LNoT - 08 JUN 13

Gibsonm

Still room for 1 more? *Hand raised*

I tend to be experienced with what I consider smaller engagements with scenarios like:

Patrol 01-B

Stryker Ambush (m1a1)

Cavalry to the Rescue

Power Surge

Coastline conflict

Tank Platoon in Attack

I've used every vehicle in SP Pro that's crewable and feel comfortable operating them. I tend to gun decently well with a recent average of 85% or higher in the scenarios. I'm also fairly inexperienced at most Army tactics. Any advice on stuff to read up on would be nice.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still room for 1 more? *Hand raised*

I tend to be experienced with what I consider smaller engagements with scenarios like:

Patrol 01-B

Stryker Ambush (m1a1)

Cavalry to the Rescue

Power Surge

Coastline conflict

Tank Platoon in Attack

I've used every vehicle in SP Pro that's crewable and feel comfortable operating them. I tend to gun decently well with a recent average of 85% or higher in the scenarios. I'm also fairly inexperienced at most Army tactics. Any advice on stuff to read up on would be nice.

AFAIK, everyone who wishes to join can do so. Here are a couple of guidelines you may wish to address:

a. Using the SB Wiki, get to the Wiki home page, then click on "Index." You'll then get about three options: click on "Full Index." On the Index page, you'll see a "Search" box on the left. I'd suggest that you type in the following searches individually: Formations, Land Navigation, Tactics and Teamspeak. These should get you into the ballpark as far as initial training is concerned;

b. If you have not yet done so, get connected to Teamspeak. This is the system used for all players to speak to one another during a scenario. The above Teamspeak search should give you the required guidance;

c. There is a weekly scenario played by several players, known as the "TGIF." It's played each Friday at 10:00 PM your time (same time zone as I'm in, actually). By getting involved in these simulations, I think that you'll quickly get the idea behind how these games are played. Let others know that you're new to the multiplayer games, and you'll get lots of help. We all had to start somewhere; and

d. Combining "b" and "c" above, I strongly suggest that, for your first TGIF, you get your Teamspeak connection up and running as soon as you can. For example, do not try to do it about an hour before game time! Get it done well in advance: a few days or so in advance is best. Then, on the day, join the Teamspeak link about 9:30 PM. You'll get guidance on how to connect to the game, how to select a vehicle, and what your tasks will be during the game.

With two or three TGIFs under your belt, you'll be more than ready for the LNoT on June 8th. Hope this helps! :)

On Friday (my time) should be in a position to give you orders for Missions 1 and 2 as well as a "staffing list", Radio Callsigns guide and a few other admin things.

e.g. for those of you who want platoon whisper lists, its time to grow up and work on a Squadron or Company net, because that's how this works for us (and a few other countries here).

Bad side - you need to stay brief and not "chat"/ "waffle".

Good side - you know what the rest of the Squadron / Company is doing so you have better SA. OC can talk to everyone at once.

Daskal,

M1A1 (HA) a plenty after the first mission. :)

Curt,

You are more than welcome.

There will be jobs for individual tank commanders, Troop Leaders and Squadron Commanders depending on what level you are comfortable at.

e.g. for those of you who want platoon whisper lists, its time to grow up and work on a Squadron or Company net, because that's how this works for us (and a few other countries here).

I can't see how platoon whisper lists are a negative. It may be something that TS permits that RL doesn't but that is no reason not to take advantage of the facility. Surely it's a matter for the members of the platoon?

I've used every vehicle in SP Pro that's crewable and feel comfortable operating them.

So you are fully conversant with all the SB FCS from the MI, through the Leopard series, the CV90 30/40 series, the M2/M3, the Challenger, the Lemur RWS, and the T72 etc, etc?

As someone who considers himself fully qualified on only three vehicles and competent on perhaps another three, I am mightily impressed. :)

I can't see how platoon whisper lists are a negative. It may be something that TS permits that RL doesn't but that is no reason not to take advantage of the facility. Surely it's a matter for the members of the platoon?

Except it isolates your platoon from your neighbour and adds to the work load of your boss to tell you stuff that you should just "hear".

Anyway Australian units don't have Platoon nets so this LNoT wont either.

So we will have all members of the company in one TS channel, with platoon leaders and CO talking and the rest monitoring.

By the way, how many radios does a real vehicle have? With this arrangement I guess they usually have only one with command vehicles having more?

So we will have all members of the company in one TS channel, with platoon leaders and CO talking and the rest monitoring.

By the way, how many radios does a real vehicle have? With this arrangement I guess they usually have only one with command vehicles having more?

2 is the normal arrangement, I believe

Platoon = radio 1

Company = radio 2

Battalion = radio 3 (Company OC/CO only)

Except it isolates your platoon from your neighbour and adds to the work load of your boss to tell you stuff that you should just "hear".

