Consolation Prize No. 4

Ssnake

Wow, where did you get the opportunity to test those factors? The real A5?

Yep*. It's not difficult, just set the computer to display superelevation or lead, and then fiddle with the knobs that set elevation and temperature. The computer will display the results in mils. Obviously, the results will differ based on the ammo type as well, but I seem to recall we tested them with the HEAT-values as the norm.

* Well, I say the A5 because that's the common denominator. The truth is, it has been tested on Leo1A5s and Leo2A4's - but the computer is the same, so there's no cause for any difference for other modern Leo[apart from the obvious difference in muzle velocity].

Some years ago, there was some murmuring amongst norwegian tankers regarding the accuracy of practice rounds, And since the live firing range was located in the mountains, speculations arose as to whether zeroing guns at elevation A could produce deviation at elevation B. The [very uofficial] experiment I'm talking about was conducted in light of this. And the conclusion was that misjudgements wrt altitude could not possibly account for misses, because of the miniscule effect air pressure has on the trajectory.

Edited by Andrimner

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is handier (is there such a word?)

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

Pffft,sure...if you like things easy and convenient. I mean really, who wants that?

I'll stick to my slide-rule, thank you very much! ...Oh, and I'll dispatch a runner and/or carrier pigeon with the position of the enemy just as soon as there's a break in the clouds and I can get a few decent sextant observations.

Now...where did I leave my typewriter?

:cul:

Pffft,sure...if you like things easy and convenient. I mean really, who wants that?

I'll stick to my slide-rule, thank you very much! ...Oh, and I'll dispatch a runner and/or carrier pigeon with the position of the enemy just as soon as there's a break in the clouds and I can get a few decent sextant observations.

And I suppose you have a personal assistant who enters these forum posts for you from your hand written notes?

Yep*. It's not difficult, just set the computer to display superelevation or lead, and then fiddle with the knobs that set elevation and temperature. The computer will display the results in mils. Obviously, the results will differ based on the ammo type as well, but I seem to recall we tested them with the HEAT-values as the norm.

* Well, I say the A5 because that's the common denominator. The truth is, it has been tested on Leo1A5s and Leo2A4's - but the computer is the same, so there's no cause for any difference for other modern Leo[apart from the obvious difference in muzle velocity].

Some years ago, there was some murmuring amongst norwegian tankers regarding the accuracy of practice rounds, And since the live firing range was located in the mountains, speculations arose as to whether zeroing guns at elevation A could produce deviation at elevation B. The [very uofficial] experiment I'm talking about was conducted in light of this. And the conclusion was that misjudgements wrt altitude could not possibly account for misses, because of the miniscule effect air pressure has on the trajectory.

The parameters influence on AMX30B2 with HEAT Round at 2000m:

56e83ce0b407c_influencedesparametresAMX3

influence des parametres AMX30B2.rar

Sextant? here you go :) Me getting instructed on how to use one by the Master of a large containership

_DSC7095.jpg

• Members

No, but a few weeks ago I wrote that we have laid the ground work for it. Volcano has to completely rework most of the sounds however so we can utilize the surround sound options, so it'll come with a release after 3.0 .

No, but a few weeks ago I wrote that we have laid the ground work for it. Volcano has to completely rework most of the sounds however so we can utilize the surround sound options, so it'll come with a release after 3.0 .

More Steel Beasts awesomeness on its way from eSim then? You guys are really pulling out all the stops. I mean you haven't even released 3.0 and I'm already looking forward to the features coming in 3.x you've mentioned (weather effects, surround sound). This just keeps getting better and better; keep up the outstanding work! :thumbup:

Hehehe, true, im starting to feel like little kid watching his mom making some big cake, that requires few stages to be complete - if you know what i mean..

But at the end this is going to be (imho) big improvement as much as SB pro PE was over first SB ( at least from the eye cendy point of view)

Thanks for the recap, I must have missed it, but great news all the same.