What feature will make you happy?

Stratos

A valid point Marko, the problems with the T-90 thermal systems could be from a variety of things, if it's the unit itself overheating because of the climate, bad installation near other hot electronics with poor ventilation etc. It's a different matter than the thermal unit operating and creating an image of the scene.

For instance, let's assume the thermal imager is working correctly, but if it's 80 degrees at night, and your looking for warm bodies, the contrast you'll see on screen will be reduced. Because of the terrain, grassy fields at night are better than rocky terrain given the same temperature. I've lost a target that was standing in front of a hot brick house on a hot summer night because of this. The house was radiating the day's heat and it was at the same temperature as the person I was watching, so it was very hard to see them in front of the home.

Consequently, in colder environments, the cold ground or buildings makes for great contrast against the 90+ degree body or warm vehicle engine. Most people that don't have experience with the technology think it always gives a great image like in the videos, but give me a nice long rainy day and I'll show you a multi-million dollar thermal system that will give a great bland low contrast image of the terrain that won't give you much info on what's out there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A valid point Marko, the problems with the T-90 thermal systems could be from a variety of things, if it's the unit itself overheating because of the climate, bad installation near other hot electronics with poor ventilation etc. It's a different matter than the thermal unit operating and creating an image of the scene.

For instance, let's assume the thermal imager is working correctly, but if it's 80 degrees at night, and your looking for warm bodies, the contrast you'll see on screen will be reduced. Because of the terrain, grassy fields at night are better than rocky terrain given the same temperature. I've lost a target that was standing in front of a hot brick house on a hot summer night because of this. The house was radiating the day's heat and it was at the same temperature as the person I was watching, so it was very hard to see them in front of the home.

Consequently, in colder environments, the cold ground or buildings makes for great contrast against the 90+ degree body or warm vehicle engine. Most people that don't have experience with the technology think it always gives a great image like in the videos, but give me a nice long rainy day and I'll show you a multi-million dollar thermal system that will give a great bland low contrast image of the terrain that won't give you much info on what's out there.

the problems indians has with the T-90 thermals is in desert conditions. Indian T-90 has no airconditioning, and because of this, the temperature inside the turret becomes so high the thermal imager simply isn't able to cool down enough to work properly.

Thanks for that info dejawolf, so it is an actual unit cooling problem then. Like any electronics, once they are in operation you really don't want to exceed 120 degrees Farenheit or you risk reducing their lifespan or outright damaging it.
We had problems with thermal Imaging Systems on vehicles we were designing for middle eastern countries back in the early 90s, we could not get them to go cold enough for long enough.

the problems indians has with the T-90 thermals is in desert conditions. Indian T-90 has no airconditioning, and because of this, the temperature inside the turret becomes so high the thermal imager simply isn't able to cool down enough to work properly.

Indian government refused to purchase air conditioners when initial config for their tanks was selected, according to russian sources... A bit strange way to save money, taking on to account theater of operations...

Back to topic- Its would be very nice to see crewable T-90 or T-80U in SB Pro PE...

I'm gonna take a strech and think that Tacbat meant "no bugs." :biggrin:

Well, not "no bugs" as there will always be a few lurking in the shadows. I'm a realist after all. Just the elimination of any major bugs that hamper game play.

There has already been a significant reduction in their overall population. :thumbup: