I Can't find the M1A2

Angry.Kid

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ssnake, any chance we can get a SEP wiki entry for Consolation Prize #5? Looks great. :)

Doubt that will happen until after the release and we've had the opportunity to play with the thing first. Some point after that, a brave soul will rewrite the current entry and we're off, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Of course, I could be wrong, since V-man didn't port the M1A1 page to the new wiki, perhaps something is in the offing.

I never fought a frogfoot, but I don't think you'd fair to well without anti-air. They're a lot faster targets than the loitering A-10 you know. I think you already know this, but I thought I would mention it before you started screaming, "Tenno Heika Banzai!" :wink:

Well it was more to do with they tactics they used, low & slow plinking at you with 23mm cannons and your TC being something akin to John Rambo. :biggrin:

• Moderators
Well it was more to do with they tactics they used, low & slow plinking at you with 23mm cannons and your TC being something akin to John Rambo. :biggrin:

The fact that you could shoot them down with a single 50 cal impact anywhere didn't exactly help either. ;)

Edited by Volcano

Hmm, I thought I did... but maybe I didn't. Does the new wiki M1A1 page still have a lot of formatting issues for you?

Well, it isn't visible in the vehicle list... Nope, I've got the M1 and the 'A2, but no 'A1. The old page is accessible through the "complete index" link, but nothing in the new format.

• Moderators
Well, it isn't visible in the vehicle list... Nope, I've got the M1 and the 'A2, but no 'A1. The old page is accessible through the "complete index" link, but nothing in the new format.

Hmm, I have no idea what happened to it. It was there before, because I recall fixing the format. Now I see it is gone, and only a redirect is available (which redirects to itself). Maybe Sean or Homer knows what happened to it.

The old page seems to be HERE

...so I guess Sean will have to port it over again, then I have to make the formatting changes again... UGH. Ho-ray for the new wiki.

• Moderators
It either never was imported or someone deleted it. I could have sworn I was looking at it somewhere along the line, but I guess not. I started copying it over.

Thanks. Actually, yeah, I am not sure myself. I think I was remembering editing another page... it seems I can't remember what I have and have not done. :shocked:

...ok back to the regularly scheduled posts...

How about posting the 3.0 SEP article in the wiki? :)

Is it just me or does the Wiki's info for the M1A2's armor ratings appear to be a little off:

Armour protection:

Frontal Turret Armour: 522mm-~780mm vs KE, 896mm-1220mm vs HEAT

Frontal Hull Armour: 125mm-~490mm vs KE, 285mm-910mm vs HEAT

Quote from P. 102 of M1 Abrams at War by Michael Green and Greg Stewart:

"The SEP turret armor upgrade is, according to some educated guesses, able to provide shaped-charge protection of almost 65 inches (1,620 millimeters) of steel armor on the front of it's turret. Protection against sabot rounds is estimated to be about 37.6 inches (940 millimeters) of steel armor. In contrast, the Russian army's T90 main battle tank turret composite armor array is about 40 inches (1,000 millimeters) RHA equivalent." (1,000mm versus sabot or shaped-charge? The book doesn't say.)

On the same page the M1A1 (HA) is said to have:

Shaped-charge: 1,050mm RHA

Sabot: 600m RHA

Just food for thought.

Well the wiki is just a swag, but honestly, the M1A2's armor package is only a modest improvement over the M1A1HA/HC. Based on a thoroughly unscientific side by side comparison I did during my 'A2 transition long ago, there's perhaps a nominal 40mm difference in actual RHA thickness in favor of the 'A2 (about 10mm on the glacis and about 30mm on the backing plate).

Granted, the internal composite composition could have changed, but there's less than a ton of weight difference between the two turrets, and most of that is taken up by the CITV, its armor cap, and the heavier electronics suite.

well, the M1A2 SEP is heavier than the M1A2.

some weight figures:

M1A1 abrams: fully loaded: 58970 kg turret: 20950 kg hull: 36250 kg empty: 57200

M1A1HA: fully loaded: 61300 kg turret: 23000 kg hull: xx kg'

M1A1 AIM SA: fully loaded: 63500 kg turret: 23496 kg hull: 38700 kg

M1A2 abrams: fully loaded: 62100 kg turret: xx kg hull: xx kg

M1A2SEP: fully loaded: 63100 kg turret: 24400 kg hull: 38700 kg

so M1A2 SEP is 1.8 tonnes heavier than M1A1HA.

From what I've read the M1A2 SEP features either the same or heavier armor than the M1A1 HA+. But beside my reading I'd be the last one to know.

The SEP also features an improved level of side armor protection than its predecessors. How much improvement is not for people like me to know of course. I'll dream it to be between 900mm and 1,000mm RHA :heu:.