Consolation prize No. 1

Ssnake

• Members

Given that we had to make the tough but necessary decision to push back the release by one month, I don't want to leave you high and dry without any news about version 3.0 - so, what can I tell without screenshots?

Well, what about the fact that the host of a session can pause a game to let late-comers in (or those who dropped out of a session)?

That's right. :)

The Host will pause the session for everybody and re-open the assembly hall. Those who dropped from the game (or who are simply late) will see it just like a normal game session waiting for the players, so they enter the assembly hall. The host will then send a command to synchronize the session, so the new clients get the computer equivalent of "what happened so far" and reconstruct the scenario's current state. Afterwards the host can unpause the session. The new players will have no command authority over anything, but of course the other players can use the "Give to..." command to hand over some units.

The same technology can also be used to save a mission in progress as a new scenario. Oh, the possibilities...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent news.

properly going to get shoot down for this. But can you reveal any of the new vehicles types

We are going to get in the update.personally i am not to worried how long it takes

Like most would prefer a full tested end product.

Or seeing screen shots till you guys are ready to release them.but i would like some more details about the types of vehicles we will get.(And what will be playable )

But i also fully realise you may not want to reveal to much in case Some of what you stated Does Not make it in. But surly there are vehicles that definitely. will be in the update. Ie Orders From military customers.may be a simple list of what definitely will and what mite Make it in.

• Members
But can you reveal any of the new vehicles types We are going to get in the update.

No. But as far as new playable weapon systems are concerned, I currently count twenty-four (!). Add to that four old vehicles that received new positions, and two vehicles that received a major (functional) update. Then there are twenty new weapon systems without access to their crew stations.

Of course, some are "just" members of already established vehicle families. But still... not too bad, eh?

:)

No. But as far as new playable weapon systems are concerned, I currently count twenty-four (!). Add to that four old vehicles that received new positions, and two vehicles that received a major (functional) update. Then there are twenty new weapon systems without access to their crew stations.

Of course, some are "just" members of already established vehicle families. But still... not too bad, eh?

OK Fair enough. and yes 20 new vehicles is very impressive

I guess me and the guys will have to say. quote_ if we had a playable xxxxxx

After every VU meeting for another couple of weeks.LoL

...I currently count twenty-four (!). Add to that four old vehicles that received new positions, and two vehicles that received a major (functional) update. Then there are twenty new weapon systems without access to their crew stations.

No, not bad at all.

Edited by Scrapper_511

I didnt wanted to ask because I was sure that development will be frozen within days, and bug hunt will start. But now, when we have 1 additional month to wait, I will dare to ask:

Is there any chance that you will implement more detailed and flexible joystick configuration. Namely response curves and dead zones ( for example like in most flight simulations, IL-2, or DCS series) for each axis.

Since I changed to new joystick im having a lot of issues handling gunner Y axis (much more sensitive then X) or tracking slow targets etc..

To the point where I had to swap back to mouse control.

This would really save the day.

It might be possible, BigBadVuk, to handle that through the joystick's drivers depending on model and the like, and it may be possible to set it so that those conditions are only true for SB Pro PE rather than all games. I agree it would be good to see that functionality in SB Pro PE, that may serve as a stop-gap solution though.

That's a really impressive number of new platforms and all. Will there be manuals and familiarization missions for the bulk of them?

It might be possible, BigBadVuk, to handle that through the joystick's drivers depending on model and the like, and it may be possible to set it so that those conditions are only true for SB Pro PE rather than all games. I agree it would be good to see that functionality in SB Pro PE, that may serve as a stop-gap solution though.

That's a really impressive number of new platforms and all. Will there be manuals and familiarization missions for the bulk of them?

Model is Thrustmaster T. Flights - HOTAS

It is pure PnP USB stick , and i dont have any kind of support or tweaking program, that is why im heavily dependent on support within game(s)

99% of sims are good, and it is not required to be so precise - in SB it is different story tho.

Im sorry for going into OT.

Related to topic: i HOPE within those new platforms we will have few of USSR T-xx series as controllable & with proper tutorials. Also - BMPx!

Also, it is not all in vehicles - big, various, apartment buildings and city structures as objects with more details and so on would help to create excellent urban fights ( did any1 mentioned Syria fight)

Related to topic: i HOPE within those new platforms we will have few of USSR T-xx series as controllable & with proper tutorials.

