CS 2: Behind the Palisades

After something like a months' worth of delays, the next Scenario got off the ground last night as NATO and WP again clashed in the Northern Sector.

This time out was a lot more lively than the first outing; I made contact almost immediately with NATO PCs, who looked as if they were trying to push north and east through the woods NE of Rastatt. Both TS and the game were alive with contact reports, and the AAR showed NATO establishing and maintaining a line in those woods.

Sean has a link to the AAR; as soon as I remember what it is (or he reminds me), I'll post it.

NATO absorbed a lot of gunfire in holding the line; but then so did 334th GTD. The Soviets sustained 38 casualties; if I recall correctly they were all tanks. NATO took 34 losses; but the balance of those were PCs, so you can see where this is headed for the Reds.

On the other hand, a company of T-72s under Sean's command penetrated the enemy's lines and rolled up the northern flank. Luck was with NATO; the rules allow for a force which has penetrated enemy lines to potentially intercept and destroy a resupply convoy, the destruction of which will hamper the hapless sides' ability to fix broken vehicles, successfully refuel and rearm, etc. Sean's company got a piece of the convoy, but they escaped mostly unharmed before his units could tear them to flaming wreckage.

The rules also allow for the generation of Command Post Vehicles, whose loss will hamper the losing sides' capacity to bring units into the next fight. GaryOwen's NATO boys suckered 334th GTD attention with a single Brad who was supposed to provide protection for the CPV. It succeeded, by dying in the process. It succeeded just the same, and 334th GTD never found and killed the CPV.

Thanks to both commanders for their efforts bent toward (finally) making this happen. We tried to bring the Danes on board for this one, they couldn't make it. Maybe next time.

The next match will be in the south part of the map, and will happen in two weeks; at the same time if nothing else changes. That would be 1900 PST 17 May 08 (0300 GMT 18 May 08).

Great fight, great game played by both sides. See you for the next one.

Shot

• 2 weeks later...

The fight continued last night, this time without any delays. I know, I can't believe it myself.

What the fight in the north was for 334th GTD it was in the south for NATO, only more so. 334th at least left survivors; NATO wasn't anything like so kind. Survivors from 188 Panzer Batallion, 511 Panzer Grenadier Batallion, together with reinforcing elements of 322 Panzer Division combined with elements of B Squadron, 2nd ACR and detached elements 7th Armored Division to put the Stroke in Counterstroke, as NATO almost-literally drove the Soviets from the battlefield.

Almost immediately both sides made contact, which was bad news for 334th as they were not situated this time on high ground. NATO plowed into and through three companies in something like fifteen minutes, at the same time throwing back on their heels some screening mechanized infantry in the south-most part of the map.

334th made a brave stand of it, but they were overwhelmed by well-placed concentrations of Bundeswehr and US Army units. These guys had apparently studied under Guderian; they created three or four schwerpunkten which wiped out to a tank the forward-most battalion of Soviet armor and proceeded to get inside the Soviet maneuver-cycle, catching reinforcing units and clawing them also to wreckage.

The high ground available to 334th last time was not employed to advantage this time; this was not necessarily a mistake on the part of WP, however. The high ground that 334th had used so well last time NATO was able to largely obviate as a factor this time; the Boundaries between the two sides were very close, and NATO was able to poise units such that they wouldn't have to worry about the long-range sniping that worked so for 334th before.

Things didn't go all NATO's way; knowing that they might storm through in force 9erRed had arranged for several ambushes. At least two of these met with success, helped by artillery which didn't do anything, except force NATO armor to move, which was all the ambush needed.

NATO lost 55 vehicles, but 334th sustained 109 casualties. That's right, NATO kicked WP's ass into sub-orbit. I'm still wearing GaryOwen's boot-print on posterior-facing surfaces. No, I haven't been able to sit down since last night.

Special mention for the excellent spotrep job done by Ryujin, who finally saw the light and elected to join 334th as they fought to loosen the chains of capitalism from the necks of the proletariat. This man was personally responsible for killing about a dozen AFV, just because he was owning infantry and knew what to do with them. Ryujin has also asked to play for WP on an ongoing basis, in that function. He was clearly enjoying himself; that WP lost was certainly not his fault.

Especial thanks to Chaplain for hosting, in the midst of houseguests no less. For those of you who don't know him, Chap has been one and is of those individuals who this game has done nothing but benefit from. Even-tempered, always willing to help; Chap mounted up when I discovered at the last minute that I needed a host, and he didn't even play. You can't buy that kind of helpfulness, thankfully.

The game wouldn't have happened without him, no doubt all the while finding him checking on the game while attending to his guests. My personal thanks again; it's the rara-avis such as yourself who make the game worth the playing. May we count on you for next time?

Speaking of which, the next match will be two weeks from last night, Saturday, 1900 31 May 08 (0300 1 Jun 08 GMT). I hope to have GaryOwen's boot-print removed from my butt by that time. See you then.

Shot