I will give this another shot...

Relic

After a 6 year hiatus from SB I just placed an order for the game and manual today. (I sold my old copy and dongle if I recall... I know I don't have it anymore) I never really grasped how to play and probably should have connected with some guys online to show me the way. I was splitting my time between flight sims and SB and never learned how to play SB. Yet I have always seemed to keep tabs though SIMHQ on whats going on with it and kicked myself for getting rid of it. I want to play with a group online. Anyone Units take on immature, 40 somethings who really want to learn the ropes? Is there really much of an online presence still?

There are a number of virtual units whose COs or members will chime in soon, I'm sure. There is also the weekly TGIF game every Friday night at 10 Eastern time. There are often multi-week campaigns such as the Operation Variable, NBG and Red Leopard events as well as dedicated events such as Long Night of Tanks. You'll have plenty of opportunity to play online. Don't discount single-player practice though - it's invaluable!

You can also "borrow" a license on a temporary basis from those community members who have spares. I'm sure they'll offer once they see this. You just download the code, install it, then pick up a loaner license over the internet to try it out.

Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack Relics thread, but thought I'd ask here instead of creating a new thread.

I've been perusing the MP forums, but can't find any info that answers my specific q:

Can new/inexperienced players sign up as drivers (instead of TC's)?

Myself and a friend ( bflyblue, he is waiting for his dongle to arrive) would be very keen to join up for some MP, but not confident enough as yet to be entrusted with TC slots.

We'd probably end up here...

1BxFlmb6S6E

• Moderators
After a 6 year hiatus from SB I just placed an order for the game and manual today. (I sold my old copy and dongle if I recall... I know I don't have it anymore) I never really grasped how to play and probably should have connected with some guys online to show me the way. I was splitting my time between flight sims and SB and never learned how to play SB. Yet I have always seemed to keep tabs though SIMHQ on whats going on with it and kicked myself for getting rid of it. I want to play with a group online. Anyone Units take on immature, 40 somethings who really want to learn the ropes? Is there really much of an online presence still?

Welcome back. You should play TGIF each Friday (2100 CST). There are VUs yes, and you can try those too, but for the most part everyone at TGIF is courteous and mature, and there is always some nice tank action to be had on a regular basis there.

Sure, we may get carried away sometimes and everyone gets excited to win on the occasion, but everyone is always respectful. Give it a try. And no, you don't have to be a professional to attend -- it can be a good place to learn. :)

Getting comfy in the TC seat can easisly be done by using the tutorial missions.

In an MP-session its best when you run your own vehicle. The more expericed players can and will give you guidance on how to move on the "field".

You will not learn much staring through the drivers vision block for 2 hours ;-)

If you do the download option, you can start reviewing the documents and manuals in the associated docs folder. Also, single player missions are great for practice. I find I'm in the map window most. Then external and/or commanders if there is a peri / CITV / TIM. Thirdly gunner's. Driver's spot is great too depending on situations.

One thing I would recommend before the Friday night multiplayer session is to get the appropriate ports forwarded prior to game start. If you are having difficulties, feel free to ask.

Oh, and don't forget to install Teamspeak 3 if you haven't already. TS3 info is on the home page.

And welcome aboard!