Ssnake said twenty four new weapons systems.

They may not all be new vehicles.

An AGL on a tripod or a different RWS for an existing vehicle (or as I cheekily said before modelling a pistol) may well fall within that list of twenty four.

• Members

For the bulk?

No.

Arguably, some are either so simple to use or a variation of already known vehicles that an own tutorial set isn't warranted. For others, there will be tutorials. Some are both complicated and without tutorials (hopefully not too many). We hope that we can at least quickly fill the SB Wiki with the necessary information to get you started.

Pistol. ;)

But it is 1am or thereabouts over his way. :)

That could be very handy.

Riding across the Northern German Plain standing in the cupola gawping at the new visuals, CRACK!

"The f**k was that??!! And why is that bush shooting at me?"

*Lines up 3D viewing Crosshairs, Hammers SpaceBar*

BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!, AAAH!

"Take that you Red/Blue/Green/other indeterminate coloured Bastard!"

I might even guess that it would have a "Coolness" factor far in excess of Zip's "Strap on" AK copy.

Fun times. :biggrin:

I'm just dribbling with anticipation right now!

I'm thinking this new "Go back and Synchronise" feature is the single biggest improvement in the game (For me anyway)

And it will enable campaign missions to run concurrently with immediate effect.

Pz Bt 911 and UKA's first outing with the crewable Challenger 2 springs to mind, that was supposed to take 3 days, we did it in 3 hours, this feature will really allow us to take our time with this type of mission now.

Well Done eSim!! :thumbup: :clap:

• Members
Ssnake said twenty four new weapons systems.

They may not all be new vehicles.

To qualify as a "weapon system" in this context, there must be at least a combination of one weapon with one sensor other than human eye sight, or alternatively a weapon mounted on a vehicle. It could have an accessible crew position, or it might be a combination of weapon and vehicle.

Typically, if there is a crew position, more activities are required from the user than just to point and shoot. These could be preparatory activities, or selecting between different sensors and/or firing modes. A pistol or an assault rifle would not qualify as a "weapon system". An MG mounted on a truck on the other hand would (although this would be the lowest end of the spectrum ... the new CV90/30-FI probably marks the other extreme - so, yeah, that's one of the two vehicles that "received a major functional update"; until now it was all just good-natured fun, the new CV90/30 will be much closer to the real thing. It's certainly a borderline case; I would not necessarily want us to implement another vehicle to that level of detail).

I have two broad questions, please answer and omit as you see fit.

1. How is the mechanized infantry combat aspect improved? Especially CQC in town/forest, natural camouflage against thermals (more bumps?), and behavior routine combined with squads' "parent" IFVs.

2. How is the artillery arm improved? I'd be very happy to drop some heavy, damaging shells instead of current mortar-like nuisances.

I'm sure that it will now become apparent why Ssnake didn't want to publish information ahead the actual version release. Once a few morsels are placed on the plate the result is a demand is for more and more, with a deluge of questions about the features that interest each person most.

How about we let him get on with the important job of sorting out the bug issue?

• Members

I have no problem with pestering questions, as long as everybody accepts that I won't answer all of them (at least not now). The actual bug fixing is done by the beta testers and the programmers, my duties are in customer relations, marketing, sales ... and writing checks. :o

Also, I can say that while we've made substantial progress in some areas, don't expect wonders in every area. Steel Beasts was and still is a vehicle centric combat simulation, and "close quarters combat" means something entirely different for infantry or for tanks. Steel Beasts is no first person shooter, and will never be one, so certain forms of infantry-centric combat will always be either abstracted or automatized.

Automatic behaviors are inherently problematic. Either they are very predictable and unsuitable in 50% of all cases, or you give the infantry a high degree of autonomy and lose control over their behavior, so you'll curse at them for the other 50% of all situations.

That said, much of what's new in 3.0 will lay the groundwork to expand upon in future installments. The beauty of the whole situation is that soon we'll have both the programming capacity and the opportunity for long-term planning that allows a systematical approach. At the same time important milestones into the desired direction will already allow you to try out new concepts.

Apologies for remaining vague and ominous. I hope my words will become clearer as more features are being revealed in the coming weeks.