screenshots 3.0

Stevo

Gah, too many threads going on here. ;)

Looks like I posted in the wrong one earlier.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showpost.php?p=236030&postcount=81

In any case, we fixed this now. Henceforth, in SB the "T-72B" is the 1985 variant of the T-72, the one NATO called the "super Dolly Parton" T-72 that had ATGM capability but didn't have ERA. This is consistent with Jane's designation for it and they too make no mention of ERA. The apparently commonly misnamed "T-72BV" (which is the T-72B with K1 ERA added), will be called "T-72B(K1 ERA)".

I agree that the most important thing with vehicle names, especially since they can very different based on the source (especially because some vehicle names are unofficial designations within the military for example), is that we are descriptive enough to the point that everyone can easily tell what it is.

IMHO its better omit missile capability for "Super Dolly Parton". Those vehicles were produced in 1983-1984, and only pilot batch of guided weapon system was available at that time-frame(in 1984). Some of those are still in use by russian army.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators
IMHO its better omit missile capability for "Super Dolly Parton". Those vehicles were produced in 1983-1984, and only pilot batch of guided weapon system was available at that time-frame(in 1984). Some of those are still in use by russian army.

We will consider it, but it can be tricky since users probably created scenarios with the T-72B, knowing that it had ATGM capability. If there was a T-72B version in existence, without ERA, but with the ATGM then it is better to leave it like it is.

Will be interesting to see how things like the "low battery" warning are implemented.

Do you have to return to vehicle to exchange, etc.

I think this one works the same as in real life. If you swear loud enough at your monitor and slap the side if it, the CLU will come back to service. :D

• Members
Will be interesting to see how things like the "low battery" warning are implemented.

Do you have to return to vehicle to exchange, etc.

No. It's just a downtime that occurs, and you hear a sound loop to indicate the changing of the battery. We assume that the user would have enough batteries with him.

In the case of the Spike missile, if the cooling cartridge is expended, you can still fire the missile, but only with daysight guidance.

We will consider it, but it can be tricky since users probably created scenarios with the T-72B, knowing that it had ATGM capability. If there was a T-72B version in existence, without ERA, but with the ATGM then it is better to leave it like it is.

All thish T72 shtuff becomsh completely clear onesh you've downed a couple of Wodkas. Bottles that ish - not glasshes. Hic. :) Training ish available on Monday nishe. But you mush bring your own Wodka.

• Members

Fortunately this isn't CSI where you apparently can zoom up any reflection to life size without apparent loss of information, or the resulting image would tear a hole into the fabric of space-time (a.k.a. "What has been seen cannot be unseen", or "Mine eyes! The goggles do nothin'!")

All thish T72 shtuff becomsh completely clear onesh you've downed a couple of Wodkas. Bottles that ish - not glasshes. Hic. :) Training ish available on Monday nishe. But you mush bring your own Wodka.

Interesting, you allmost write Wódka like a real Polish guy. ;)

Interesting, you allmost write Wódka like a real Polish guy. ;)

Thank you for the tremendous compliment. Trivia snippet: I was at school with the son of Wg Cdr Kellet who commanded 303 Polish Squadron during the Battle of Britain. Also, Wotjek is my favourite bear. :)

On a more serious note, I still feel shame for the way the Polish soldiers who had fought alongside British troops were treated after the war. :(

Thank you for the tremendous compliment. Trivia snippet: I was at school with the son of Wg Cdr Kellet who commanded 303 Polish Squadron during the Battle of Britain. Also, Wotjek is my favourite bear. :)

On a more serious note, I still feel shame for the way the Polish soldiers who had fought alongside British troops were treated after the war. :(

Indeed, wasn't that the whole reason we started in the first place?

What a bunch of sell outs we were. :(

Still.

You guys got your freedom in the end when USSR imploded. :)

My alter ego is giving me disgusted looks now.

Comrade Hedgehog is not impressed.

Lovely new screenshots..again! :)

I see many buildings with new textures, interrior and soldiers taking positions in the buildings. Will all buildings get updates like this in future? And most important.. can the player as commander and using his bino or sights see those soldiers moving inside those buildings when checking the windows?

Cheers!

@Tjay, Hedgehog, well this is history, and politics, mainly politics.

BTW if you guys are interested in some exotic stuff, here is interesting topic I created on TankNet.

http://208.84.116.223/forums/index.php?showtopic=37523

A small bonus and advertisement to the above link, there is interesting bastard child of BMP-1 and CV9040 we Poles created.

800px-BWP-40_NTW_12_93.jpg

Behold BWP-40! ;)

We made also a bastard child of BMP-1 and LAV-25. :D

Pity that these mutants never got further than prototypes, it would be interesting to seem them in SB.

BTW mods, maybe we should move this OT somewhere?

One question regarding the blackhawks. In the pictures they use M240 as armament for the side door gunners. can we change that in the editor for 0.50 cal or miniguns? Quite a big difference in defensice firepower...

/KT

Its a transport helicopter, not a friggin de facto gunship! ;)

@Tjay, Hedgehog, well this is history, and politics, mainly politics.

BTW if you guys are interested in some exotic stuff, here is interesting topic I created on TankNet.

Thanks for the heads-up Damian. But I would say treatment of the Poles by the Allies immediately after the war is now more history than politics, although it was certainly politics at the time.

Incidentally, it is now accepted by WWII historians (but not widely publicised) that if it had not been for the combat experience ex-Polish Air Force pilots (and Czechs) brought to RAF Fighter Command in early 1940, we would have lost the Battle of Britain.

And I'm sure you know that the Poles were denied particpation in the VE Day parades in order to appease Stalin.