As its supposed to be "aussi-style", lets do it this way!

Lets leave the S6 related basic disskussion elsewhere? Just sayin :-P

• Members

The commanding officer IIRC is the nominal leading officer with disciplinary powers. The Officer Commanding is whoever is currently in charge (e.g. could be his deputy/XO). But it's about 15 years since someone explained it to me, so my memory may be false.

IMHO it doesn't add to anyone's workload if the members of any particular platoon set up their own whisper list so they can 'talk [privately amongst themselves' if required. All members will also be on the company channel so will 'just hear' all official transmissions.

In any case, how would you prevent members of a platoon from setting up a whisper list if they chose to do so?

IMHO it doesn't add to anyone's workload if the members of any particular platoon set up their own whisper list so they can 'talk [privately amongst themselves' if required. All members will also be on the company channel so will 'just hear' all official transmissions.

In any case, how would you prevent members of a platoon from setting up a whisper list if they chose to do so?

Dude, have you been in the army? ;-)

What the CO does not know, he doesn't have reason to act on.

You find it clever to shout it out here?? :-P

FWIW, the squadron/company net works well: does for Mark, did for me 'way back when. But it needs personnel with the discipline to minimize chatter and use standard troop/platoon - squadron/company drills and SOPs, especially if you have more than one person in a given SB troop or platoon. :thumbup:

Curt,

You are more than welcome.

There will be jobs for individual tank commanders, Troop Leaders and Squadron Commanders depending on what level you are comfortable at.

May I have an individual tank for this go around, and does that mean if my tank gets disabled/destroyed that I'm out until the next round?

So you are fully conversant with all the SB FCS from the MI, through the Leopard series, the CV90 30/40 series, the M2/M3, the Challenger, the Lemur RWS, and the T72 etc, etc?

As someone who considers himself fully qualified on only three vehicles and competent on perhaps another three, I am mightily impressed. :)

I suppose I mean that I know how all the FCS's work. I like to do Instant Action with all the different vehicles. It doesn't mean I'm Buck Rogers with every one of them especially the Challenger 2 and Centauro. That HESH round is like Hail Mary'ing a football (American football).

May I have an individual tank for this go around, and does that mean if my tank gets disabled/destroyed that I'm out until the next round?

Its a pool of people.

So if you lose a vehicle and there is a vacancy somewhere else, you go there.

You aren't tied to you vehicle's fate.

Dude, have you been in the army? ;-)

What the CO does not know, he doesn't have reason to act on.

You find it clever to shout it out here?? :-P

No, but I was once a support helicopter pilot in the RAF and was used to handling multifrequencies.

Sorry, but I don't understand the other questions. :frown:

FWIW, the squadron/company net works well: does for Mark, did for me 'way back when. But it needs personnel with the discipline to minimize chatter and use standard troop/platoon - squadron/company drills and SOPs, especially if you have more than one person in a given SB troop or platoon. :thumbup:

I absolutely agree with that for the official comms and will adapt to any protocol the C.O decides upon and try to make any transmissions on the company net clear and concise. I'm not suggesting ANY change to Mark's comms system. Just saying that the ability TS gives us to have a private platoon 'frequency' is a useful ADDITION and querying why/how is should be banned. But it's no big deal - happy to drop it. :confused:

Just saying that the ability TS gives us to have a private platoon 'frequency' is a useful ADDITION and querying why/how is should be banned.

Because you are transferring the responsibility for listening and communicating up to your boss.

NBG III for example I was a CT commander.

I had to listen up to the BG net and then relay it back down to the Platoon commanders who then relayed it to the vehicle commanders (and the same going up).

Opportunities were lost because of time spent in relay.

Everybody on the same net, I say something once and everybody knows it straight away.

Similarly people in vehicles who get contacted, I know about it straight away and can organise artillery etc., instead of waiting for the Platoon to have their chat and then tell me (if they remember too).

Sure you can have a whisper list to relay the latest exciting developments in the Reality TV sewing finals or other "non game" information but for this LNoT, the OC will talk directly to all his crew commanders in one channel.

Just like some/a few will need to get used to Aust call signs on the map, etc.

Sure you can have a whisper list to relay the latest exciting developments in the Reality TV sewing finals or other "non game" information but for this LNoT, the OC will talk directly to all his crew commanders in one channel.

That is exactly what I have been saying all along. But several posters have been clearly reading what they thought I was saying, not what I was actually saying, - apparently convinced that I was suggesting some change to your official comms system - which I am not and never have! And a platoon whisper frequency is useful for things apart from discussing TV - as those who have ever used one will tell you.

That is postively my last word on the subject.

Because you are transferring the responsibility for listening and communicating up to your boss..

NO YOU ARE NOT. That only happens if the boss sets up a Platoon COMMANDERS' whisper list - which is an entirely different thing. :mad: