screenshots 3.0

Stevo

The 109s don't worry me :)

So its your contention that those trucks will stand up to a battery of ICM, or do you believe that they will never get within range? Either assumption is foolish if you ask me...

So you have unloaded and then unboxed 155mm ammo?

I have seen a M-109 loaded from a FAASV, easily simulated by said truck. Does not simulating a crew unpacking 120MM rounds slow a Leo-2s rate of fire in SB? I dont see what the point is here?

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen a M-109 loaded from a FAASV, easily simulated by said truck. Does not simulating a crew unpacking 120MM rounds slow a Leo-2s rate of fire in SB? I dont see what the point is here?

Well if you read it in conjunction with Hedge's post (sorry but I don't have enough time to nest all the quotes) where he basically said unloading ammunition off a truck doesn't take much time. ...

The fact is that unloading ammunition off a truck does take time, esp if you don't have manual handling equipment (forklift, etc.).

A truck is a truck, not a purpose built SPA ammunition vehicle with gantry conveyor belt etc.

If the person scripting the ammunition reload is doing it realistically there should be quite a delay between the truck arriving and the guns getting all their ammunition.

Of course if they just drive up, the usual lightning fast AI reload proceedures apply.

It all depends on how much detail the scenario designer wants.

• Members
I was just wondering if the possible shorter (if you place the on map units close to the target) flight time of the shells has any effect.

Yes, of course the flight time will have an effect. We're modeling the trajectories of the different calibers and rounds with reasonable accuracy. There are still certain non-linear properties of the rounds that we don't yet model adequately - like the change in air drag when transiting from supersonic to sub-sonic velocities, or the excessive drift that occurs at near-vertical firing angles. But that's a level of refinement probably well outside of the scope of our little simulation here.

Yes, of course the flight time will have an effect. We're modeling the trajectories of the different calibers and rounds with reasonable accuracy. There are still certain non-linear properties of the rounds that we don't yet model adequately - like the change in air drag when transiting from supersonic to sub-sonic velocities, or the excessive drift that occurs at near-vertical firing angles. But that's a level of refinement probably well outside of the scope of our little simulation here.

Wow

So can I assume that different calibers of rounds will have different dispersion on target?

Varying "hitting power" on target also? i.e. for larger calibers, larger suppression, more chance of damage on armored targets, larger smokescreen, etc.

Wow

So can I assume that different calibers of rounds will have different dispersion on target?

Varying "hitting power" on target also? i.e. for larger calibers, larger suppression, more chance of damage on armored targets, larger smokescreen, etc.

Well a lot of that, I suspect, will be up to the player and how they employ the asset.

Request a six tube 155mm smoke mission for 100 x 100 and you will get a small smoke screen, albeit very dense (because that is what you asked for).

I don't think the AI is smart enough to adjust your request to say three tubes if that's all that is necessary.

Similarly asking three, 60mm Mortars to obscure a strip 100 x 400 will probably give you sparse coverage at best.

I believe the same applies to more destructive natures, the system will generate the effect you ask for, not adjust/revise your request to make the best use of what you have

I really like the adjustable rate of fire for the mortar teams.

A well trained crew could go through forty rounds very quickly

that's assuming that troop quality is tied to the difficulty level.

I guess it would be possible to try and simulate a British plt HQ team with the 60mm mortar. Haven't they shifted to the 60mm from the 51mm recently?

So its your contention that those trucks will stand up to a battery of ICM, or do you believe that they will never get within range? Either assumption is foolish if you ask me...

It was partially an in joke and partially the fact that the Grad can unload in 20 seconds and then scoot. :)

Just to be sure: WRT these pics:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18346&g2_serialNumber=2main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18414&g2_serialNumber=2

...only the side firing the shells will be able to see them in flight on map, correct?

No, you can only see them in the mission editor test-phase.

During actuall sessions, you will not see them in flight

No, you can only see them in the mission editor test-phase.

During actuall sessions, you will not see them in flight

Why did you spoil the party?

I was all ready to spin a rumour about counter battery fire radars being modelled! ;)

Oh and before anybody does take that and run with it, as far as I know they aren't. :)

kool, mortar teams :)

can they be loaded and unloaded into the various cars, technicals, apcs & donkeys for improved mobility?

must not be easy to run with the gear on their back ;)

They can be transported...car, APC, Helicopter...and so on

Oh yes, I agree. But there may be ways to get around that a little, or perhaps a mission would have only a limited amount of artillery available. I'm just thinking about missions made for fun as opposed to training.

Ah, yes, fun. I had forgotten about that. ;)

Speechless! The arty element is a huge game changer…just amazing…and the party continues!!

I have heard that v3.0 is so different to v2.654 that when it comes out it will have a new name: 'Steel Tubes Pro PE'. This is to reflect the fact that most missions will feature only recce vehicles to spot enemy assets and artillery to destroy them. Tanks? AIFVs? Who needs 'em?:(