expect it to open up some doors to new tactical environments.

I paid $125 for ProPE v2.5xx plus whatever each upgrade since cost plus upgrades for one extra license. And I'd do it again.

Simply put: there is no other commercially available sim near this price range that does what SB does. IMHO, to say it is a good deal is no lie.

I've been playing SB since shortly after the release of the very first commercially available version. If you've ever played SB1 (wickedly awesome as it was) you'd know that it really has come a long way. Plus you get the value of this community and direct interaction with the eSim team, for free. If you like AFVs and you're thinking of buying this game...do it! I have yet to hear someone say they regretted it.

[/fanboy] :debile2:

• Members

We will do our collective best to keep the system requirements modest. I can't promise that they will remain identical - you will definitely need more than 64 MByte video RAM, but I think that it's at least six or seven years ago that you actually COULD buy a gaming graphics card with as little memory as 64 MByte. ;)

If you have a PC that is currently struggling to run SB Pro PE, a hardware upgrade is probably necessary. I you have a gaming PC that can run contemporary games already, chances are that you might get similar frame rates as now plus shiny effects, simply because the current engine does not utilize the full potential even of the graphics cards that were sold four years ago.

To give an example, I have a Radeon 4870 in my PC which came out about five years ago. Sure, it was a top of the line card back then, but today its capability must be rated as "mediocre" in comparison to monsters like the Radeon 7990. While it is too early for a final verdict, it seems like this five year old card will still be capable of running the new engine. Maybe I can no longer run SB Pro at insanely high resolutions like 2500x1400 or something; maybe I'll be forced to go as low as (gasp) 1280x720. Like I wrote, it's too early for a final statement. But I wouldn't be overly concerned if I were in your shoes.

:)

We will do our collective best to keep the system requirements modest. I can't promise that they will remain identical - you will definitely need more than 64 MByte video RAM, but I think that it's at least six or seven years ago that you actually COULD buy a gaming graphics card with as little memory as 64 MByte. ;)

If you have a PC that is currently struggling to run SB Pro PE, a hardware upgrade is probably necessary. I you have a gaming PC that can run contemporary games already, chances are that you might get similar frame rates as now plus shiny effects, simply because the current engine does not utilize the full potential even of the graphics cards that were sold four years ago.

To give an example, I have a Radeon 4870 in my PC which came out about five years ago. Sure, it was a top of the line card back then, but today its capability must be rated as "mediocre" in comparison to monsters like the Radeon 7990. While it is too early for a final verdict, it seems like this five year old card will still be capable of running the new engine. Maybe I can no longer run SB Pro at insanely high resolutions like 2500x1400 or something; maybe I'll be forced to go as low as (gasp) 1280x720. Like I wrote, it's too early for a final statement. But I wouldn't be overly concerned if I were in your shoes.

:)

Thanks Ssnake

Going by what you have just stated.

Happy days as they say.

I should be able to run the update.

I run it at 1680x1050x32 with "SLI32xQ CSAA" (whatever all that means) and 8x AF and it looks great. I did have the stretching issue when I tried running it on my laptop, but I suspect that has more to do with the odd resolution of the screen than with SB.

Mind you, I do have the luxury of using a superb gaming rig. Even so, if I set the detail sliders high and am near a large forest or city, the frame rate will still drop pretty low. But moving just the "ground cover" slider down a bit usually remedies that.

So I have a friend here who's just asked a very sensible question!

He's seen me play lots of Steel Beasts and even tried it on my machine a few times. I mentioned the sale to him and he was about to leap on it when he remembered eSim charge for the substantial upgrades.

He asks "Is this upgrade going to cost more than $25? Because if so am I not just going to end up paying more overall?" A good question I thought. All I know is that it won't be released at $25, but I don't know if he can expect to pay MORE over all or less. If it costs more than $25, will the cost of version 3.0 move in accordance with this price change or is he just better off waiting for 3.0 and dropping $100 rather than $100+?

Either way he's not making the purchase until he knows and honestly I don't think I can blame him! If anyone knows the price the upgrade will be, please let me know. I'm eager to get more targe- I mean, uh~ 'friends' into the game :)

Thanks!

Just wait until the price has been announced. There is really no reason to make a decision before that. He can still join you right now, just have him download the sim, and he can borrow an activation (or whatever it's called) from you. Then he can make the purchase decision after the price for the upgrade has been announced.

Just wait until the price has been announced. There is really no reason to make a decision before that. He can still join you right now, just have him download the sim, and he can borrow an activation (or whatever it's called) from you. Then he can make the purchase decision after the price for the upgrade has been announced.

You can borrow activations? How does that work exactly? If i'd know about that i'd have dragged him on sooner! :D

Ok, thinking about it, I might have remembered that wrong. Perhaps you need to purchase an extra license first. Or does everyone have that on their dongle? Can't remember now, it's been a while since I last read about this feature.

Anyway, I'm sure some other person which is more up to date can help you further. Or you can just search the forum for "licence" and maybe some useful threads comes up.

OK! Sorry for being totally dumb and a bit lazy but I did try searching for an answer and couldnt find it.

If I buy this at the reduced price of $75, do I only get the current version?

Do I have to buy the "Upgrade" packs that are listed to get up to version 3 when it's released?

If you buy it now, you will get version 2.654. The current release. And will have to purchase the 3.0 upgrade once its released.

So that is why it works out at about the same price as it was before the price drop.

Okie dokey. Still, will be buying this hopefully on the 26th :) Pay day!

*dances*